• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

YOKOHAMA ADVAN APEX V601 OR...

mparra11

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Looking for a good sticky set of tires for 265/35/18. Any suggestions? Anyone using these?
Sponsored

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Haven’t seen anyone running these at the track. Are you looking for track tires or just for spirited driving? Majority at the track run Potenza RE-71RS or its predecessor. The Dunlop direzza z3 is also pretty good. As the tread wears with most of these sticky tires, the wet traction gets worse.

OP
OP

mparra11

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Light Track mainly Spirited driving but want some thing stick

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I like falken rt615 for the price, side wall more block, stiff sidewall, generally run wide for it size, and tread pattern type. I ran v601 before and found it wore quicker then expected. It not great in the rain though though

OP
OP

mparra11

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
I like falken rt615 for the price and tread pattern type. I ran v601 before and found it wore quicker then expected.
Do you like the 615 better? How was the grip on the v601

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I don’t have exact comparison because how it feel is very subjective. I remember I like the tire new but it wore so fast for 280 treadwear. I did find that Advan got super slippery when the tire wore down and when it got wet I had to be careful since the car I was using was turbo and torque comes on early. Also second track day my time drop off. I found falken to be consistent even for driving for daily and still degraded over time but not as dramatic.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm running V601s as my daily and I think it's the best bang for buck at this tire size.

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CW Type R
For the street the factory PS4S is considered the bar by which everyone else measures. Not sure why any of us would want something that doesn't perform quite as well as the PS4S. Track is obviously different but for street is the gold standard.
I exclusively ran them on my last few Porsches, its an amazing street tire if the temps are above 60 outside.

OP
OP

mparra11

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
For the street the factory PS4S is considered the bar by which everyone else measures. Not sure why any of us would want something that doesn't perform quite as well as the PS4S. Track is obviously different but for street is the gold standard.
I exclusively ran them on my last few Porsches, its an amazing street tire if the temps are above 60 outside.
Where would you rank Proxes R1R?

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CW Type R
Good tire, nothing remarkable, but again, its not something I would daily on a street car. I'd use it for an autocross set or track day maybe but on the street it can't beat the PS4S as an all around

Gaiakai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e46 M3
V601 are a good daily/street/canyon tire, they are closer to the PS4S than they are to A052/RT660 type of tire. How sticky do you want them and how daily-able do they need to be?

V730s would be stickier but are closer to a track tire than a street tire.

RS4 would be a good sticky tire that lasts a long time. Still closer to a track tire, but a pretty good middle ground if you're looking for something stickier than PS4S but also won't be useless after a few thousand miles (I daily'd RT660 and barely got 7k miles from them).

If you're willing to explore lesser-known brands, GT Radial SX2 are a more street-able RS4 type of tire. More grip than the V601 but will also last as long if not longer than the RS4. They're also a very good, communicative, consistent learning tire if you decide to track on them, not to mention more cost-effective.

Personally my use case is 90% daily 8% canyons and 2% track so I went with V601 because the SX2s were out of stock at the time.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
No question the PS4S is amazing and if you wanna drop the money, they are the best choice to daily. IMO the V601 gets you 90% of the PS4S performance for around $300 less for a set, so it's viable if you want to save a little cash. Otherwise, absolutely go with the PS4S.

OP
OP

mparra11

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
No question the PS4S is amazing and if you wanna drop the money, they are the best choice to daily. IMO the V601 gets you 90% of the PS4S performance for around $300 less for a set, so it's viable if you want to save a little cash. Otherwise, absolutely go with the PS4S.
PS4 or toyo R1R
Sponsored