• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is it time to say hello to Type R and bye to S2000? Need Help!

watchmegrub

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 FL5
I was also in a similar position. I owned my S2000 for about 3 years but realized it was sitting more than being driven. I think the main reason was that it was just starting to be a hassle to use as I got older. It was kind of a pain getting in and out, and it was hard to enjoy without the practicality of my other hatchback at the time. But everytime you drive it, it's special and pulls you back in. Eventually I finally decided to sell it and planned to get an FK8 one day once life settles a bit because of the performance, practicality and just legendary legacy of the Type R. But life priorities happen... got married, bought a house. Once the FL5 was announced, I knew that was the one. Now years later, finally picked up my FL5 last month and I have no regrets. This car is amazing. I know it'll be enjoyed thoroughly and I'll be able to use it with future kids. Until that happens, I'm hoping to experience my first ever track day this year!
Sponsored

Reactions: MrB

atucker80

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Civic Type R, 2022 Mustang GT CS
I sold my S2000 years ago and only rarely have any regrets. It was a great car for its era, and certainly still one of the best looking cars ever, but I'll take modern vehicles any day.

Is the Type R a direct replacement? Not a chance, but it's an awesome option for someone looking for a fun, reasonably quick, good looking and practical daily.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I was also in a similar position. I owned my S2000 for about 3 years but realized it was sitting more than being driven. I think the main reason was that it was just starting to be a hassle to use as I got older. It was kind of a pain getting in and out, and it was hard to enjoy without the practicality of my other hatchback at the time. But everytime you drive it, it's special and pulls you back in. Eventually I finally decided to sell it and planned to get an FK8 one day once life settles a bit because of the performance, practicality and just legendary legacy of the Type R. But life priorities happen... got married, bought a house. Once the FL5 was announced, I knew that was the one. Now years later, finally picked up my FL5 last month and I have no regrets. This car is amazing. I know it'll be enjoyed thoroughly and I'll be able to use it with future kids. Until that happens, I'm hoping to experience my first ever track day this year!
yup, getting in and out of the car is not easy. I have bucket seats so that requires me doing a dip to get out even with the steering wheel off.
Thinking about putting in recliners again.

I should add that I might be in a different position since I bought mine new back in 07 and part of me wants to keep it as long as I can. I have thought about selling it in the past and my wife tells me thereā€™s no need to. She is also biased because she says Iā€™ll miss it and want to replace it with something new. She doesnā€™t want me to spend the money. šŸ˜‚ so keeping it is still cheaper than buying something new.

Last edited:

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
-Or because I am a new father and I have even less time for the car. Also due to my kid only being 1 years old I canā€™t put her in the passenger seat
Congrats on the kid! If California is like Ohio (I didn't look overly hard, so feel free to research), it's legal for kiddos to ride in the "front" of a 2-seater. Once you find that it's legal, clear it with mom.

As a sunny weekend convertible, the S2000 has an edge over the FL5, and you guys may get more attention at car shows in the S2000.

My kid (5) loves riding side-by-side with me in our Del Sol. It isn't mom's favorite, but what can you do?

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
If you got the s2000 for a good price I would keep it. I had three s2000 and I daily drive my ctr but in comparison at limits the s2000 challenges you more because of rwd and short wheelbase. I think s2000 prices wonā€™t come down and if you have ap1 I would keep it till you need the money for some type of emergency.

AZCWTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Hi Everyone,

I am at a crossroads and could use some help. I am currently on my third S2000 and have owned this platform for over 10+ years. I absolutely loved everything about the car. But I am at a point where I am not finding myself getting excited to drive the car anymore. Let alone putting 1000 miles on the car a year anymore.

-I am not sure if its because I have modded it to make it ā€œperfectā€ and I am done.
-Or because I am a new father and I have even less time for the car. Also due to my kid only being 1 years old I canā€™t put her in the passenger seat
-Or maybe im just getting older and held onto the platform for too long and have gotten bored.

The part that makes me hesitant is if I sell my S2000 and I want to get back into the platform in the future. I know it will be pretty hard/near impossible to get another one in this clean of condition again.

So my question to everyone here is that, did anyone go from a S2000 to a Type R? If so do you regret it? Would you advocate for it? Has anyone been in my situation before? Should I hold onto this car or cut bait and try something new? I am interested in hearing your responses.

Oh yeah what draws me to the FL5

Pros
-Love the looks
-Love the modern tech
-Love the seats
-Able to hold my kid and can take her to car events with me

Cons
-FWD nervous of wheel hop or potentially overdriving the car with added power
-Limited amount of options to mod the car (could get bored early)
-Sound
Both are special cars. I owned an AP2 S2000 until 5 years ago, only selling because it not being used enough due too many motorcycles.
FL5 feels much bigger (it is) and heavier. Traction is an issue in 1st gear max throttle, otherwise it does surprisingly well. I can drive the FL5 all day comfortably, hear the radio, and get 31-33mpg.
I was a few inches too tall for top down comfort in the S2000. Impossible to hear much of the radio. The S2000 vibrations give the car a more alive feel. FL5 is more isolated, but with good road feel.
Both cars handle way beyond what's prudent on public roads. I'm only comparing between these 2, since other cars are not on the same plane.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
To everyone who is bashing the Tesla. It's just a DD not the fun car. I live in California gas is $5/gal it makes sense here.
hopefully you donā€™t live in PGE territory. We have $0.36/kw off peak. More expensive than many gas cars šŸ˜­

as someone who owns multiple EVs including a Tesla, I agree with the consensus. Ditch the Tesla. A fun DD is even better than a boring DD

chefNoka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 type r
I have MYP, FL5 and S2000.

MYP is a great DD. If you have to choose between type r or s2000 for a fun/toy/weekend car, s2000 is the better choice. Type R is a better all around car, but S2000 is definitely more raw and more engaging.

BUT when your kids get to the age where he/she can communicate with you, being a car guy you will have the urge to bring your kid to drives with you. Then you will want to switch to Type R. Been there lol

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
If money is any distant issue then I would skip the fl5 and even think about selling the S2000. Be frugal and hang on to the Tesla if you want. California ain't cheap anyway.

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R, 2002 S2000
Currently own an FL5 and S2000. The S2000 is a forever car for me and someone one day will have to pry it from my cold dead hands! Itā€™s an amazing car that provides such a unique sound and driving experience with the right mods. Iā€™ve owned and driven much faster cars, to include the FL5, but none of them give the feel the s2000 does. The S2000 is, to me, the best car Honda has ever produced.

We all are in different positions in life though. As much as this pains me to say, if I had children and could only keep one car, it would have to be the FL5. The S2000 just isnā€™t practical for daily commute.

Shbox

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, 1M coupe, Tesla Model3, AP1, F87 M2C, CL9
i sold my AP1 4 months ago and I miss it. FL5 is very all rounded , but wonā€™t get that thrill you get from a RWD . Keep both if you can !

Higgs Boson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R
Honda will keep cranking out CTR's until everyone has one, but they'll never sell another S2000.
Thats because they already cranked out S2000's until everyone had one. 66k S2000 in the US over 8-9 years is over 7k per year. They made less Civic Type R's than that per year.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Tesla and s2k is a way better 2 car lineup then CTR and Tesla. Keep the s2k, the CTR will be available for years to come. Unless you're willing to go CTR+ s2k, but doesn't sound like it.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Tesla and s2k is a way better 2 car lineup then CTR and Tesla. Keep the s2k, the CTR will be available for years to come. Unless you're willing to go CTR+ s2k, but doesn't sound like it.
CTR and S2K say no to TeslašŸ˜‚
Sponsored