• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R)

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Some unfortunate news, but I'd like to see if anyone else had any issues with front bumper paint.

Long story short, am doing full front PPF, window tint, and Ceramic Coat on my Type R at a local reputable detailer and they were going to be done with it ready for pick up today. Unfortunately, yesterday when they went to apply PPF to the front bumper, as they were attempting to apply the front bumper PPF, they said it wasn't sticking properly as it normally would (which they claim has never happened to them). After a couple attempts (applying the PPF, moving it around and lifting it) the paint in some spots literally started separating from the bumper and created rough edges (mainly along edges) in many areas and even left one area poorly damaged. These events are how the detailer described it to me and what I saw after getting to the detailer.

My belief currently is that this is a paint failure from Honda and not the detailer's fault. Here are some supporting reasons

-This detailer has done thousands of cars, they reported never having any issues like this.
-They said about 7/10 cars they do are brand new cars, which would support the clause that they can do PPF almost immediately after vehicle delivery.
-They applied PPF to both fenders and the hood, along with part of the side sill along the bottom by the door. They also applied PPF to the boomerang (the portion above the bumper that meets with the hood) and did a PPF luggage strip at the top of the rear bumper by the hatch.

The fact that they did successfully apply PPF to the boomerang and the rear bumper, which is plastic just like the front bumper, leads me to believe that the bumper paint was failing. My only concern is that I'm not sure how the dealer is going to look at this given that the damage wasn't present UNTIL they attempted the work.

As of right now the detailer has promised to get the bumper fully repainted at a local body shop near me at their cost (the owner of that body shop showed up to provide input as it was kind of a big deal when it happened). However, I insisted I'd like to take it to the dealer first to see if they will fix it/replace the bumper as I have indicated that to me this seems like a manufacturing failure. I take the car on Monday, was going to go today but the very poor weather conditions in the Midwest are preventing me from doing that.

Hopefully I can get the entire PPF/Ceramic coat completed by next friday, was going to be done today but this happened. Honestly, I'm not that up in arms about it because I know I'm going to be taken care of, but it's just super unfortunate. It'd hurt more if I could drive it right now but I can't so it's w/e lol.

Anyway, I'd like to know other's thoughts on the situation and if anyone else has ever had this happen with just any car. I'll post some pictures of the defects below. Just to be clear, this wasn't a cheap job. Between the PPF, window tint, and full ceramic coat, I'm paying about 2800. Not cheap, good deal on the whole package IMO honestly, but this isn't some dude on the side. They've done work on very high-end cars, so I trust them.

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) 20221222_163210

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) 20221222_163205

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) 20221222_163147

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) 20221222_163028

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) 20221222_161426

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) 20221222_161422
Sponsored

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Some unfortunate news, but I'd like to see if anyone else had any issues with front bumper paint.

Long story short, am doing full front PPF, window tint, and Ceramic Coat on my Type R at a local reputable detailer and they were going to be done with it ready for pick up today. Unfortunately, yesterday when they went to apply PPF to the front bumper, as they were attempting to apply the front bumper PPF, they said it wasn't sticking properly as it normally would (which they claim has never happened to them). After a couple attempts (applying the PPF, moving it around and lifting it) the paint in some spots literally started separating from the bumper and created rough edges (mainly along edges) in many areas and even left one area poorly damaged. These events are how the detailer described it to me and what I saw after getting to the detailer.

My belief currently is that this is a paint failure from Honda and not the detailer's fault. Here are some supporting reasons

-This detailer has done thousands of cars, they reported never having any issues like this.
-They said about 7/10 cars they do are brand new cars, which would support the clause that they can do PPF almost immediately after vehicle delivery.
-They applied PPF to both fenders and the hood, along with part of the side sill along the bottom by the door. They also applied PPF to the boomerang (the portion above the bumper that meets with the hood) and did a PPF luggage strip at the top of the rear bumper by the hatch.

The fact that they did successfully apply PPF to the boomerang and the rear bumper, which is plastic just like the front bumper, leads me to believe that the bumper paint was failing. My only concern is that I'm not sure how the dealer is going to look at this given that the damage wasn't present UNTIL they attempted the work.

As of right now the detailer has promised to get the bumper fully repainted at a local body shop near me at their cost (the owner of that body shop showed up to provide input as it was kind of a big deal when it happened). However, I insisted I'd like to take it to the dealer first to see if they will fix it/replace the bumper as I have indicated that to me this seems like a manufacturing failure. I take the car on Monday, was going to go today but the very poor weather conditions in the Midwest are preventing me from doing that.

