• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What do you guys predict the 11th gen Si will be like?

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
if the 11th gen doesn’t have a significant boost in power (30-50HP) it will be left behind by the remaining competitors. The GLI is already markedly quicker, the mk8 GTI will surely have a bump in power, the Veloster N starts with 250HP, etc.

Drop the 2.0t with the specs from the accord sport and I’d be satisfied. This would bring it back in line power wise with the major players in the segment. And would still leave room for a future Type R bumped up to 320-330HP.
Honda didn't choose the 1.5T so they could switch to 2.0T in one gen. A major factor in Si design seems to be low MSRP and great MPG, so it'll be a slightly improved 1.5T for sure.

Everyone seems to think a hatch is coming? I'd be all over that. Wanted a GTI til they started buying back 2019 6MTs over the stalling issue (GLIs too).
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2022 Civic Touring Sedan
Honda didn't choose the 1.5T so they could switch to 2.0T in one gen. A major factor in Si design seems to be low MSRP and great MPG, so it'll be a slightly improved 1.5T for sure.
They could always opt for the K20C4 from the Accord and change the power profile down a little. That way it isn't the CTR engine. They are definitely making more C4 engines than C1 so it should keep the price down some. That would make for one hell of a rocket after tuning it back up! It would DEF need a better clutch from what all you owners say after tuning up the 1.5T past a certain point.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
Not to get overly political but...

I think it’s going to depend a lot if Trump rolls back CAFE... and that is going to be based on him getting a 2nd term. If he doesn’t, you’re going to see the cost of Civic and the others in it’s completion swell by $1000-1500 due to penalties at their current economy ratings... if CAFE holds on track for 54.5 mpgs, I think we’ll see a light hybrid... like a eAssist. I haven’t heard much in the way of compression ignition or variable compression, though I did read Honda had worked on the compression ignition years ago.

If there’s no CAFE in the way, I see the L15B7 soldiering on honestly. I don’t see them going with a K20C4 ever... though that’d be awesome. With the Accord tune you’d get power 1/2 way between the current Si and the CTR... it’d take regular octane w/o complaint and not really be that down on MPGs from the lower gear ratio version of the 10.5 Sis. I try and keep up with the news and I just don’t hear anything on the horizon but I’d love to be proven wrong.

I’m 99% sure we’re not going to see more than a 1.5 in a L. It’s been around nearly 20 years and between the different versions that have existed... from the Fit to CRZ and overseas models, 1.5 has been it. I do think we could see a TD03 with a small (like 10-20 hp) bump. I would think a DCT would be a good move to open it up to non-manual drivers and I think there’s be a fair improvement in straight line performance. The TD03 thought just comes from the Honda releases of that being the turbo despite as all getting TD025s.

Things I’d like?
I’d like to see vented seats as a standard option. I’d like to see adjustable suspension dropped. I’d like the car to get NO BIGGER. The Fit seems to be more of a Civic than a Civic anymore, and the Civic itself is getting Accord-esk. It doesn’t help they’re on the same platform. Honda will have refreshed (drastically) the K and L engines for 20 years by the time gen 11 comes out and I like the idea of something new. Ds, B, and Hs have given way for what we have now. The J has got to have its days numbered too I think. I’d like to see Honda swing for the fences with some new, powerful and more efficient engine design. I’d also like to see an engine more eager to rev. Finally... I’d like them to clean up the Civics aesthetics. I still think the rear end of a 9th gen looks better than our cars. I don’t think they’re going to age well from that angle once they’re not the current model.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch 6AT
Not to get overly political but...

I think it’s going to depend a lot if Trump rolls back CAFE... and that is going to be based on him getting a 2nd term. If he doesn’t, you’re going to see the cost of Civic and the others in it’s completion swell by $1000-1500 due to penalties at their current economy ratings... if CAFE holds on track for 54.5 mpgs, I think we’ll see a light hybrid... like a eAssist. I haven’t heard much in the way of compression ignition or variable compression, though I did read Honda had worked on the compression ignition years ago.

If there’s no CAFE in the way, I see the L15B7 soldiering on honestly. I don’t see them going with a K20C4 ever... though that’d be awesome. With the Accord tune you’d get power 1/2 way between the current Si and the CTR... it’d take regular octane w/o complaint and not really be that down on MPGs from the lower gear ratio version of the 10.5 Sis. I try and keep up with the news and I just don’t hear anything on the horizon but I’d love to be proven wrong.
I think that Honda itself is pushing towards cleaner vehicles, regardless of what the EPA does. They are one of the 4 automakers who signed that pact with CARB after all to reduce emissions and make more fuel efficient cars / electric vehicles.

