• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone notice a hose under the left side? Again. Really hard to wrap my brain around it. I wish it's something to do with reducing turbo lag but I don't see much hardware there.

What if they're trying to cool it with water to reduce heat coming from the turbo?
I just saw someone on instagram claim they heard it was active cooling… I wonder if it could be like the Hellcats, where they use the AC to cool inlet temps? Didn’t hear anything about a button or setting, so maybe it’s a passive system.
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Anyone notice a hose under the left side? Again. Really hard to wrap my brain around it. I wish it's something to do with reducing turbo lag but I don't see much hardware there.

What if they're trying to cool it with water to reduce heat coming from the turbo?
I believe that hose is just connecting to the coolant pipe that crosses over that area. Look at the FK8 engine bay and you'll see the same thing. In this case it's just covered up by this unknown piece.

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
I'm thinking Honda engineers probably heard of these cars heat soaking and did something to slow it down. Fk8, 10th gen Accord , 10th Gen Civics (Turbo models) and the 11th gen all heak soak like crazy.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I'm thinking Honda engineers probably heard of these cars heat soaking and did something to slow it down. Fk8, 10th gen Accord , 10th Gen Civics (Turbo models) and the 11th gen all heak soak like crazy.
Stock? I've never had an issue with it on my Accord.

I've heard of the Type R having issues on the track... but it isn't a racecar.

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
Stock? I've never had an issue with it on my Accord.

I've heard of the Type R having issues on the track... but it isn't a racecar.
For daily use you wouldn’t notice too much but if you live in a hot climate you will notice your performance is affected by the heat. That’s why a bigger FMIC, charge pipes, enclosed style intakes and downpipes help these cars immensely keeping their IAT’s and ECT’s down.

Better cooling = better performance especially on Turbo cars.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
I really expect it has something to do with cooling..

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I think it's for signage.. where else does it say typeR under the hood?

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
There has to be a serviceable part within that box, they would not use those bolts for a decorative plate. They could have used rivets or adhesive if it was not meant to be opened, those bolts were meant to be opened and closed if needed for some reason. They are a pretty good sized bolt, so they will hold some decent torque, too much for something decorative. That plate will likely have a seal on it , hence the bolts being used to keep the seal tight. What it is I dunno, but it is an active serviceable part for sure.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR, 14 Ridgeline
wild thought here, what if this was some component to an e-turbo, similar to F1 technology and recently Porsche deployed in their mass produced 911s turbos. Something to help turbo lag and lower range power certainly not as sophisticated as the units in F1, but something to help with lag on a bigger turbo which we most likely expect on the FL5 and also paving the way for electrification by charging back instead of waste gate in the form of energy loss
Good guess but I don't think Honda is anywhere to putting that in a Civic yet. Not at this price point.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
I think it's for signage.. where else does it say typeR under the hood?
There is the possibility still its just for looks lol.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Might be used to direct air towards to the hood extraction vent
The vent seems to be sitting in front of the ”skillet”. I’d like to see one in person just to find out if this is true. Hopefully, Honda will reveal what it does in the near future. This is the only thing (skillet) I stare at whenever the hood is open. 🤣

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Just curious what would be the purpose of a heat sink before the turbo? Isn’t it fresh air coming from the airbox?
The turbo inlet pipe sits above the turbo, thus receiving the radiating heat from exhaust parts and heating the intake air before it even reaches the cold side of the turbo.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
The vent seems to be sitting in front of the ”skillet”. I’d like to see one in person just to find out if this is true. Hopefully, Honda will reveal what it does in the near future. This is the only thing (skillet) I stare at whenever the hood is open. 🤣
Best believe as soon as we get a Type R first thing I am doing is cracking it open lol.