• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Winter Tire setup

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R (Championship White)
My brother is a pretty high level tire engineer at Bridgestone (not at Michelin) and told me to check here regarding the following: is the glass transition temperature for the stock summer Michelin PS4’s too close to the winter ambient such that driving, even in cold weather (without snow) could be a major concern?
Sponsored

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Swapped from oem wheel/tire set to my winter setup yesterday - Continental VikingContact 7 (245/40R18) mounted on Voxx Lago 18x8 wheels.

I don't know if it's in my head, but immediately jumping in the car and driving, it feels like the steering wheel is 'easier' to turn and may require more revolutions to turn the actual wheels. Anyone else feel this or am I going bonkers?

BTW, the Conti's are great - awesome grip and quiet.
I switched to 18x8 with my winter setup and went with vredestien wintrac pro. The steering feels different than what I remember. I only drove the car with the ps4s for a short time, but I remember it feeling tighter. Now it seems more floaty or loose especially at higher speeds. The lane keep Assist doesn't seem to work as well either.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
My brother is a pretty high level tire engineer at Bridgestone (not at Michelin) and told me to check here regarding the following: is the glass transition temperature for the stock summer Michelin PS4’s too close to the winter ambient such that driving, even in cold weather (without snow) could be a major concern?
Yes. They say to not drive in freezing temps or even have the car sitting on them in 20 degree temps. It can lead to cracking and damage the tire.

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. They say to not drive in freezing temps or even have the car sitting on them in 20 degree temps. It can lead to cracking and damage the tire.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to set it up on the QuickJacks I have in the barn... likely should do the trick, but tie up my quickjacks too... ;(

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Here's my cold weather setup. Courtesy of @Unity Performance.
Superspeed Wheels RF03RR 9.5 +45mm
PILOT® SPORT ALL SEASON 4 265/35/18
Stock suspension and springs.
PXL_20231124_181812291.MP.jpg
Just seeing this, thank you for sharing brother! Ughh Red + the CF wing tugs at the heartstrings 😍

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to set it up on the QuickJacks I have in the barn... likely should do the trick, but tie up my quickjacks too... ;(
I wouldn’t unload the suspension for an extended period of time. It’s hard to find a consensus about this ; Some will say they’ve hung their suspension all winter with no problems, while others say the suspension can get messed up. Either way, it’s enough of a concern that it’s probably best to avoid the potential consequences. I recommend over-inflating your tires a bit (40 psi or thereabouts is probably good), then drive the car onto tire saver ramps, like these : https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/803...HlucmwInWTlq7DoUjSXJ_zgPUQRWSRUxoC1-gQAvD_BwE

For more insulation from the concrete floor you can put rubber mats down or maybe some plywood sheets (under the ramps) if needed.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was super concerned when I got my car in late winter and was monitoring the ambient in my garage near the tires. When it was 20 degrees F outside at night the inside of the garage only go to about 35 F. Most homes have a furnace and some insulation so they don't get as cold as outside.

If parked outside over the winter I would be more worried about damaging the tires.

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So... since putting this up on quickjacks all winter "may" ruin the suspension, its sounding like i should just get some winter tires and cheap wheels to go with them. Is there a consensus on the setup?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So... since putting this up on quickjacks all winter "may" ruin the suspension, its sounding like i should just get some winter tires and cheap wheels to go with them. Is there a consensus on the setup?
I see a lot of people going narrower or 9/9.5 +45 which you absolutely don't want unless you want all your panels sandblasted.

I'm really happy with my Integra Type S wheels with Continental DWS 06+. Don't plan on driving in snow but they are awesome in the rain and cold temps.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 CW CTR
Tirerack always helps with stuff like this, tire and wheel sizing is there.

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rehashing an older comment above, I’ve had the CTR on the ground with temps down to 20F. I’m going to move it into the house garage in a few days.

I drive on these tires at 100+ mile an hour on the track… Is it OK to risk them for next season, or did I potentially ruin them without knowing?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rehashing an older comment above, I’ve had the CTR on the ground with temps down to 20F. I’m going to move it into the house garage in a few days.

I drive on these tires at 100+ mile an hour on the track… Is it OK to risk them for next season, or did I potentially ruin them without knowing?
I think it depends on how much exposure and how many times you drove the car in these conditions. You may want to have a reputable tire shop inspect each tire for any cracking before tracking it again. If they give you the go ahead I personally would feel pretty confident pushing the tires on the track.

This is the warning for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S from Tire Rack which might only be posted for liability reasons...

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle. Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 21 Porsche Cayman GT4, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Stock Type S wheels and tires.
I might change tires to a 255/35 A/S I still haven’t decided what to do.

I also made some vents out of stainless from some old snowmobile vents I had. I may paint them black but should do the job for the time being.

11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup IMG_3568

11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup IMG_3572

11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup IMG_3560

11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup IMG_3559

Last edited:

ransack87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R, B8.5 S4, Ducati Diavel 1260S
I really appreciate this forum and it's members - thank you for all of the knowledge sharing. Just got my Winter Set from Tire Rack and got em installed on the Type R today.

11th Gen Honda Civic Winter Tire setup Winter Tire Setup - Clean

Rims: Enkei Raijins 18 x 8 +42, 5 x 120
Tires: MICHELIN® Pilot® Alpin® 5 - 235/40/18
Sponsored