• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VTEC History

onepointsix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TW FG2
Great read. I have the actual magazine the article is from back in 2009 and remember being totally pumped to see what A-VTEC was going to bring to the table. From the article: "
 the sound, the pull, the way it would go to 8,000 rpm so easily" is the reason I'll keep my K20Z as long as possible. Good times!

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The 2.2 L VTEC in my buddy’s 97 Prelude (back in college) is the best sounding of any I’ve ever heard stock. Apparently it was difficult/expensive to modify (it was a rather expensive car at the time too) and so it doesn’t get as much recognition as perhaps it should. They weren’t a high volume vehicle. I think the car’s design is still fantastic today and I catch myself staring any time I see a clean example on the road. His got T-boned at an intersection and totaled. Dang. He ended up using the insurance money to buy a rare 95 Prelude VTEC
which is also a great car, but the design has not aged as well.

Good times😄

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The 2.2 L VTEC in my buddy’s 97 Prelude (back in college) is the best sounding of any I’ve ever heard stock. Apparently it was difficult/expensive to modify (it was a rather expensive car at the time too) and so it doesn’t get as much recognition as perhaps it should. They weren’t a high volume vehicle. I think the car’s design is still fantastic today and I catch myself staring any time I see a clean example on the road. His got T-boned at an intersection and totaled. Dang. He ended up using the insurance money to buy a rare 95 Prelude VTEC
which is also a great car, but the design has not aged as well.

Good times😄
I really liked the fifth generation Prelude as well. I believe it was often overlooked and history doesn't remember it well because it was heavy and expensive for its time. I believe the SH trim was mid-high $20ks which was spendy in the late 90s/early 2000s for a Japanese import.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Clark_Kent Yep exactly. I think Honda made the Prelude just to help them compete in the sports coupes segment (between the Silvia and Skyline). Nissan had some major swagger back then. It did have some nicer features and interior than others
but it was ultimately a rather niche option in comparison. I’d love to see Honda bring back the Prelude in some form
even though it’d likely be electric.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for sharing this. I miss the audible sound and kick of VTEC crossover. It would be nice if Honda was still able to recreate this experience in their modern FI motors. 4PR recently released a drop in billet camshaft that produces the sounds of a more aggressive VTEC transition. It appears to make some really good power as well.

https://4pistonracing.com/blogs/news/fl5-civic-type-r-4p-tr2-camshaft-install-and-dyno-test
Same reason I will never get rid of my s2000. It feels like an old school honda. I think they could have been a little more aggressive with the VTEC on the type R its one of the few complaints.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Same reason I will never get rid of my s2000. It feels like an old school honda. I think they could have been a little more aggressive with the VTEC on the type R its one of the few complaints.
I agree. The S2000 is a gem! If memory serves me well it's the last of the true Honda 'screamers'. Is it an AP1 or AP2?

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I agree. The S2000 is a gem! If memory serves me well it's the last of the true Honda 'screamers'. Is it an AP1 or AP2?
The one I have is a Ap2 with reflash revving to 8,500rpms but I’m building a spare engine to make it to 300whp N/A at 9k Rpms.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think the K20Z might technically be the last of the small displacement / high rev “screamers.” An argument could be made for the K24, but to me the K24 is where Honda started edging toward more torque and less revs. Both are great engines, no doubt there.

As far as “screamers” put in truly high performance vehicles, yeah, the S2000 is the last of its kind from Honda
at least in North America.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think the K20Z might technically be the last of the small displacement / high rev “screamers.” An argument could be made for the K24, but to me the K24 is where Honda started edging toward more torque and less revs. Both are great engines, no doubt there.

As far as “screamers” put in truly high performance vehicles, yeah, the S2000 is the last of its kind from Honda
at least in North America.
Yeah stock K24’s are not screamers. But with a few mods they can get up there and then some. I have seen some K24’s pulling all the way to 11k rpmsđŸ˜±.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Jester04 Yeah, some people are getting pretty outstanding NA VTEC power (as you’ve seen), mixing and matching K20 & K24 blocks & heads. It’s pretty awesome. Parts are cheap and plentiful, particularly the K24. It was used in so many different Honda vehicles for several years.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@Jester04 Yeah, some people are getting pretty outstanding NA VTEC power (as you’ve seen), mixing and matching K20 & K24 blocks & heads. It’s pretty awesome. Parts are cheap and plentiful, particularly the K24. It was used in so many different Honda vehicles for several years.
yeah they are fun to build and cheap like you said. And sky is the limit too!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Jester04, I may have to walk-back my “K24’s aren’t really screamers” statement. This car is amazing.