• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you?

First Name
Teja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2024 Civic Hybrid Owner
Lol Prius are awful driving experiences...
Anyways, my favorite initial Hybrid was the 2022 Honda Insight Touring from the 3rd gen of said model. But it got discontinued last year in 2022 because of this upcoming Civic Hybrid sedan, so That's therefore my new favorite hybrid sedan.
Sponsored

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Just buy a Prius if you want efficiency
The new Prius is fairly tempting as good as it looks now. Granted its a bit more expensive than a civic, especially in upper trims. But with the new size and shape and powertrain update, it is going to land the Prius right in line with the coming Civic hybrid hatchback. I think it's a forgone conclusion that the prius will be the more efficient of the two... but honda could still pull out a win in performance if they use the 204hp version of their hybrid setup.

C&D timed the new accord hybrid around 6.6 seconds to 60 in the new accord hybrid. The civic being quite a few hundred pounds lighter, could be properly quick with that same power. Doubtful they will... probably will get the 181hp version like in Europe, which isn't really any quicker than the current 1.5T option. The civic will still obviously handle and be more fun to drive than the new prius, but having a leg up in the metric of quickness could be another easy win.

---

Something I was made aware of a few weeks back, Honda filed 2 new trademarks for clothing, toys, accessories, etc. Prelude being one, which I think is safe to assume is the one of the new EV sports cars they teased last year coming sometime around 2025 (along with a new NSX). The other trademark, filed in the same week, took me more by surprise... CRX. It might be a long shot. But with the current CTR and future NSX and Prelude EVs, the only performance gap in the lineup would be a more affordable small sports car (similar category to the BRZ/GR86). A small 2 door liftback with the new hybrid setup would be exactly the type of new offering that would draw me in. Help Honda market their "performance" oriented hybrid strategy, and not only offer a replacement for the civic coupe, but also a 2 door alternative to the integra.

I'm not holding my breath... but long before Acura announced the Integra Type S, we saw the same type of trademark filing for apparel, toys, accessories. We already knew Honda was planning an EV sports coupe (Prelude). The fact they also filed for CRX in the same week gives at least some glimmer of hope that it could materialize in some way or another, probably around the same 2025 timeframe.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
The new Prius is fairly tempting as good as it looks now. Granted its a bit more expensive than a civic, especially in upper trims. But with the new size and shape and powertrain update, it is going to land the Prius right in line with the coming Civic hybrid hatchback. I think it's a forgone conclusion that the prius will be the more efficient of the two... but honda could still pull out a win in performance if they use the 204hp version of their hybrid setup.

C&D timed the new accord hybrid around 6.6 seconds to 60 in the new accord hybrid. The civic being quite a few hundred pounds lighter, could be properly quick with that same power. Doubtful they will... probably will get the 181hp version like in Europe, which isn't really any quicker than the current 1.5T option. The civic will still obviously handle and be more fun to drive than the new prius, but having a leg up in the metric of quickness could be another easy win.

---

Something I was made aware of a few weeks back, Honda filed 2 new trademarks for clothing, toys, accessories, etc. Prelude being one, which I think is safe to assume is the one of the new EV sports cars they teased last year coming sometime around 2025 (along with a new NSX). The other trademark, filed in the same week, took me more by surprise... CRX. It might be a long shot. But with the current CTR and future NSX and Prelude EVs, the only performance gap in the lineup would be a more affordable small sports car (similar category to the BRZ/GR86). A small 2 door liftback with the new hybrid setup would be exactly the type of new offering that would draw me in. Help Honda market their "performance" oriented hybrid strategy, and not only offer a replacement for the civic coupe, but also a 2 door alternative to the integra.

I'm not holding my breath... but long before Acura announced the Integra Type S, we saw the same type of trademark filing for apparel, toys, accessories. We already knew Honda was planning an EV sports coupe (Prelude). The fact they also filed for CRX in the same week gives at least some glimmer of hope that it could materialize in some way or another, probably around the same 2025 timeframe.
Wonder if the new prelude is a 4 door...

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Toyota interiors are difficult places to be. Design, material selection and markings that tend to be larger than normal for the geriatrics (I know, that will be me soon so shouldn’t joke ☹)

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wonder if the new prelude is a 4 door...
Considering that Honda showed the silhouettes of what can be assumed to be the prelude and next gen NSX, no, it's definitely a coupe. If it were a 4-door it would have such a cramped rear seat it'd be useless anyway. Honda has stated that 2025 is their goal to bring their own in-house EV platform to market for use in these sports cars they teased. Then circle back in 2030 to bring to market a slew of smaller more affordable EVs using a co-developed ultium platform from GM (possibly 13th generation civic, accord, as well as crv, hrv type models).

My best guess is that the Prelude would compete in the Supra/Z territory in terms of price and performance. $50-60k would be my assumption. If we're using Toyota/Lexus as any kind of competition signifier for future products, that would put the Prelude against the Supra. NSX against future EV Lexus sports car (or possibly a toyota offering which I've seen rumors about too). We already have the CTR to go against the GRC. The only slot not filled is the $30k-ish spot the GR86 lives in, which if it actually were to happen, could be the slot a future CRX could slot into albeit as a hybrid FWD sports coupe.

