• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Winter Tire setup

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 CW CTR
I really appreciate this forum and it's members - thank you for all of the knowledge sharing. Just got my Winter Set from Tire Rack and got em installed on the Type R today.

Winter Tire Setup - Clean.jpeg

Rims: Enkei Raijins 18 x 8 +42, 5 x 120
Tires: MICHELIN® Pilot® Alpin® 5 - 235/40/18
Looks great, and so easy. Order, comes in a day or so and slap them on!
Sponsored

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Nice, those PA5s are great. I thought there was no end to their dry grip.. until I got past the break-in mileage 😅 now I have to be careful not to shred them

spiff72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I'm late to the party, but I had a set of cheap Sport Tuning ST7 18x8 for my 2022 Golf R fitted with Blizzaks, and I just traded that car yesterday for a 23 CTR in Boost Blue. The bolt pattern for the Golf wheels didn't work, so I ordered a set of MSW Type 73 (18 x 8) and I am going to have the Blizzaks swapped from the Golf wheels to the MSWs.

I came home from work early today to intercept the wheels and run them over to a tire shop, but FedEx didn't drop them off until 4:30pm (supposed to have arrived around 1:00pm), so no way to get them installed until tomorrow. It's over 70 degrees in Michigan today (record highs for February), but we are supposed to get thunderstorms overnight folowed by a snow event chaser tomorrow. Ugh. Gonna have to make a beeline to the tire shop tomorrow morning to get them mounted - I may just have them install them on the car right there too (rather than taking them home to DIY it)!

I will share photos of the setup once I have them mounted!

spiff72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Got the tires swapped to the new wheels this morning (just in time). Stock summers are not ideal in the cold - fortunately the snow didn't start falling until I was at the shop.

I feel like these don't fill the wheel wells as much as I would like, but they're my winters - functionality takes priority over looks.

11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup CTR_winters

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
What center caps did you order? I'm about to swap out my emblems and want to get rid of the chrome on the center caps. I really like this look. Is the center cap matte black?
A bit embarrassed to admit, but that was one of the key reasons i got an extra set of 19" instead of going 18" -- so i could stick with my H logos and the OEM wheels -- which i really like. The primary reason, tho, was i wanted to keep the factory offset. I know you guys are doing fine with alternate offsets, but i couldn't find an alternate i liked that had a close enough offset. maybe in the future.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Got the tires swapped to the new wheels this morning (just in time). Stock summers are not ideal in the cold - fortunately the snow didn't start falling until I was at the shop.

I feel like these don't fill the wheel wells as much as I would like, but they're my winters - functionality takes priority over looks.

CTR_winters.jpeg

LOL - so glad for you that you were able to make the swap! yah - here in illinois, we had the same storm (plus tornadoes) in 72-degree weather... now, it's below freezing... but the snow they predicted for this morn never stuck.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Those of you who are just getting a car in winter and need tires immediately...or, those who may need to know this for next winter...

After much research and thought, i went with an all-season tire (Cont DWS 06+). My main rationale was that here, altho we do get major, deep snowfalls at least a couple of times in the winter, we mostly have more ice, slush, and puddles in winter since our roads are cleared fairly quickly. So, i was more concerned about inclement road conditions in general.
HOWEVER...
I am now so glad i got All-seasons. Turned out better than i had realized, since i hadn't taken into consideration how we can have high temps even in winter.... and this winter was so unusually warm, we have been in the 60s and 70s in December and February -- which made the all-seasons a far better choice than winter tires here. Hope that helps with your decisions.

spiff72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Those of you who are just getting a car in winter and need tires immediately...or, those who may need to know this for next winter...

After much research and thought, i went with an all-season tire (Cont DWS 06+). My main rationale was that here, altho we do get major, deep snowfalls at least a couple of times in the winter, we mostly have more ice, slush, and puddles in winter since our roads are cleared fairly quickly. So, i was more concerned about inclement road conditions in general.
HOWEVER...
I am now so glad i got All-seasons. Turned out better than i had realized, since i hadn't taken into consideration how we can have high temps even in winter.... and this winter was so unusually warm, we have been in the 60s and 70s in December and February -- which made the all-seasons a far better choice than winter tires here. Hope that helps with your decisions.
I'm curious how long the stock tires will last. The ones on my Golf R probably had one more summer left on them (bought that car in Feb 2022) when I traded it for the Type R. I generally run the winters from Nov-April, so they split time pretty evenly.

I've heard good things about those Continentals, and I think I actually put those on my 18 Accord a few years back with good success for all-season use. If the stock tires don't last at least two seasons, I may just replace them with all-seasons at that time (but still run the winters anyway - just maybe for a bit less time). I don't like running the summers in the colder fall months, and I don't like running the winters during times when the temp is reaching the 6os.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I'm curious how long the stock tires will last. The ones on my Golf R probably had one more summer left on them (bought that car in Feb 2022) when I traded it for the Type R. I generally run the winters from Nov-April, so they split time pretty evenly.

