• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
I consider my ‘19 Type R an nstsnt classic now after seeing next-Gen plans. They are the same body with diff proportion grill openings and a recycled bees ass from the Stinger.

For those five A to B appliance owners, the Gen X Type R can go A to H, then lap you twice (AHhh) before you make it to B.

B23C0755-1966-4E54-AA3D-E8E9C5F6D724.jpeg
The red/black murder scheme of the type-r is probably my favorite of them all. Although I'm a heavy boy on metallic steel. I'm also semi scared of what the next gen R may look like, they're beautiful.
Sponsored

Phillyp17

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
I looks like they are making the Accord Hatchback and the Accord Type R now.

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
Or the modern day station wagon of the 80s and 90s. I mean what is this?!

11th Gen Honda Civic Exclusive: 11th Gen 2022 Civic (Hatchback) Fully Revealed in Official Honda Patent Images 11thModernStationWago

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Clearly, they're going for a Saab had sex with a Crosstour vibe. ;)
So this Saab imitation, Accord, Crosseyed-touring version shoulld be called the (wait for it):

..... SAABATOUR!

As long as any version Accord with an R in it has same 2L turbo engine, same or few more ponies, it’ll weigh hundreds more and be slower than a CTR. That holds true until the A-TSX S Spec (subtle but sells more with sexy name) is released with a V-6 turbo next Spring., can’t wait.

Varelaar

First Name
Mace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback (Sport)
Its growing on me... I would have to see it in person before I really make a decision.

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
That's not how percentages work. Whether it's 900 coupes out of 15,000 total Civics sold, or 9 out of 150 - it's still 6%. So, yes - the sample size may be smaller, but we can certainly count 2020. Even if we don't, there's a clear downward trend in coupe sales from 2016 - 2019.

Look, I completely agree with your overall sentiment. I sincerely appreciate and share your enthusiasm; I want to see more coupes on the road, and more 6MT options in general. So do a lot of other civicx-ers (err, I guess civicxi-ers). The thing is, we're enthusiasts here, and we represent only a very tiny proportion of the overall car-buying public. You're grossly overestimating the demand for coupes & manual transmissions. The average American doesn't want a 2-door, nor do they want to shift their own gears. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is what it is.

No. That is a spectacular leap in logic. Correlation does not equal causation. New car sales fluctuate for a variety of reasons, but manual transmission availability is decidedly not one of them. There simply aren't enough potential buyers to move the needle on anything but a very small scale.

Keep in mind that this isn't just Honda. It's an industry-wide trend. In 2011, 37% of new car models were available with a manual transmission. In 2020, that figure dropped to 13%. If the market was there, automakers wouldn't be cutting 6MT models. Lots of other manufacturers are axing their 6MT options for US-bound cars, even on enthusiast models (C8, M5, GT-R, R8, etcetera). The millions of dollars these companies spend on market research suggests they have at least an inkling as to which models/trims/options will sell best.

This is because - as you've previously noted - people just aren't buying as many new cars these days. It's not because they can't find the right 6MT vehicle on the market.

This is really the crux of the matter: the car companies aren't going to invest money building cars that you or I might want. They'll market to the masses and build the stuff that everyone else wants. I'll stick with my Si and you can restore that 1990 MR2, but the average American joe will be perfectly satisfied with his vanilla automatic Camry/Accord/Corolla/F150/CR-V. Sad but true.
I understand your point on the 6%, & it is valid to a point, but the low percentage is more due to the COVID-19 shutdown & people only buying "neccessary" new vehicles. People that buy 2-Door cars, Sports Cars, etc. weren't out buying during this time.

If you bought one, you could not drive it due to the lockdown. There was no place to go.
Even the people that bought "neccessary" new vehicles had very limited places to drive them with the Stay-at-Home orders & most everything else closed, except for Grocery Stores, Pharmacies, etc.

With the exception of 2003 & 2009-2011 Great Recession, Honda Civic sales in the US has been over 300,000 every single year since 1997.

At just 6% & an even 300,000, that is still 18,000 2-Door Civics (in the US alone).
At just 10% & an even 300,000, that is still 30,000 2-Door Civics (in the US alone).

These are enough to make-or-break Honda's 300,000/Year US Civic total sales.

Excluding the below-300,000 years, the loss of the 10% 2-Door Civic sales would have put Honda Civic sales below the 300,000 mark in 11 more years.

That would come to being below 300,000 for 14 of the 23 years of sales.

Honda Civic Sales in US
2019 -- 325.650
2018 -- 325.760
2017 -- 377.286
2016 -- 366.927
2015 -- 335.384
2014 -- 325.981
2013 -- 336.180
2012 -- 317.909
2011 -- 221.235
2010 -- 260.218
2009 -- 259.722
2008 -- 339.289
2007 -- 331.095
2006 -- 316.638
2005 -- 308.415
2004 -- 309.196
2003 -- 299.672
2002 -- 313.159
2001 -- 331.780
2000 -- 324.528
1999 -- 318.308
1998 -- 334.562
1997 -- 315.546

Car companies are no-stranger to making bad decisions.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
I can see we're going to have to agree to disagree here, and this line of discussion is going way off-topic. But I'll leave you with a couple of thoughts.

