• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Poor FL5 Owner

Fl5ap

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Yo,

So, the purpose of this chat is to promote the other dudes who made it happen.

Happen? I mean, we're extremely fortunate to have FL5 in the garage.

It seems very common around here to be open. So don't comment if it's not positive.

I'm the first to admit, my FL5 was the worst financial decision I made. I paid 8k mark up, flew to Colorado and drove back to LA with 1k miles, paint chips, no ppf, but God damn, best 1k miles of my life.

However, and, at no fault to the dudes who were able to - or - are able to spend an additional 2k on protection and then the additional mods, it seems like no one on here is providing that insight.

There's no denying there will be different economic owners of this amazing car. But, this chat is for the dudes who are just making it happen.

And, no, Not that poor. Just realistic.
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I wouldn't consider myself poor but I did have to finance part of my FL5 when I bought it. In many circles anyone who finances anything is "poor" and shouldn't be buying it in the first place. I did pay a markup close to yours but I also received my car in January. Another dumb decision that "rich" people will tell you is a mistake. However, I've been enjoying my car for the last 9 months and didn't have to get on 50 dealership call lists...

Do I regret anything about the purchase? Not really. I'm grateful that I was able to save a good chunk of money for a down payment so it doesn't really impact my monthly finances. I'm also young enough that I get to enjoy it, not mind the squeaks and rattles that much, and occasionally take my kids to school. This is my daily driver and get to drive it most of the year.

It would probably make more sense to put all of this money into my retirement so that I can retire 1.8 years earlier but I'm of the mindset that I might not make it until then. I would be pretty disappointed in myself if I didn't try to live a little along the way.

Some people blow a lot of money traveling the world. I prefer to spend it on a nice car that I get to enjoy every day. It's important to figure out what makes you happy and focus on those things instead of what society tells you to do. Most of us can't do it all so try to prioritize what makes you happy.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Yo,

It seems very common around here to be open. So don't comment if it's not positive.

I'm the first to admit, my FL5 was the worst financial decision I made. I paid 8k mark up, flew to Colorado and drove back to LA with 1k miles, paint chips, no ppf, but God damn, best 1k miles of my life.

However, and, at no fault to the dudes who were able to - or - are able to spend an additional 2k on protection and then the additional mods, it seems like no one on here is providing that insight.

There's no denying there will be different economic owners of this amazing car. But, this chat is for the dudes who are just making it happen.

Different financial situations for everybody. I believe in enjoying your car and not putting your livelihood at risk. As long as your basics are met you do what you want.

I personally like to have a safety fund just in case stuff goes sideways. But I spend too much on cars anyways and not the best financial decision maker according to people.šŸ˜‚ but I do try to make it work on my budget.

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It made absolutely no common or financial sense for me to buy my CTR. I'm 61 now and the didn't buy my first new car until I was almost 40. I've always been somewhat of a car guy but have spent my whole life driving boring common sense cars that served the needs of the family. When I found out my local dealership had a CW CTR on their showroom floor all of my common sense and restraint went straight out the window. The kids are out of the house and doing well on their own so why not? It's clichƩ that 'you can't take it you when you die', but you really can't. I can tell you one thing I've had a big stupid grin on my face since buying this car and that is priceless.

EliCTR

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bb fl5
financing something absolutely does not mean or equate to being poor at all, especially cars. hard disagree on that rich circle talk
Heā€™s right. Even if you had cash it would theoretically on average net you more money by financing and investing the cash.

dathoneycomb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI coupe rr
I paid 7 over (about half of which did go toward things like wheel and tire, etc so probably not as bad as a lot of deals). I put several thousand down to offset that and yeah I financed a decent chunk of it. Iā€™ve had the car for 7 months or so. I love the car and Iā€™m happy with having bought it. Was it a good financial decision? Probably not, but I could sell it for at least what I owe if I ever want out, so Iā€™m not sad.

nawfoo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Si
Started with a $100,000 dollar mortgage in 2015 and a 2002 Toyota Camry.

Bought a ILX for $24,000 with $7500 down.
Traded in the ILX for a BMW 335I for $32,000 and $7500 down.
Traded in the BMW for a Jetta GLI and $2500 down.
Let my friend take over payments on the GLI and bought a BMW M240i and $20,000 down.
Traded in the BMW and bought the Integra with $7500 down.

Mortgage is currently at under $60,000 and house should have been paid off by now. However the price of the house did double.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah the whole ā€œfinancing is for poor peopleā€ statement is just a dumb thing that rich, ignorant, people say. LOL! And even if getting a CTR was a stretch for you and not a prudent financial decision, thatā€™s your business! The best and most difficult lessons in life are often learned by making your own mistakes. This is sometimes difficult for friends and family to watch, but itā€™s your life. The only thing I have a problem with is when people donā€™t take accountability for their actions, then whine and complain about how hard life isā€¦while living in their parentā€™s basement and the CTR is sitting in the driveway.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Wanna laugh? Here in Italy there is a "super tax" for cars with power exceeding 185 kW. So I pay ā‚¬1140 (1222 USD) annual extra tax for the 242 kW of the Type-R, in addition to the normal regional tax
At least this is considered a supercar in one country of the world! Lol.

Last edited:

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
If you reach the end and buying a CTR at $8k over MSRP + travel is the worst financial decision you ever made, you will likely have done very well financially.

Take care of the car, make your payments, and don't sweat the rest. This forum gives you (sometimes/often unnecessary) insight into what others are able to do to their car(s). Do you.

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
Yo,

I got my ā€˜21 for MSRP here in Tenn. Fun, fun, fun. Enjoy your ride buddy! Life is too short not to enjoy every chance you get
Sponsored