• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Poor FL5 Owner

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
If you're looking for financial advice from this forum, I strongly urge you to rethink and do some actual research.

If you're looking for fellow CTR owners to share and learn from, you're in the right place!
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@TW00Si Iā€™m with you. If you can afford to have the hobby (youā€™re playing with ā€œfunā€ money and not ā€œbillsā€ money), thereā€™s no justification or explanation needed for any of it. Hobbies are strictly for personal enjoyment!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
@TW00Si Iā€™m with you. If you can afford to have the hobby (youā€™re playing with ā€œfunā€ money and not ā€œbillsā€ money), thereā€™s no justification or explanation needed for any of it. Hobbies are strictly for personal enjoyment!
Yolo!šŸ˜‚

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
Yo,

So, the purpose of this chat is to promote the other dudes who made it happen.

Happen? I mean, we're extremely fortunate to have FL5 in the garage.

It seems very common around here to be open. So don't comment if it's not positive.

I'm the first to admit, my FL5 was the worst financial decision I made. I paid 8k mark up, flew to Colorado and drove back to LA with 1k miles, paint chips, no ppf, but God damn, best 1k miles of my life.

However, and, at no fault to the dudes who were able to - or - are able to spend an additional 2k on protection and then the additional mods, it seems like no one on here is providing that insight.

There's no denying there will be different economic owners of this amazing car. But, this chat is for the dudes who are just making it happen.

And, no, Not that poor. Just realistic.
so youā€™re the reason why i couldnā€™t find any FL5 in Colorado lol. I nearly had to fly out to get a DE5. Iā€™m surprised you didnā€™t buy some ppf and slap it on yourself for the 1k mile drive home. Sure it would have possibly looked funny but you would have saved the paint on all that high speed driving

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
I paid a 10k markup and got the car last December. The winter was rough sleeping in it, but you know, itā€™s a hatchback, so I can stuff a lot of extra blankets back there for the kids to stay warm. Family got sick of sleeping back there in February so now I get a little better gas mileage without them.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I need a new car soon because my beater isn't cutting it, but I need to make a good financial decision. That means I'm making a logical, economical decision to forgo the CTR in favor of an Si. I don't need to pay +$20k for the the extra 100hp, -3 seconds to 60mph, track tuned suspension that I will never use. +40mpg with a soft foot on the highway and lower insurance is what makes me excited at my age :|

Preyforsurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
I bought my FL5 last year and a house this year so I feel I'm doing alright.
The whole financing argument is garbage though and "rich" people usually don't say "don't finance". There are a lot of extra caveats to that and would be way too much to get into. But borrowing isn't taboo, and borrowing against a car that a year later is still worth over msrp is making out. Also, not that I'm suggesting to let loan agreements run to full term, but as time moves on that loan agreement gets cheaper for you and in the FL5s case more expensive for the loaner.

RickyJeezus

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
I had the same struggle in my head when I bought my FK8 back in August 2021. I'm not poor, but I'm not rich either, so going from my $35k mk7.5 GTI (which I got for less than $30k) to a Civic which I paid $4k over ($48k otd with California taxes) felt like I was making a financial mistake. I'm sure if you ask any financial advisor that you want to buy a near $50k Honda that they wouldn't recommend it, but I closed myself on getting the car knowing that I would never really be under water, and if I ever ended up in a situation where I couldn't afford the car I could easily get out of my loan. Of course, 2 years later, a few mods here and there, and I'm left wondering why didn't I buy one sooner, its the car I always wanted...and that's all that really matters.

DSAINJERSEY

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 TYPE R
It made absolutely no common or financial sense for me to buy my CTR. I'm 61 now and the didn't buy my first new car until I was almost 40. I've always been somewhat of a car guy but have spent my whole life driving boring common sense cars that served the needs of the family. When I found out my local dealership had a CW CTR on their showroom floor all of my common sense and restraint went straight out the window. The kids are out of the house and doing well on their own so why not? It's clichƩ that 'you can't take it you when you die', but you really can't. I can tell you one thing I've had a big stupid grin on my face since buying this car and that is priceless.
I'm not quite as old, 47, but I really get it. I always had boring company cars for free. Now disabled and spending a lot of time on the sideline the CTR is a perfect choice for me both lifestyle wise and fiscally. I could have just bought a civic touring but at what point must we say at what point is it right to spend vs save. It's a rainy day inhave NY cat and kniw I'm still good should anything happen

xcon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Stop worrying about life. Enjoy the car today, because the ride maybe over tomorrow. Only God knows. These are great cars with great value. Enjoy my friend.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I saw a show the other day where a 71 yr old dude drag races his Dodge Demon. He has always owned muscle cars, but his Demon is the best and most expensive heā€™s ever had. Iā€™m not that old, but the man is clearly wise and has the right idea. Watching that show made me think in a more YOLO way about my FL5. Enjoy the drive! Thatā€™s what these purpose-built machines are for!

MKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
YOLO
You know how many would kill to own one?
Lifeā€™s too short! Enjoy it!
Sponsored