• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF?

majinm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R FL5
If satin finishes are your thing, XPEL Stealth makes sense. A few items to consider:
  • Assuming you're not installing this yourself, perform enhanced due diligence on the installer. These films are only as good as the person installing them.
  • You'll also want to ascertain what type of install you're after and what is being offered. Is the detailer primarily using precut patterns with little to no modification or is it a custom install where they'll take the car apart and spare no expense in search of perfection. This makes a difference on how it looks and cost.
  • SGP is a fine color and finish and takes on different shades/hues depending on lighting conditions and/or angle. You're covering up on the best features of the car.
  • One of the downsides of wrapping an entire car in film is the cost. Depending on where you're having this work done you're looking at ~$4,750 - ~$9,000. Is that money well spent? That's only a question you can answer.
Your third point really hit home for me. I am considering XPEL stealth since it would make the car a little more unique relative to other SGP FL5s but I do love the Gray Pearl and its iridescent characteristic. Especially when the sunlight is hitting and it changes to a lighter hue.

So I've been hesitant to get stealth mainly because I don't want to cover up this feature of the paint. And I'm just not sure if I'd like the new look more or less than the original paint and then I'd be stuck with it basically forever 😝 so it seems like a high risk for me personally.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gryphongod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5 #10837
Your third point really hit home for me. I am considering XPEL stealth since it would make the car a little more unique relative to other SGP FL5s but I do love the Gray Pearl and its iridescent characteristic. Especially when the sunlight is hitting and it changes to a lighter hue.

So I've been hesitant to get stealth mainly because I don't want to cover up this feature of the paint. And I'm just not sure if I'd like the new look more or less than the original paint and then I'd be stuck with it basically forever 😝 so it seems like a high risk for me personally.
I believe you can get the film removed, but it would be a very expensive mistake 💸

majinm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R FL5
I believe you can get the film removed, but it would be a very expensive mistake 💸
Yeah you definitely can remove it but I can't throw away thousands of dollars cuz I prefer to go back to the original look lol

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

I understand. It's a very high risk decision because ppf is a sunk cost. You'll NEVER get the money back no matter what they say. That money is gone. I would not be comfortable paying $7,500 hoping I like it. My risk tolerance is too low for that.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Have the detailer apply a piece of scrap film on the car (maybe a 12” x 12 square) and wrap it over a place on the car where you can always easily see the paint “flop” colors (like on a corner). Take the car out in the sunlight and see if you like it. Surely the detailer would be willing to accommodate this request. I think you’ll still be able to see the color and pearl shine thru as you do today, but it simply won’t be glossy.

OP
OP

gryphongod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5 #10837
Have the detailer apply a piece of scrap film on the car (maybe a 12” x 12 square) and wrap it over a place on the car where you can always easily see the paint “flop” colors (like on a corner). Take the car out in the sunlight and see if you like it. Surely the detailer would be willing to accommodate this request. I think you’ll still be able to see the color and pearl shine thru as you do today, but it simply won’t be glossy.
I agree, I think the paint will keep its properties of changing in different lighting, but will just be a matte texture. I do plan on having the detailer place a piece of film on the car to see how it looks so we'll see if that's true or not.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Exactly; the pearl effect will translate to a pretty substantial degree even after the film is applied.

I stole these images from the Integra forums, apparently the product manager for the Integra, Jon Rivers, had his Platinum White Pearl car wrapped in Stealth, and in one pic in particular you can clearly see the pearl effect is very much present:

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF? IMG_2087

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF? IMG_2088

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF? IMG_2089

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF? IMG_2090

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF? IMG_2091

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF? IMG_2092

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF? IMG_2093

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
with stealth wrap if impurities embed into the wrap I believe you’ll be screwed because you most likely won’t be able to polish them out without screwing up the matte look. I recently had this issue low on my passenger side where some sort of road debris embedded into the surface of my clear gloss wrap and I was able to use an aggressive compound and polish it out just like clear coat paint

Last edited:

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Well, I decided to go through with it. I think it turned out really good!

2023-08-16 08.36.11.jpg

2023-08-16 08.36.22.jpg

2023-08-16 08.36.34.jpg

2023-08-16 08.36.45.jpg
Looks good! I almost had my SGP done in stealth as well back in Feb, but opted for normal PPF.

Just one word of caution, I'm not sure how badly tears will show in the stealth PPF. I already have 3 or 4 tears in my PPF from rocks hitting my car. Just something to keep an eye out for.

OP
OP

gryphongod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5 #10837
Looks good! I almost had my SGP done in stealth as well back in Feb, but opted for normal PPF.

Just one word of caution, I'm not sure how badly tears will show in the stealth PPF. I already have 3 or 4 tears in my PPF from rocks hitting my car. Just something to keep an eye out for.
Good to know. Definitely lots to learn with this car. I think I just experienced my first rock in the brakes and was freaking out due to the horrendous screeching 😂

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Good to know. Definitely lots to learn with this car. I think I just experienced my first rock in the brakes and was freaking out due to the horrendous screeching 😂
I know the feeling man. The first time I heard the electronic wastegate rattle I panicked a little.

When I had my car PPF'ed, I also had the civic badge removed from the rear end. Was my installers suggestion and I went with it.

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on Xpel Stealth PPF? FL5 Rear End

Jaferm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8(sold), 02 T4R, 05 S2K, 23 FL5
I know the feeling man. The first time I heard the electronic wastegate rattle I panicked a little.

When I had my car PPF'ed, I also had the civic badge removed from the rear end. Was my installers suggestion and I went with it.

FL5 Rear End.png
Nice! Looks like you got the one from Brannon. I considered swapping my black one for their SGP.

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Nice! Looks like you got the one from Brannon. I considered swapping my black one for their SGP.
Yea, I called and asked about it while it was in transit thanks to the vin number tracker a member on this forum made. They didn't even know they had it coming, as far as the sales people went. I had it locked in before they had it listed on their website, lol. Just under 5k ADM.
Sponsored