• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Issue with rev match turned off on FL5

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
I always have rev match turned on and tonight I figured I would turn it off and mess around with rev matching on downshifts on my own.

As soon as I take off after turning rev match off and start shifting into second and then third etc, it starts rev matching on the upshifts. It’s not a good feeling. It’s like the revs are dropping extremely fast and when you let out the clutch it revs up and gives a nice jolt/lurch. I thought well maybe I’m shifting too slow. So I speed up the footwork and it still does same thing. But then I got to thinking with rev match off it shouldn’t rev by itself at all wether it’s on upshifts or downshifts so I’m just confused on the whole matter. In the 8 months I’ve owned this car I’ve only turned off rev match once for a few minutes and I didn’t have this experience. Anyone know what is causing this auto rev matching on upshifts throughout all the gears?

Thanks
Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I periodically get a P0139 because of the RV6 DP. This disables Rev matching and I have noticed that up shifts are difficult because the RPMs drop so fast. Making me have to match up shifts and down shifts. I didn't see this issue on the 1.5T

OP
OP
Fl5#727

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
I’m sorry I’m not sure what a p0139 is.

But that’s what I’m noticing as well is the rpm’s drop like a rock compared to when rev match is on. Which I would have thought would have been a blessing but man this is interesting. The pedal feel and how it controls the engine without rev match on is very different feeling, Atleast to me.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
My car "rev matches" the upshifts too. It drives me nuts. Only does it when i'm 3/4 throttle or more. I can keep it from doing it if I let out of the gas really slowly. My FK8 didn't do this. Does it with the rev match system on or off.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
My car "rev matches" the upshifts too. It drives me nuts. Only does it when i'm 3/4 throttle or more. I can keep it from doing it if I let out of the gas really slowly. My FK8 didn't do this. Does it with the rev match system on or off.
Remember this car has a rev hang from the factory that you won’t be able to remove unless you reflash it. Also a clutch delay valve delete with rev hang turned off will give you the actual behavior of the engine with the flywheel weight.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
It does rev match the upshifts which is kinda nice on slow shifts. When it's turned off it should stop this. I found it harder to drive since the revs drop so quickly between shifts.

It would be cool if we could turn off the rev match on downshifts only but keep it on the upshifts for the driveability improvement. Seems like it's an all or nothing setting though.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Integra, '02 Corolla
Luckily you don't have to rip up your man-card for using rev match, and we'll even let you keep your three pedals window decal. Seriously though, why would you want to turn off the greatest feature on your car? After decades of jerky downshifts and getting caught up in mis-matched pedals, I'm done.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Luckily you don't have to rip up your man-card for using rev match, and we'll even let you keep your three pedals window decal. Seriously though, why would you want to turn off the greatest feature on your car? After decades of jerky downshifts and getting caught up in mis-matched pedals, I'm done.
Its personal preference, I enjoy the art of rev matching. Its good that you can turn it on or off. My M2 it was only disabled when you had all the nannies off which was annoying.

OP
OP
Fl5#727

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
I periodically get a P0139 because of the RV6 DP. This disables Rev matching and I have noticed that up shifts are difficult because the RPMs drop so fast. Making me have to match up shifts and down shifts. I didn't see this issue on the 1.5T
Trust me, I’d much rather leave it in auto rev match (which I will) but I’ve got a FD rx-7 on the way and I’m practicing 😂

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White, 2006 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
Wait, what? lol no. People used to complain about rev hangs and now that revs drop as they should, people are complaining?

The revs dropping on an up shift is exactly the way the car should behave, mechanically. You either have to upshift really quickly, or blip the throttle while upshifting to remove the “jolt” of the revs going back up too fast.

The whole point of the rev matching system is that it blips the throttle for you, and this is true for both downshifts and up shifts even if you can’t sense them on up shifts.

The problem is not the car, the problem is in between seat and steering wheel 😂

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Wait, what? lol no. People used to complain about rev hangs and now that revs drop as they should, people are complaining?

The revs dropping on an up shift is exactly the way the car should behave, mechanically. You either have to upshift really quickly, or blip the throttle while upshifting to remove the “jolt” of the revs going back up too fast.

The whole point of the rev matching system is that it blips the throttle for you, and this is true for both downshifts and up shifts even if you can’t sense them on up shifts.

The problem is not the car, the problem is in between seat and steering wheel 😂
Previous 1.5t I only needed to rev match down shifts. The up shift rev matching is strange to me. Even precious Mazdas and Toyotas this wasn't needed.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White, 2006 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
Previous 1.5t I only needed to rev match down shifts. The up shift rev matching is strange to me. Even precious Mazdas and Toyotas this wasn't needed.
High performance engine. It’s supposed to drop instantly. To faster it drops the better it is.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, you shouldn’t need to rev match upshifts. The only reason one would need to do this is if:

1. They granny shift (shift too slow).
2. They are shifting too early and not revving enough to necessitate a shift to begin with.
3. They missed a shift and need to (re)rev.

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
there is no "upshift rev matching" with the system turned off. are you referring to rev hang? it's not bad at all with auto rev match turned off.

i honestly don't know what you're talking about. you must have auto rev match turned on.

Brickstrom

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R FL5, Honda S2000
I was under the impression you could set rev-match to On / Off within the different setting (especially in the custom mode). But playing around with the settings it seems its either on or off globally if set?
Sponsored