That said, I think the K20C4 is a good and healthy amount of power for an Si.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it’s going to depend a lot if Trump rolls back CAFE...
Very true and as most don't necessarily know, what happens with CAFE, affects Canadians every time.

I don’t see them going with a K20C4 ever... though that’d be awesome.
A boy can dream :)

I’d like the car to get NO BIGGER. The Fit seems to be more of a Civic than a Civic anymore, and the Civic itself is getting Accord-esk. It doesn’t help they’re on the same platform.
Ya, I really like the size of the car but it is not a Civic. It is basically a short body Accord. Not that I am complaining but I certainly see your point. There has been size creep in every single "size" category for over 20 years now. People need to calm down in the design studios and accept that once you go too far, you are not servicing the category you think you are.

I’d like them to clean up the Civics aesthetics. I still think the rear end of a 9th gen looks better than our cars. I don’t think they’re going to age well from that angle once they’re not the current model.
Ehhh... We can agree to disagree on this. I am no superfan of the lobster claws but even after the refresh on the Gen9, no. Just never liked them. The best looking Gen9 is the refreshed coupe but not sure if that could ever translate to the other side of the design shift in the GenX. I think the GenX will look very good for a long time. It will NOT be a Gen8 in that respect (Sorry Gen8ers, your cars are FUGLY).

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that Honda itself is pushing towards cleaner vehicles, regardless of what the EPA does. They are one of the 4 automakers who signed that pact with CARB after all to reduce emissions and make more fuel efficient cars / electric vehicles.
Also, let us all remember the birth of the Civic... CVCC The engine with no catalytic converter that Detroit said could never be made. Honda has always been a responsible company when it comes to the environment.

The pioneering of a 4 stroke that could replace 2 strokes is another achievement of theirs.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch 6AT
Ya, I really like the size of the car but it is not a Civic. It is basically a short body Accord. Not that I am complaining but I certainly see your point. There has been size creep in every single "size" category for over 20 years now. People need to calm down in the design studios and accept that once you go too far, you are not servicing the category you think you are.
Sub-compact is the new compact, compact is the new mid-sized, and mid-sized is the new full-sized. Which means full-sized is... super-sized? :dunno:

jeanscuffed

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
If the Mk8 GTI goes up to 250HP like some rumors say, I'd hope they at least bump the 11th gen Si to 225HP.

Given that the Mk8 GTI comes out within a year (MY2020), and the 5-6 model year Civic generation lifecycle means 11th gen Civic should come out for model year 2021 or 2022, and thus 11th gen Si should come out somewhere from model year 2021 to 2023. Honda should have plenty of time to competitively benchmark before releasing the Si.

I'm fine with them staying moderately (20-30hp) below the GTI power numbers as long as the curb weight continues to be 100+ lbs lighter and the handling continues to be better/more satisfying.
Yea I'm not mad at being that far behind in power either. It should be pretty beefy by then...and as far as styling goes I actually believe it'll get better for some reason. I guess intuition but let me bite my tongue

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
They could always opt for the K20C4 from the Accord and change the power profile down a little. That way it isn't the CTR engine. They are definitely making more C4 engines than C1 so it should keep the price down some. That would make for one hell of a rocket after tuning it back up! It would DEF need a better clutch from what all you owners say after tuning up the 1.5T past a certain point.
This appeals to tuners but don't think it appeals to Honda - 1.5T is cheaper, lighter, better mpg. The same decision making that put the 1.5T in the 10th gen will put it in 11th gen. The Si has been a hot seller, so there's no incentive to go to the 2.0T.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Si has been a hot seller, so there's no incentive to go to the 2.0T.
Except for the reasons mentioned regarding segment competitors starting to have more power... Maybe they just tune up the 1.5T but they really can't afford to sit on their hands. The Golf GTi is not a competitor to the Type R so I can't see Honda not responding in some way.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
The Si has been a hot seller, so there's no incentive to go to the 2.0T.
Not picking on you specifically, but I've seen this sentiment echoed repeatedly across the forum. Is this accepted fact? Is the Si truly selling well? I always thought the Si was kind of an afterthought from Honda's perspective. I figured the fact that they've continued making it is just sort of a tribute to enthusiasts. I didn't think it was actually a moneymaker, not did I think it contributed a significant portion of overall Civic sales numbers. But if I'm wrong, and Honda is seeing an unexpected/inordinate adoption of this trim level, then maybe the 11th gen will offer a lot more than I expected.

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
I'd expect a small boost in power. No more coupe. New Si hatch. Manual and dual clutch transmission options. Less fake vents. ;)
Exactly what I was thinking. Also the hatchback is popular here in California. I think an SI hatchback would sell well.

Also sure a dual clutch will be Honda's automatic option for the 11th Generation SI:)