• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

If you had to restart, what would you do differently?

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-00154 (deceased)
I picked up my FL5 (black) in December of 2022. After nearly 27,000 miles, I looked at a few elements and thought ‘I wish I had done a better job taking care of that.’ If I started over, what are things that I would do differently?

Unfortunately, I have to start over. 2 weeks ago someone hit my car, totaled it, and fled the scene. I am picking up a new car tomorrow (boost blue). I wish I wasn’t in this position to begin with, but I am also looking forward to starting fresh again!

Here are a few maintenance/preservation items that I did that I was happy with and will do again as well as a few things I wish I had done. What are recommendations that you have or things your regret?

Things I’ll do again:

1) PPF: I had the entire front, mirrors, and side skirt/rocker panels
2) Ceramic Coat: It was impossible to keep a black car clean, but ceramic genuinely made it easier.
3) All Season TuxMats: Installed them a little late. I wore out the Driver carpet and the carpet underneath a little too much

Things I wish I did:

1) Seat Covers: I wear jeans a lot and it started to wear out the driver’s seat.
2) Screen Protector on media screen: It seems that touching the screen scratches it
3) Finding something to protect the suede: Nothing wears out more that Suede.

Let me know what other recommendations you have that I, and others, should/could be more mindful of!

EDITS: Recommendations that others have made.

- Suede protection for seats and armrests: https://www.pinnaclewax.com/pbl-alcantara-protectant.html
- OEM high wall floormats or TuxMats
- OEM Cargo Tray
- XPEL paint protection film (Front, A pillars/roof, rocker panels)
- ExoShield Windshield Protection Film
- Flap Fab Fender Vent Stone Guards
- surfaces including wheels, calipers, and windshield - GTechniq CSL + EXOv4 + C2V3
- Touch Screen protector: (beware of imperfections in dust particles, bubbles, improperly lining up) https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Tempered-Protector-Dashboard-Touchscreen/dp/B0B1VYNHZT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3H3QHAOKRL7VN&keywords=2023+civic+screen+protector&qid=1703697941&replacementKeywords=screen+protector&sprefix=2023+civic+screen+protecto,aps,206&sr=8-5&vehicle=2023-59-752------------&vehicleName=2023+Honda+Civic&th=1
- Gauge Screen Protector: anyone have a recommendation?
- Seat Covers: “Hypersuede” by https://www.ebay.com/usr/hyperparts23?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559
- Ask dealership to not detail car or remove any protective wrap from shipping. Have a qualified detail shop perform anything that could harm the paint and finishes.

11th Gen Honda Civic If you had to restart, what would you do differently? _albumtem
Sponsored

Last edited:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
27,000 miles is a fair amount of driving for one year! You got after it. Thanks for sharing your experience on the wear and tear items. I have the following preservation/maintenance items:

1. OEM Contoured High Wall Carpet Floormats - factory red mats remain in the plastic in the attic.
2. OEM Cargo Tray
3. XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film (Front Bumper, Hood, Front Fenders, A-pillar and Roof kit, B & C Pillars, Side Mirrors, Headlights (Fusion), Rocker Panel Kit, and replaced the factory film on the rear doors with a larger custom piece for more coverage.
4. ExoShield Windshield Protection Film
5. Flap Fab Fender Vent Stone Guards
6. Navigation Screen Protector
7. Ceramic Coating on all surfaces painted surfaces including wheels, calipers, and windshield - GTechniq CSL + EXOv4 + C2V3

No regrets on any of the selections and I'm happy with them. They have served their purpose thus far. Not sure I would bill any as must haves for anyone, but they work for me. The only miss is a solution for the gauge cluster. I ended up having it ceramic coated to prevent scratches, but may end up putting film on it at some point.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Really sorry for your loss, but a fresh start in a new color sounds nice. Here are a few links to get you started:
  • Seat Covers: This guy makes great front and rear seat covers in "hypersuede". He has an option for the front seats in black or red and back seats in red, the material is plush, and the quality is quite nice. I ordered a red rear seat cover for my FL5 and have been pleased. Send him a message through eBay, or at hyperparts23@gmail, or text him at 504-353-4943--he's very responsive and his pricing is better when buying directly vs via eBay: https://www.ebay.com/usr/hyperparts23?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559
  • Touchscreen Protector: Spigen has never let me down. There are cheaper alternatives... but I'd say this has been well worth the price: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Tempe...-----------&vehicleName=2023+Honda+Civic&th=1
  • Gauge Screen Protector: I ordered one through MikStore, but I can't seem to find it on their site today. I'd get one as several people around here have reported issues with scratching theirs with microfiber cloths.
  • Cargo Tray: Get the OEM cargo tray, but pass on their other floor mat options, in my opinion.
  • OEM Illuminated Door Sills: They're not worth it, don't bother.
Beyond that, I think you're right on with a good PPF kit, ceramic coat, and TuxMats. I like the red carpets, but I have a 4-year-old with an affinity for sandboxes and puddles. We'd trash the carpeting in no time.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Nothing I also purchased in December 14th 2022 and its stored with 2700 miles on it .

VT Skier

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 SGP
Has anyone installed the Alcantara steering wheel? Is that worth it?

