• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R Thefts

E90076

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, M5 CS, M2 CS, 992 GT3
Looking into a FL5 Type R but first wanted to check with the community if there have been any reoccurring issues with thefts. I’ve had a GTR stolen a while back so always something I want to consider… It’s likely safe to say Type Rs would be a target but just not sure if their theft prevention equipment deters most from taking action.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think manual trans is going to be a deterrent to all except “pro” thieves nowadays. So I think the FL5 has that in its favor. Someone else posted a really good theft disabler in another thread. The electrical system is completely locked-out without the physical plug-in key. Of course I cannot remember the name nor figure out what thread it was in now.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I think manual trans is going to be a deterrent to all except “pro” thieves nowadays. So I think the FL5 has that in its favor. Someone else posted a really good theft disabler in another thread. The electrical system is completely locked-out without the physical plug-in key. Of course I cannot remember the name nor figure out what thread it was in now.
I believe this is the thread you're referring to.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/is-anyone-doing-anything-extra-for-the-security-system.51803/

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I don't think car theft is as great a concern given the CTR's relative rarity. To most people, it's just another Civic. Those who may know about its inherent value are likely to be interested in a thrill ride and trashing it. Fortunately, most of those aren't skilled at boosting a car nor (as well-mentioned above by "Type RD") driving a stick. And if a Pro wants it for a well-heeled client, there's really not much one can do to stop them. They'll not mess around with trying to start the car, but rather quickly pull it onto a flatbed trailer and take care of business at a safer location. Viper makes a popular, albeit expensive, alarm and tracking system. Unfortunately, it too can be found and disarmed in seconds by a professional car thief. Police and insurance companies advocate, as deterrents, etching the VIN into glass panels, frame subcomponents, etc. The number one factor is geography and why insurance rates vary as they do. Bakersfield CA, Denver-Publeo, and Albuquerque will have significantly greater rates than small rural towns. My biggest concern is for vandalism. The CTR seems to attract a lot of unwanted attention, jealousy, etc. from passersby with a key or other sharp objects who enjoy leaving a long, deep scratch down the side of our newly acquired CTRs. I hope no one has to deal with these kinds of frustrations and can enjoy a great car for what it is - fun.

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Type R
My 2017 Si was stolen 5 months after purchase. I have to look for the footage. Relay attack.. two man job. So theft has been on my mind since I first considered this vehicle.

Short story time. I felt that I was being followed by a 2500HD. My suspicion was confirmed when I pulled into a BK to grab dinner and the 2500 pulled up with me. They did not order. Just tailed me into the BK and out. When I got close to home, my idea was to continue on in circles, but he stopped following. Or so I thought.. cause seconds after I parked, he drove through the front of my house slowly as I unlocked my door. I didn't pay it any mind. Next morning, I'm leaving for work aaand its gone. I told the police about getting plates from the BK cameras and yada yada, but they straight up told me that its not solid proof and resources won't be used on it.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
My 2017 Si was stolen 5 months after purchase. I have to look for the footage. Relay attack.. two man job. So theft has been on my mind since I first considered this vehicle.

Short story time. I felt that I was being followed by a 2500HD. My suspicion was confirmed when I pulled into a BK to grab dinner and the 2500 pulled up with me. They did not order. Just tailed me into the BK and out. When I got close to home, my idea was to continue on in circles, but he stopped following. Or so I thought.. cause seconds after I parked, he drove through the front of my house slowly as I unlocked my door. I didn't pay it any mind. Next morning, I'm leaving for work aaand its gone. I told the police about getting plates from the BK cameras and yada yada, but they straight up told me that its not solid proof and resources won't be used on it.
Sorry it happened and hope insurance came through! I heard about a Gallardo in your area having its cats stolen. Apparently used a diamond blade sawzall to slice through the overhead air box, etc. and had both converters out in minutes.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I live in a somewhat seedy area and am not too worried - not throwing a set of Volks on there either but... this isn't my '99 Civic Si which was stolen 5 (or 6 if you count my friend's I borrowed) times.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link

I'm always paranoid. If I feel I'm being followed, I let it be known that I'm onto them lol.

OP
OP

E90076

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, M5 CS, M2 CS, 992 GT3
Just saw that you live in Texas, you'll be fine. if u lived in Cali , NYC or DC I'd be worried.

Just get some pro gun sticker/plates and you'll be set
You’d think so…that’s where the GTR was taken though…

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Just saw that you live in Texas, you'll be fine. if u lived in Cali , NYC or DC I'd be worried.

Just get some pro gun sticker/plates and you'll be set
You know Texas still has a ton of vehicle theft right? Top 10 when looked at frequency of theft and also one of the biggest percentage increases in 2021-2022 vs prior year of any state according to several insurance data sites. The delusion of guns making you safer continues…

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Now I have to watch “Life” and the “Equalizer” after the late Wild game. Damn you guys see what you did, Im too old for this.