Hopefully I can get the entire PPF/Ceramic coat completed by next friday, was going to be done today but this happened. Honestly, I'm not that up in arms about it because I know I'm going to be taken care of, but it's just super unfortunate. It'd hurt more if I could drive it right now but I can't so it's w/e lol.

Anyway, I'd like to know other's thoughts on the situation and if anyone else has ever had this happen with just any car. I'll post some pictures of the defects below. Just to be clear, this wasn't a cheap job. Between the PPF, window tint, and full ceramic coat, I'm paying about 2800. Not cheap, good deal on the whole package IMO honestly, but this isn't some dude on the side. They've done work on very high-end cars, so I trust them.

20221222_163210.jpg

20221222_163205.jpg

20221222_163147.jpg

20221222_163028.jpg

20221222_161426.jpg

20221222_161422.jpg
Check the door sticker and see what the date of manufacture is. Most shops that I've had experience with will not do a PPF, ceramic, detail, etc. until the paint is six months old, but each dealer used different techniques so it may be mote.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the door sticker and see what the date of manufacture is. Most shops that I've had experience with will not do a PPF, ceramic, detail, etc. until the paint is six months old, but each dealer used different techniques so it may be mote.
IIRC, It was 8/20/22.

Hadn't heard of shops waiting 6 months (not saying there aren't some that wont). Many people on here seem to have done their PPFs already, so I can't believe that'd play a factor, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You sure it wasn’t repainted from shipping damage?
I looked at the bumper pretty thoroughly when I bought it and right before I took it to them to ensure no chips or serious defects I thought might mess them up. Looked mostly normal to me besides your average swirls. But very possible theory.

I'm suspicious if they did repaint it, they didn't properly clear coat it. But I couldn't tell.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Paint would have sealed considering there cars are least 3 months old. I’d take it to the body shop and ask.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paint would have sealed considering there cars are least 3 months old. I’d take it to the body shop and ask.
Well a local body shop owner here in columbus met with me at the detailer and gave her input and said it shouldn't have done that.

Monday I'm taking it to a Honda dealer near me and seeing if I can file it under a warranty claim. If they were to reject for some reason which I don't think they will, my detailer has already agreed to repaint the bumper for me.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
IIRC, It was 8/20/22.

Hadn't heard of shops waiting 6 months (not saying there aren't some that wont). Many people on here seem to have done their PPFs already, so I can't believe that'd play a factor, but who knows 🤷‍♂️
That’s a stumper and I know frustrating.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a stumper and I know frustrating.
Yeah, it'd be a lot worse if I was in contention with I may end up paying for it, but knowing one way or another it's taken care of puts my mind at ease.
I’m thinking it was repainted. Well good luck.
I think you may be right. Gonna follow up with my dealer I purchased at and see if they noticed anything at PDI. Thanks for inspiring that idea.

B34R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5
Sorry to hear that, man. I'm picking up mine from the detailer in about 2 hours. I got full front end in suntek ultra. It's been with them since Monday and throughout the week, they have said everything was going smoothly but we'll see and I'll ask if they ran into any roadblocks or oddities.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear that, man. I'm picking up mine from the detailer in about 2 hours. I got full front end in suntek ultra. It's been with them since Monday and throughout the week, they have said everything was going smoothly but we'll see and I'll ask if they ran into any roadblocks or oddities.
That's awesome dude post pics!

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
If the detailer was applying and removing the PPF several times it might have been enough to damage the paint underneath and pull it off the bumper, the adhesive they use has lots of pulling force. Any car can lose paint when you try to remove PPF at a later date.

My Subaru dealer tells me they are repainting more cars than ever on delivery, they are seeing many more cars being damaged in shipping as they come off the transport trucks. There must be reasons for more damage being caused to vehicles these days, as it has gotten worse. The dealers have to get the damaged areas painted before delivering the vehicles to the purchasers. I don't even know if they tell the buyers about the damage and may do the repairs without anyone knowing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the detailer was applying and removing the PPF several times it might have been enough to damage the paint underneath and pull it off the bumper, the adhesive they use has lots of pulling force. Any car can lose paint when you try to remove PPF at a later date.

My Subaru dealer tells me they are repainting more cars than ever on delivery, they are seeing many more cars being damaged in shipping as they come off the transport trucks. There are various reasons for more damage being caused to vehicles these days, the dealers have to get the damaged painted before delivering to the purchasers, I don't even know if they tell the buyers about the damage and may do the repairs without anyone knowing.
I think they would, I don't typically believe dealers report information that they don't have to.
Good feedback though thank you!

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
unless there's a law that says they have to report it, they're not going to. you may want to research your state's laws on reporting repairs to the buyer.

next time you plan to get PPF done, tell the dealer to not wash or remove the stickers on the car. that should tell you if something was repainted.
Sponsored