11th Gen Honda Civic I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you? honda-ev-sports-cars-1649776879 (1)

Last edited:

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
Given the K20 under the hood, there's potential to make it into something that can handle we
weekends at the race track. Just need to make the engine high revving and let the battery assist handle low rpms stuff AND put in a 6MT transmission. As is, young enthusiast community is quickly disappearing and Honda needs something that'll attract the grassroot youngsters.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
if it's manual transmission, i'll be interested. they pulled it off with the CRZ... i am hoping they can do a really better job on one now.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably worth noting that a manual with Honda's new hybrid setup isn't really possible. The engine only drives the wheels in certain instances (highway cruising and under harder acceleration). So much like an EV there isn't really any need to shift gears in the ICE engine because it mostly is there for recharging the battery and at time providing support to the electric motors. Honda added in fake shift points for the engine to help eliminate droning.

Not to say Honda couldn't come up with something different to make a manual possible/viable. But this new setup is far and away from the IMA hybrid setup that the CRZ and first gen hybrids used which were ICE first assisted by electric. If they were to create an AWD variant that had the ICE engine spinning one set of wheels with electric powering the others, but even that isn't the case for the CRV hybrid AWD.

While I'm not a manual buyer, it is sad to say that any future hybrid or EV products that come down the pipeline like a new CRX or Prelude will probably be automatic eCVT/single speed transmissions with paddle shifters to control the level of regen braking.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
[...]
People want impressive fuel economy without sacrificing performance or that is what is what seems to me.
[...]
We are doing well with the Hybrid CRV. Despite production supposed nearing 50%.. a majority of buyers seem to be leaning toward hybrid despite the so so fuel economy gain in areas like mine. I am sure sure an even higher percentage of hybrids are sold in urban areas were their efficiency is better realized.
[...]
I also get that majority of hybrid buyers are more concerned about efficiency first, but Honda also wants their hybrids to be their volume sellers going forward until the full EV switch is made down the line. That means their hybrids need to appeal to more than just efficiency minded buyers, and honda performance enthusiasts are one example of those other demographics they need to appeal to, especially since hybrids historically have had a poor reputation as being boring, slow, appliances. I say that from my background in marketing and advertising, they need to cater to more than just efficiency minded people, and still try and pull enthusiasts that want a little more in their daily drivers.

If anything, Honda has been a pioneer of the idea of a performance hybrid, testing the waters with the somewhat flawed CR-Z and later with the Acura NSX. Hybrid technology has come a long way since cars like the CR-Z, and even the new Toyota prius is attempting to tackle a more stylish and performance oriented mindset with its new iteration.

I'm not saying they need to try and make all their cars into hyper performance hybrids. But especially in the shrinking segment of sporty compact sedans/hatches, we're seeing those performance minded buyers condensing into the remaining good options. Offering the civic hybrid with solid performance, along with the efficiency gained with electrification, only stands elevate the brands image and secure even more sales for their hybrids going forward.
I think Honda has an opportunity...
they were WAY ahead of their time with the CR-Z... which is why it failed...Electric motors were not on the radar of most people. And, it has a true manual transmission. Yes, it's under-powered, but with everything Honda's done, they could probably adjust the power up a lot from where it was.

My personal resistance to making the jump to an EV is that i do NOT want to just SIT while i drive. I don't want to give up my stick and everything that makes driving an engaging experience. It keeps me alert as i drive, i like that interface with the engine and road, and it offers much more flexibility for safety when having a clutch and extra control over the engine. Therefore, i have ZERO interest in a car that 'simulates' the clutch-shift experience. 🤮

I just saw a CRZ about 2 weeks ago and spoke with the owner. I asked him what he thought of the car, and the answer was the same as i had read about the appeal of it... He said that other than it being a bit slow, he said it's a really fun car to drive. He loves it so much that he bought a 2nd one to pull parts in order to keep it maintained well. 😁

If it could switch between a good fuel-saving mode and a Performance mode, i would be VERY interested in it for my next vehicle when petrol performance cars were no longer an option. I would especially be on-board if it were to be stretched to a 4-door (or at least a full-4-seater) and kept that sport-back type roof that doesn't slope and allows for more cargo.

dreaming... dreaming...

Last edited:

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
This was one of my favorite cars of all time... i keep seeing the potential for a modern version of it based on the CRZ. It was multiple cars in one... a convertible with t-tops, a notch-bak, a sportbak, and you could remove ALL roof and back hatch to get a mini-truck. LOVED this car... and in manual, it had plenty of power for a city car. sigh.

we had one in red and one in champagne color...

11th Gen Honda Civic I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you? pulsar with wagon and hatch displayed

11th Gen Honda Civic I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you? red pulsar-hatch-u

11th Gen Honda Civic I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you? pulsar-with-both-Ts-wagon-off

11th Gen Honda Civic I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you? gold pulsar-hatchback

11th Gen Honda Civic I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you? gold pulsar-pic

11th Gen Honda Civic I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you? pulsar-wagon-with Ts-off

11th Gen Honda Civic I'm looking forward to the 2024 Civic Hybrid. How about you? red-pulsar-pic