• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why is ordering/buying so difficult?

em804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
Hey everyone!

I'd like to purchase an EX trim in one of four different colors, and black interior regardless of what color exterior I pick. All these combinations are available online. I'm not trying to pick a green exterior which doesn't exist or combine trim/color which isn't possible.

So, if I pick a color combo, say Meteorite Gray Metallic with black interior. Shouldn't I be able to just make a deposit and whenever the next one is built, have them ship it to a dealership near me?

There are 8 dealerships within an hour drive of my home and not one of them has been able to get their hands on a color combo I want since the car went on sale.

How's this possible? Do I just live in a small market where people only purchase white or black cars? Every one of these dealerships near me has either a black EX/LX or a white EX/LX and not one other color.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Hey everyone!

I'd like to purchase an EX trim in one of four different colors, and black interior regardless of what color exterior I pick. All these combinations are available online. I'm not trying to pick a green exterior which doesn't exist or combine trim/color which isn't possible.

So, if I pick a color combo, say Meteorite Gray Metallic with black interior. Shouldn't I be able to just make a deposit and whenever the next one is built, have them ship it to a dealership near me?

There are 8 dealerships within an hour drive of my home and not one of them has been able to get their hands on a color combo I want since the car went on sale.

How's this possible? Do I just live in a small market where people only purchase white or black cars? Every one of these dealerships near me has either a black EX/LX or a white EX/LX and not one other color.
Honda allocates color combo / trim mixture sent to each dealer, not the other way around. Dealer can either take it (everything Honda sends) or get nothing. Find the largest Honda dealer near you, place a deposit, and wait. Good luck!

OP
OP

em804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
Honda allocates color combo / trim mixture sent to each dealer, not the other way around. Dealer can either take it (everything Honda sends) or get nothing. Find the largest Honda dealer near you, place a deposit, and wait. Good luck!
I probably should have mentioned that too, they won't even take a deposit until a car is on its way. They (the dealership) have to have a VIN to accept a deposit.

ziggy

First Name
ziggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Supply is an issue, and it seems even the 6 or so dealers near me have mostly White and Black in the various trims. Getting anything else is, for now, a matter of hunting. I sort of doubted the pandemic car supply issue at first, but I have been following the inventories of the 6 dealers near me and the 6 of them, in total, have received about 6 2022 Civics in the past 10 days. Their inventory of the 22's keeps dropping, for the past 3 weeks.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Tell the dealer specifically what you want. If they're any good, or interested in helping you, they can look for it for you and trade an equivalent auto they have with another willing dealer. That's how we got our Si in early '12. Do note that inventory is very low (how do you spell P-A-N-D-E-M-I-C) and the specific vehicle you want may not be available yet at a willing dealer.

Last edited:

OP
OP

em804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
Tell the dealer specifically what you want. If they're any good, or interested in helping you, they can look for it for you and trade an equivalent auto they have with another willing dealer. That's how we got our Si in early '12. Do note that inventory is very low (how do you spell P-A-N-D-I-M-I-C) and the specific vehicle you want may not be available yet at a willing dealer.
This is what I was hoping for; this is an ideal scenario "I want 22 ex in such and such color combo, here is a deposit, see what you can do." Some time later, I get a call letting me know there is a car I asked for on its way to the dealership.

Instead, every time they call me back, they say "we have a 22 lx in white on its way, should be here next week, want it?" The exact opposite of what I wanted.

arpypat

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan ABM
Keep in mind that these cars literally became available less than 1 month ago. It may take a little time to find the color combo you want, even if we werent in the midst of a global pandemic. It took me a while to find a new Aegean Blue Si sedan w/in 500 miles of me in 2019.

The repercussions of the supply chain being fu*ked in the a$$ in 2020 are taking effect in 2021.

OP
OP

em804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
Supply is an issue, and it seems even the 6 or so dealers near me have mostly White and Black in the various trims. Getting anything else is, for now, a matter of hunting. I sort of doubted the pandemic car supply issue at first, but I have been following the inventories of the 6 dealers near me and the 6 of them, in total, have received about 6 2022 Civics in the past 10 days. Their inventory of the 22's keeps dropping, for the past 3 weeks.
Supply is only an issue in the color combo I want. The dealerships near me are constantly getting LX trims in black or white. There are about a dozen Sport trims in black near me. There are another several EX trims in white. There are plenty of 22 Civics, just nothing but black and white. If you search for new Civics in bigger markets, say Miami or Chicago, there are plenty of them in every color and trim.

So if the supply is really an issue because of COVID, how can a dealership keep getting constant deliveries of white/black Civics but not one in any other color? I believe in COVID, I just can't quite figure out why there are none in other colors besides black or white outside of major markets.

I think my main complaint is that unless you live in one of the big markets, you're not getting anything but a white or black Civic for the foreseeable future. And Honda/Dealerships aren't doing anything to make it easier if you want a certain combo to get one.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
This is what I was hoping for; this is an ideal scenario ... Instead, every time they call me back, they say "we have a 22 lx in white on its way, should be here next week, want it?" The exact opposite of what I wanted.
Hopefully you didn't give them a significant deposit 'cause depending on the dealership and location you could be waiting a LONG time. If you're really anxious best look at other dealers and be willing to travel if they won't trade for what you want.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
That's allocation for you. Honda dealers don't order anything. Honda says they get this many vehicles per year in this many colors and that's it. Like was said, you're gonna have to travel or find a dealer that is willing to trade one of their vehicles for what you want at another dealer. Hell, I couldn't find an Aegean Sport hatch in manual anywhere locally back in 17 and the one dealer I had trying to find me one still hadn't gotten one in in 6 months. Every other dealer in any state near me was trying to charge a premium for Aegean.

19civicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Just snagged a Sport for my daughters 16th birthday present. I literally called or visited every dealership in a three hour radius and finally called and found one as they were taking it off the truck. No haggling price which is understandable due to the supply. We are thrilled with the car (2.0l) and no issues so far. Automatic CVT it’s not gonna throw you back in the seat but that is what we were wanting lol.

Attachments

Red

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Touring; 2020 KIA Sportage;
Just snagged a Sport for my daughters 16th birthday present. I literally called or visited every dealership in a three hour radius and finally called and found one as they were taking it off the truck. No haggling price which is understandable due to the supply. We are thrilled with the car (2.0l) and no issues so far. Automatic CVT it’s not gonna throw you back in the seat but that is what we were wanting lol.
Congrats on finding your daughters new Civic. She's a lucky girl. I see you're in Savannah. My wife is a Savannah native and we visit family there when we can. Good luck to you and enjoy!

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Could you check to see if the below screen is available in your Sport. This comes from the Touring Bose Audio setup but I know that Mazda has a similar setting like this and they are available across all trim, not just the top Bose Audio trim.

11th Gen Honda Civic Why is ordering/buying so difficult? Audio.JPG
Sponsored