• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R)

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
This may or may not be relevant, but when my FK8 got PPF installed, the installer splashed a few drops of what I believe was 3M industrial adhesive remover--essentially a solvent--on the black grille. Then the film was applied over the solvent which trapped it. The outer black layer of the trim melted off and the grille had to be replaced. I'm wondering if maybe some similar chemical was wiped on the bumper to clean it and that melted or weakened the paint.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Have you ever tried ppf before? The ppf either dried too much or they sprayed stick instead of slip solution and kept ripping the ppf up and down. Tbh just bc they do alot of cars doesn't mean shlt. They probably put the newbie on your car and tried fixing his mistakes. Dealership doesn't owe you anything either, they gave you a perfect car, u went ahead and modified it.

But if it was up to me I would request a discount that would cover a repaint in the future and just leave it alone. And when you ever decide to rip off the ppf, which is very low probability, you can repaint it then. But it's your car, gl with whatever happens.
Lot of assumptions here. I personally talked to the guy who I knew was doing it and dudes been doing it for 20+ years. Possible he messes up? Yeah for sure lol no one saying shop didn't mess up. The fact they did a lot cars is just a measurement of their level of reliability. Nothing guarantees success silly. The more cars they've done with success, their ability to succeed. If you've never had a service performed before, is experience not one of the best indicators for a good selection? lol

No one ever said dealership "owes me anything" either. But I think it's fair to say it's interesting that the paint seemingly only failed in a select few spots.

I appreciate your feedback brother but taking jabs at the detailer when you have 0 clue of how they went about their work isn't very helpful. I'll definitely bring it up to mention a possible future discount though

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do agree with this.
they gave you the car without damage and you decided to get PPF and then it got messed up. I canā€™t see that being any fault of the dealers or even Honda.
I donā€™t get why people are so desperate for PPFā€¦. I mean itā€™s a Honda civic, sure itā€™s a type R but unless you plan to get this to an off-road rally just leave it alone and drive.
There are things you should be able to do to any car without it getting "messed up". Would it be any different if you decided to go swap an exhaust and during removal of the OEM exhaust you find out every bolt was cross threaded or over torqued and when you go to take some off they snap. Is it your fault because they can't tighten bolts correctly? There should be allowance to modify your car without causing damage.

Again, im not saying it's 100% a paint defect, it very well could have been the detailer's fault. But I think the evidence and facts pretty well support the detailer here. I don't think there should have been a failure in the paint given that they were successfully able to apply PPF to the boomerang and rear bumper (same material).

I dont think it's a desperation either my guy. PPF across the front isn't a bad idea. Is it a lot of money? Yeah. Do I got it? Yeah. My wife and I just bought a CRV last March and it literally has 5 rock chips that she HATES across the front. Yes it's just cosmetic and maybe to you oh well, but drives her nuts. I paid good money for this car and I'd like to protect the integrity of the paint here the best I can (which is ironic that it got damaged šŸ˜‚)

Honda civic, type R, CRV, Ford fusion, doesn't matter the car. Some people care a lot about their car. For some people it's their life. I'm sure you have something in your life that someone just looks at and goes "why does he even care lol". I think no matter what you do with it, as long as it fuels your satisfaction and you're responsible doing it, go for it.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This may or may not be relevant, but when my FK8 got PPF installed, the installer splashed a few drops of what I believe was 3M industrial adhesive remover--essentially a solvent--on the black grille. Then the film was applied over the solvent which trapped it. The outer black layer of the trim melted off and the grille had to be replaced. I'm wondering if maybe some similar chemical was wiped on the bumper to clean it and that melted or weakened the paint.
Very possible, im not sure. They have a list of chemicals they use thats standard for them that we discussed and they seemed adamant about how there was no way anything they used could have caused anything like that to happen.

Even the owner of the body shop that visited to provide her input seemed pretty adamant about saying there should have been no way for that to happen regarding any chemicals they used. I have the suspicion that any fault from the detailer would be a constant application/removal of trying to get it right would be their reason for failure if at all, of course they might not say that out loud. Otherwise I'm not sure

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Lot of assumptions here. I personally talked to the guy who I knew was doing it and dudes been doing it for 20+ years. Possible he messes up? Yeah for sure lol no one saying shop didn't mess up. The fact they did a lot cars is just a measurement of their level of reliability. Nothing guarantees success silly. The more cars they've done with success, their ability to succeed. If you've never had a service performed before, is experience not one of the best indicators for a good selection? lol

No one ever said dealership "owes me anything" either. But I think it's fair to say it's interesting that the paint seemingly only failed in a select few spots.