I've heard good things about those Continentals, and I think I actually put those on my 18 Accord a few years back with good success for all-season use. If the stock tires don't last at least two seasons, I may just replace them with all-seasons at that time (but still run the winters anyway - just maybe for a bit less time). I don't like running the summers in the colder fall months, and I don't like running the winters during times when the temp is reaching the 6os.

Well... it depends on how you drive. LOL If you track the car, you will be wearing the Pilots down rapidly. Also, how many miles do you put on them in a year, and how aggressively do you drive... and is most of your driving on local roads or highways, etc.? If you only are street driving, then the PS 4s have a 30k warrantee... while the contis have a 50k warrantee.

There is also the performance issue -- we all notice some difference in the feel of the tires. There is no question that you get a much greater feel of the road in the OEMs, and also there's the all-season Pilots -- which retain that performance feel much better. However, if you are looking to get a smoother and/or quieter ride, the Contis are excellent.

So, it depends on what you need for your personal use.

P.S. -- running summer tires in near-freezing and colder can actually damage/crack the tires, so for anyone living in a climate that gets below 40 degrees on a regular basis, you will need another set of tires -- be it all-season or winter.

Last edited:

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Talking about tire wear, this had me go take a look on Tire Rack to see what the options are for the OEM wheels. My guess is I won't need to be looking for a new summer tire set until spring 2027. But it's fun to look.

I see Bridgestone Potenza Sports on there for $153 per tire closeout. Even more surprising, it's a set of 4 tires! You usually don't see crazy prices on wheels and tires like than until they're down to fewer than 4. They are 2020 production though, so it would only make sense if you need them soon. Performance-wise they probably don't stack up to the 4S but for less than half the price it could be worth a try.

My update on my PA5 winter tires: they really perplex me how they can be so good in both dry and snow. The compound is hard like an all season, I have no concern driving them on the freak warmer days. But the couple times we've had real snow they did nothing but impress. 2 winters, ~6000 miles total so far on two different gnarly vehicles and the wear is within measurement error of new :dunno:

spiff72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Talking about tire wear, this had me go take a look on Tire Rack to see what the options are for the OEM wheels. My guess is I won't need to be looking for a new summer tire set until spring 2027. But it's fun to look.

I see Bridgestone Potenza Sports on there for $153 per tire closeout. Even more surprising, it's a set of 4 tires! You usually don't see crazy prices on wheels and tires like than until they're down to fewer than 4. They are 2020 production though, so it would only make sense if you need them soon. Performance-wise they probably don't stack up to the 4S but for less than half the price it could be worth a try.

My update on my PA5 winter tires: they really perplex me how they can be so good in both dry and snow. The compound is hard like an all season, I have no concern driving them on the freak warmer days. But the couple times we've had real snow they did nothing but impress. 2 winters, ~6000 miles total so far on two different gnarly vehicles and the wear is within measurement error of new :dunno:
LOL - I was browsing there last night myself to see what the OEM summer tires cost and saw that same deal. I’m only 200 miles into my PS4s so nowhere close to needing replacements yet. $600 for a set of performance tires in this size is pretty good - even if they aren’t that great! The OEM PS4s would be closer to $1300 if I recall correctly!

MidlifeCTR

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Championship White Civic Type R
I'm liking mine. Seems to handle pretty good. May not be as smooth at higher speeds as the PS4S but I'm not in the triples very often. I went for the 275s for the extra load rating.
I ended up going with Continental DWS 06 Plus in 265/30/19. Will be mounted to factory Integra Type S wheels on my FL5.

I will report back with how I feel about them for mostly rainy conditions and cold temps. No plans of driving in the snow.

MidlifeCTR

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Championship White Civic Type R
I ended up going with Continental DWS 06 Plus in 265/30/19. Will be mounted to factory Integra Type S wheels on my FL5.

I will report back with how I feel about them for mostly rainy conditions and cold temps. No plans of driving in the snow.
I went with the stock size of the Continental dws 06 on the stock rims. I will swap back to the Michelin Pilot 4s in April or May.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Not sure if anyone posted this previously...

Tire Rack tested to see how different width tires tested on the rims. For anyone considering a different size tire/rim combo, this is excellent info...

------------------------------
TIRE RACK TESTS OF TIRE SIZES
------------------------------
Published report:
Summary
So what did we learn? The key takeaways are that in the dry, a wider tire does not automatically mean faster lap times. Using a wheel width that properly supports the tire will provide faster laps than a wider tire with very little wheel support.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=296

Video:
The title of this is, "In Search of the Fastest Tire and Wheel Width Combination"
However, it's much more than about speed...the critical difference is handling on corners, plus handling in various road conditions.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=296
Sponsored