OP
OP
AWR1997

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
AWR1997

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
27,000 miles is a fair amount of driving for one year! You got after it. Thanks for sharing your experience on the wear and tear items. I have the following preservation/maintenance items:

1. OEM Contoured High Wall Carpet Floormats - factory red mats remain in the plastic in the attic.
2. OEM Cargo Tray
3. XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film (Front Bumper, Hood, Front Fenders, A-pillar and Roof kit, B & C Pillars, Side Mirrors, Headlights (Fusion), Rocker Panel Kit, and replaced the factory film on the rear doors with a larger custom piece for more coverage.
4. ExoShield Windshield Protection Film
5. Flap Fab Fender Vent Stone Guards
6. Navigation Screen Protector
7. Ceramic Coating on all surfaces painted surfaces including wheels, calipers, and windshield - GTechniq CSL + EXOv4 + C2V3

No regrets on any of the selections and I'm happy with them. They have served their purpose thus far. Not sure I would bill any as must haves for anyone, but they work for me. The only miss is a solution for the gauge cluster. I ended up having it ceramic coated to prevent scratches, but may end up putting film on it at some point.

Thanks for the input. I did get after it for the 51 weeks I owned the car! It was nice to at lease see how various things wore out and what I need to do better this time to prevent those items. Going over your recommendations:

1) I considered the OEM mats, but ended up with TuxMats. I must say the coverage on the TuxMats is about perfect.
2) OEM cargo tray. I do have this on my list of things to get this time around. I sell kitchen caninetry and take loose door samples to customer homes a lot. They typically slide around in the trunk.
3)PPF: I did not do the A pillars last time and had a couple of rock chips on them. Added to this list this time.
4) Windshield protection: I had 2 large rock chips in the last car. I had one repaired and the second happened just before the car was totaled.
5) Fender Vent Guards: I honestly did not notice any wear and tear as a result of not having vent guards. I am sure there could be a time where that will not be the case.
6) Navigation screen protector: added to the list
7) Ceramic coat: I did not add it to the wheels last time and they were always dirty. I will be sure to add it this time around.

Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
AWR1997

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really sorry for your loss, but a fresh start in a new color sounds nice. Here are a few links to get you started:
Beyond that, I think you're right on with a good PPF kit, ceramic coat, and TuxMats. I like the red carpets, but I have a 4-year-old with an affinity for sandboxes and puddles. We'd trash the carpeting in no time.
Solid recommendations. I have looked at the Hypersuede seat covers and they dk look nice. It appears that he does not have the FL5 covers for sale at the moment on ebay. Someone else recommended that screen protector to me also so it is added to the list of things to get.

For the floor mats, I am right there with you on the red looking nice. I am putting the TuxMats in again for the winter, but I do have a spare set of red mats that are slightly worn that I may pull out in the summer again.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Solid recommendations. I have looked at the Hypersuede seat covers and they dk look nice. It appears that he does not have the FL5 covers for sale at the moment on ebay.
He doesn't seem to keep his eBay up-to-date with inventory--he's probably got what you're looking for, he was really responsive via text.

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
I am fully against the recommendation of the screen protector for the infotainment center. If you’re a perfectionist, don’t do it. It’ll either be slightly crooked, have bubbles that can’t be removed, have a speck of dust in the screen, etc. I had one and it drove me crazy because of one little air bubble I couldn’t remove and two specks of dust. Anyone saying they can install it perfectly straight, without dust and air bubbles has to be a genie. Not worth it in my opinion- I’ll live with tiny micro scratches that I can’t see on my screen unless I shine a flashlight to it.

I absolutely agree. This past weekend I tried to install screen protech protection film on my touch screen and gauge cluster lense and it was a complete disaster. I had two of each film for "extra insurance". As soon as I peeled the films, they attracted dust particles and there's just no way to avoid it. Also the films for the touchscreen would not line up with everything evenly - it wasn't a perfect fit/cut. Despite liberal use of water mixed with the supplied soap, the films gave very little time to be slid around and adjusted for proper fitment before they started to adhere. It was an infuriating experience that left me with 4 wasted films, a soaked dashboard and $65(after a discount) thrown away. They said I can buy more films at a discounted rate, but I know from experience that it'll never be perfect and just leaves a mess, so fuck that. The only positive is the films came with a nice cloth that is perfect for cleaning screens without scratching them. So I'll be using that going forward.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Has anyone installed the Alcantara steering wheel? Is that worth it?
Many here have the Alcantara steering wheel and love it. Just keep in mind, while it is indeed high quality, it has different cleaning and maintenance requirements than leather. I personally like leather and plan to have my wheel rewrapped in Nappa very soon. I like how the stock wheel feels, but the material quality is not great and scratches / scuffs very easily. It’s annoying.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Regarding film on the touch screen and gauge cluster, I bet a good PPF place would do excellent job. More expensive, but maybe worthwhile for some.

Dustbunni

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R , 2023 Tesla Model Y
DIY Detail Interor Ceramic. Works great on all the interior surfaces including the alcantara and carpets. Just have to reapply to commonly worn areas every so often
Sponsored