I appreciate your feedback brother but taking jabs at the detailer when you have 0 clue of how they went about their work isn't very helpful. I'll definitely bring it up to mention a possible future discount though
Iono man, looking at your pictures and from my amateur experience of ppf and tinting on my own cars, it looks like the kept trying to lift the ppf when it was too dry. If the ppf wasn't sticking, the paint shouldnt just melt or lift from being touched, the soapy water they prep with would help prevent that. And the lower bumper paint having a clean rip, that looks like it was pulled clean off the car with force.

Plus font bumpers ppf takes hours like 4-6 average and usually recommend 2 guys. whereas fenders, rear bumper oplique, and especially hoods are easy asf and quick to complete by 1 person in comparison. And as a other poster pointed out, if the detailer is willing to front a new paint job, he knows he fk up, lol. somebody fd up and the detailer was there when it happend. But, you can believe it's the dealers fault, agree to disagree. I hope my opinion doesn't upset you, just my opnion.opinion. and if you really want to get nit picky, test the bumper paint, they don't usually opf near the edges or under the bumper. Scratch or rub that shit and see what happens, I bet the clear coat is head asf.

Last edited:

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iono man, looking at your pictures and from my amateur experience of ppf and tinting on my own cars, it looks like the kept trying to lift the ppf when it was too dry. If the ppf wasn't sticking, the paint shouldnt just melt or lift from being touched, the soapy water they prep with would help prevent that. And the lower bumper paint having a clean rip, that looks like it was pulled clean off the car with force.

Plus font bumpers ppf takes hours like 4-6 average and usually recommend 2 guys. whereas fenders, rear bumper oplique, and especially hoods are easy asf and quick to complete by 1 person in comparison. And as a other poster pointed out, if the detailer is willing to front a new paint job, he knows he fk up, lol. somebody fd up and the detailer was there when it happend. But, you can believe it's the dealers fault, agree to disagree. I hope my opinion doesn't upset you, just trying to keep it real.
No bro absolutely not, I encourage the feedback. Just for the record I don't have any particular beliefs of its the detailer or not, I just think the evidence supports the detailer.

If I'm a business owner, the right thing to do is to offer a bumper repaint because realistically at the end of the day, you want to keep your customer happy. Even if the detailer think it's their fault or not. The guys at the shop could be straight up lying and know they effed up lol. But I don't think it's fair to say just because they offered to pay for a repaint necessarily incriminates them. People do stuff because sometimes it's just the right thing to do. But that's all speculation.

But no, no upset lol. Hey dude I'll let you know how it goes, merry Christmas to you and your family brother.

Last edited:

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Merry Xmas to you and everyone here as well. End of the day it's just a bumper made for bumping cars, and you still got your ctr unlike the rest of us tranks and lobos.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Shitty situation spend good money to protect the paint to end up with ruined paint. Agreed this looks like an install error to me.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
No bro absolutely not, I encourage the feedback. Just for the record I don't have any particular beliefs of its the detailer or not, I just think the evidence supports the detailer.

If I'm a business owner, the right thing to do is to offer a bumper repaint because realistically at the end of the day, you want to keep your customer happy. Even if the detailer think it's their fault or not. The guys at the shop could be straight up lying and know they effed up lol. But I don't think it's fair to say just because they offered to pay for a repaint necessarily incriminates them. People do stuff because sometimes it's just the right thing to do. But that's all speculation.

But no, no upset lol. Hey dude I'll let you know how it goes, merry Christmas to you and your family brother.
I have no opinion on how your car got messed up but as a mechanic at a small family owned shop I can tell you that your view on them offering to take care of it is spot on. Our business thrives on a good reputation. You wouldnā€™t believe how often we take care of things that are 100% not our fault but could easily be viewed that way in a customers eyes. Just part of this kind of business. Good luck with the repairs. Sounds like youā€™re going to be taken care of one way or another.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update

Took it to Germain Honda of Dublin this morning. The guy checked it out, took some pictures of the areas that were bad and said he has to send it up to his Honda rep for review to get it covered under warranty.

He said he doesn't see why they wouldn't cover it, can take up to a week to hear back. So we shall see what happens next.

Won't stop me from riding it around with some nice weather hitting the middle of this week!

Last edited:

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Has Service reached out to you whether they will cover the paint under warranty? Or the Honda rep is still trying to have somebody review your situation?

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Service reached out to you whether they will cover the paint under warranty? Or the Honda rep is still trying to have somebody review your situation?
Was gonna wait till I got it back to post about it. They did confirm they covered it under warranty they have it right now.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update: Car picked up from the dealership. Bumper waa repainted and looks good.

Dropped it back off at the detailer and should be done next Monday-Wednesday.

Wife's getting induced tonight so shouldn't have any concerns thinking about it this weekend!

mills_\nm/

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HRV
Quick update: Car picked up from the dealership. Bumper waa repainted and looks good.

Dropped it back off at the detailer and should be done next Monday-Wednesday.

Wife's getting induced tonight so shouldn't have any concerns thinking about it this weekend!
Congratulations!
Sponsored