• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Need Advice - Yofer Rear Spoiler Install

SlntHntr27

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Sport
Hey All,

I am looking for some help here and hope some may have experience. I am looking to install this Yofer Spoiler on my 2023 Civic Sport.

https://swaautosports.com/collectio...ack-duckbill-trunk-spoiler-v2-by-yofer-desgin

It can be bolt mounted or you can use the doubled sided adhesive tape that it comes with. I have already decided not to bolt mount for a few reasons. With that aside I was hoping someone could help with the adhesive side of the things.

Do I use the provided adhesive or do I use a 3M aftermarket tape? Here are pictures of the base of the mount and the provided adhesive pads. Or should I use something like the 3M tape linked below which I have and already used on my front lip and window visors.

Amazon.com: Double Sided Tape Heavy Duty, Waterproof Mounting Foam Tape, 16.4ft Length, 0.94in Width, Strong Adhesive Tape for Car, Wall, LED Strip Light, Home/Office Decor, Made of 3M VHB Tape : Office Products

11th Gen Honda Civic Need Advice - Yofer Rear Spoiler Install 1703090801472
11th Gen Honda Civic Need Advice - Yofer Rear Spoiler Install 1703090836062

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advanced and Happy Holidays!
Sponsored

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
I would go with the 3M that you provided the Amazon link for. I deal with adhesives every day. Our applications are sticking bare metal to bare metal (so no painted surfaces). The Amazon link does not give a 3M part number that I could find but that item is part of their VHB line (very high bond) and should be good for this application. It is amazing how strong of a bond you can get from 3M VHB. The adhesive supplied with the wing is too much of a wildcard.

Surface prep is just as important as adhesive selection. I would use a clay bar and then isopropyl alcohol wipes. If you just have the alcohol wipes I would do multiple wipes - like 5 or 6. Sometimes just a wipe or 2 will not remove a thick layer of wax and contaminates.

Last edited:

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
3M also makes a primer that you can buy on Amazon that can significantly increase bond. Search for "3M Primer 94." Should be able to get it in an application pen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SlntHntr27

SlntHntr27

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Sport
I would go with the 3M that you provided the Amazon link for. I deal with adhesives every day. Our applications are sticking bare metal to bare metal (so no painted surfaces). The Amazon link does not give a 3M part number that I could find but that item is part of their VHB line (very high bond) and should be good for this application. It is amazing how strong of a bond you can get from 3M VHB. The adhesive supplied with the wing is too much of a wildcard.

Surface prep is just as important as adhesive selection. I would use a clay bar and then isopropyl alcohol wipes. If you just have the alcohol wipes I would do multiple wipes - like 5 or 6. Sometimes a just a wipe or 2 will not remove a thick layer of wax and contaminates.
Thank you for the detailed explanation it was exactly what I was looking for. I felt the same way about the supplied adhesive and seeing as I already have the good 3M tape I might as well use it. I didn't think to use a clay bar but I definitely will and then isopropyl alcohol. I feel much more confident that this will not go any where once applied and cured. Now to make sure everything is centered 🤣

OP
OP
SlntHntr27

SlntHntr27

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Sport
3M also makes a primer that you can buy on Amazon that can significantly increase bond. Search for "3M Primer 94." Should be able to get it in an application pen.
Thank you! I have never heard of this and I will for sure use this in conjunction with the 3M tape. Happy Holidays!
Sponsored