• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OTS vs protune

Sinner

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5
It seems like the huge majority are running ots tunes (phearable, TSP etc.) Jeff Evans is local to me and I’ve used him in the past. I was just curious what experiences have been for this platform with OTS vs an actual tune and if it’s just a cost issue that’s making folks go the ots route
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
It seems like the huge majority are running ots tunes (phearable, TSP etc.) Jeff Evans is local to me and I’ve used him in the past. I was just curious what experiences have been for this platform with OTS vs an actual tune and if it’s just a cost issue that’s making folks go the ots route
All good options, I personally like the Custom tune option and that is what I offer since no 2 cars are the same.

OTS tunes make power but once you get mods it might need some adjustments. I am close to releasing a OTS map for track duty for those customers that don’t want a full custom tune at a lower price.

I also offer free revisions for minor mods with my custom tunes.

People here can vouch for me too and tell you about their experience.

Last edited:

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
There are some good thoughts here already. I will agree that a fully custom tune from an experienced and trusted tuner will always be "better" than an "off the shelf" tune. In many cases the extra cost of a custom tune is hard to justify, it begins to make more sense as the number of vehicle modifications increase.

One thing that is important to note is that a custom tune is not better just because it is custom. If the custom tune is completed by someone that is not well versed in the the platform in question, it could very possibly end up being inferior to an off the shelf tune from a more experienced tuner. There are several experienced reputable "pro tuners" in our community, be careful who you trust with your car.

thatonedaveguy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' CW Civic Type R #18788
If your car is completely stock, an OTS tune is going to give you near as makes no difference the best performance/gains you can get while still being reliable. Once you start doing other modifications, a pro tune(as said above, by someone that knows the platform) will give you superior results.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Minor Bolt-ons (intake, dp, fp, cat-back etc..) = OTS
FBO (upgraded turbo, upgraded fuel system etc..) = Custom Tune.
You would be surprised that with the intake the fuel pressure from the pump becomes critical.

Everything else is fine from what I have seen is fine.

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I disagree, based on this from IMW. Custom tune on an entirely stock car was quite the change from the OTS Hondata tune.
I think he was referring to a OTS map from one of the vendors not the Hondata one.

This was mine comparing stock vs Hondata vs my custom tune. Only mod was a intercooler rest of the car was stock.

11th Gen Honda Civic OTS vs protune IMG_3525

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I disagree, based on this from IMW. Custom tune on an entirely stock car was quite the change from the OTS Hondata tune.
IMG_9249.png
Remember that all OTS tunes are not created equally. :) The Hondata base maps are extremely conservative and... lacking. However our TSP Stage 1 tune has been tested on various FL5s and then custom tuned by Derek afterwards (same day, same dyno) and the difference is typically in the single digits.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Remember that all OTS tunes are not created equally. :) The Hondata base maps are extremely conservative and... lacking. However our TSP Stage 1 tune has been tested on various FL5s and then custom tuned by Derek afterwards (same day, same dyno) and the difference is typically in the single digits.
Agree the Hondata maps leave a lot on the table.
Sponsored