• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rant - Wipers!

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si Blaze Orange
I absolutely hate the wipers on my Si. Whoever designed these should be fired...or test in Canada...

The auto wipe function completely sucks compared to a timed based interval wipe (delayed). They are either way too fast or too slow no matter how I set the sensitivity. Junk.

The wipe assemblies get frozen very easily and don't wipe proper. Complete pain in the ass to free up. The spray nozzles are a joke, also freezing up...and don't get me started with not being able to raise the blades off the windshield to break them free. At least there is a maintenance position...

Anyway, it's not a complete deal breaker for me but hugely frustrating!
Sponsored

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
Yup cold weather, the nozzles are worthles, and ice is getting into the hinges of the blade and freezing it up, and since water expands when frozen, it’s causing the blade to distort, and not swipe across the glass correctly. Only fix is pour hot water on them, or spray a mixture or water and isopropyl alcohol on them, before you set off. It’ll melt the ice in the blade hinges and allow the rubber to sit flush.

HardLuckFE1

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Civic Si
Chiming in, with more Canadian problems lol all the above mentioned is true and definitely an annoying design flaw, underengineered if you will.
My complaint specifically regards the A-pillar water channels on the driver side of the windshield.
In winter conditions, when using the windshield washer at highway speeds. Excess road muck/washer fluid is wiped away by the wipers proceeding to blow past the a-pillar windshield channel, smearing across the drivers side window, drying or freezing and negating the use of the mirrors and blind spot monitoring.
.. as if they never used the windshield washer system in the wind tunnel.. lol

still love my si.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
Chiming in, with more Canadian problems lol all the above mentioned is true and definitely an annoying design flaw, underengineered if you will.
My complaint specifically regards the A-pillar water channels on the driver side of the windshield.
In winter conditions, when using the windshield washer at highway speeds. Excess road muck/washer fluid is wiped away by the wipers proceeding to blow past the a-pillar windshield channel, smearing across the drivers side window, drying or freezing and negating the use of the mirrors and blind spot monitoring.

still love my si.
Yup! ??
Im changing out for aftermarket wiper arms and inserts when//if they come available

kanav

First Name
Kanav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si Black

still love my si.
Had this issue on both my 10th and 11th gen, i try to use the washer fluid at a red light if it isn’t too bad lol

evped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
I absolutely hate the wipers on my Si. Whoever designed these should be fired...or test in Canada...

The auto wipe function completely sucks compared to a timed based interval wipe (delayed). They are either way too fast or too slow no matter how I set the sensitivity. Junk.

The wipe assemblies get frozen very easily and don't wipe proper. Complete pain in the ass to free up. The spray nozzles are a joke, also freezing up...and don't get me started with not being able to raise the blades off the windshield to break them free. At least there is a maintenance position...

Anyway, it's not a complete deal breaker for me but hugely frustrating!
I cant believe in the six years since the 10th gen has been out, that Honda has not fixed this. The automatic setting on both of my Tourings is useless. So frustrating that I had the dealer disconnect the sensor and turn my wipers into normal intermittent. Great cars otherwise.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Having gone through similar issues, I put on some dedicated winter wipers today, these are designed for -40 degs temps, hoping they make a difference. They have a slightly different aero design as I feel some of the issues are caused by certain headwinds or sidewinds when driving. My wipers will work great in bad winter storms one day and then act up in better weather the next day so it is hard to pin down, temp related or wind related, etc. If these work I will run a dedicated winter wiper and summer wiper, just like we used to do in the "old" days.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Super quick update, the new wipers are worse than the old ones and the Icons tested previously. This car has a flaw on the wiper system , likely the wiper arms themselves. Not worth testing it any further for me. It is just a crappy system.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si Blaze Orange
Very, very crappy design...
Sponsored