New car sales don't have a virtual flatline for 19-20 years in a row when the population is increasing by 15+%.
Despite the slowing growth in new car sales, the total number of vehicles in use tracks with population growth - over the past 20 years, right around that 15% mark you quoted. The explanation is simple: people are holding on to their cars longer than ever. The average age of vehicles in use increases every year; in 2019, that average was 11.8 years, up from 9.6 in 2002. I can think of a couple of possible explanations for this phenomenon which have absolutely nothing to do with transmission choice. Perhaps cars produced in 2015 were simply better built/more reliable/longer-lasting than those of 2000. Maybe the rising average price of new vehicles convinced owners to stick with their old cars a little longer. Perhaps a little from column A, a little from column B.

There is a reason for this & the only thing that has changed any significant amount is the lack of Manual Transmissions.
I mean, lots of things have changed over 20 years. To focus on one minor change, and assert that it's the sole reason for flatlining car sales, is to ignore many other much more logical possibilities.

Ultimately, the entire argument is moot, because it's an established trend that's destined to continue. As battery tech improves both in capacity and price, and EVs in turn become more efficient and affordable, the percentage of 6MT cars will only continue to drop. I think we're only a decade away (if that) from a future where most new cars sold are electric (partially, if not fully) - and none* of those will be manuals. I hate it, but I understand it.

And they can pry the knob from my cold dead hand.

* this is way off-topic, but, to be accurate: we will actually see a few manual transmission EVs. Not in any way the type of gearbox we're all familiar with, but interesting nonetheless. Here's an article on the subject

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
In fact I would have a Type R if it were toned down.
Same here! Happy to see hatchback versions continue in Gen XI and time will tell about the cosmetic aspects. I just love the versatility of a hatch. In fact, today I easily brought home some 8 foot lumber from the big box store. More pieces than I could haul in my old Acura TL sedan with its pass-through -- although that was an excellent feature as well.

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
I can see we're going to have to agree to disagree here, and this line of discussion is going way off-topic. But I'll leave you with a couple of thoughts.

Despite the slowing growth in new car sales, the total number of vehicles in use tracks with population growth - over the past 20 years, right around that 15% mark you quoted. The explanation is simple: people are holding on to their cars longer than ever. The average age of vehicles in use increases every year; in 2019, that average was 11.8 years, up from 9.6 in 2002. I can think of a couple of possible explanations for this phenomenon which have absolutely nothing to do with transmission choice. Perhaps cars produced in 2015 were simply better built/more reliable/longer-lasting than those of 2000. Maybe the rising average price of new vehicles convinced owners to stick with their old cars a little longer. Perhaps a little from column A, a little from column B.

I mean, lots of things have changed over 20 years. To focus on one minor change, and assert that it's the sole reason for flatlining car sales, is to ignore many other much more logical possibilities.

Ultimately, the entire argument is moot, because it's an established trend that's destined to continue. As battery tech improves both in capacity and price, and EVs in turn become more efficient and affordable, the percentage of 6MT cars will only continue to drop. I think we're only a decade away (if that) from a future where most new cars sold are electric (partially, if not fully) - and none* of those will be manuals. I hate it, but I understand it.

And they can pry the knob from my cold dead hand.

* this is way off-topic, but, to be accurate: we will actually see a few manual transmission EVs. Not in any way the type of gearbox we're all familiar with, but interesting nonetheless. Here's an article on the subject
EVs are the only thing that get the Headlines. No one ever talks about the huge advances in Gasoline technologies that are bigger advances than what is made in the EV sector.

Liquid fuels like Gasoline & Diesel have a vastly higher Energy-Density than all other forms.

We are able to make synthetic (Fossil-Free) Gasoline & Diesel, which alone is vastly cleaner, & are called "Drop-In" fuels because they do not require any modifications.

New Gasoline engine technologies are able to extract more efficiency & power from the same gallon.
Similar to the LED lights vs the Incandescent lights. Same power/fuel input but vastly more efficient.

There are so many people working on Bio-Fuels like Fossil-Free Gasoline, Renewable Diesel, & engine technologies for these......independent people to scientists to Universities to Private companies to Public companies, etc.

If EV is the only future in the next 5-10 years, why are so many people working on Bio-Fuel Gasoline & Diesel, & engine technologies?
There is even a Next Generation Scientists for Biodiesel!
Current College Science Students are getting degrees in these Future fields.

BioDiesel.org is giving Scholarships for these degrees. To get these Scholarships, one of the things you have to do is sign up for the latest "biodiesel-related research" which you can do here: https://kce.informz.net/KCE/pages/ngsb_sign_up.

This is not just occurring in the US. It's occurring all over the world.

People would not be wasting so much Time, Money, & Effort on something being obsolete in a decade or less.

There is more going on behind the scenes than just the headlines.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
The most striking feature of these patent pictures in comparison to the X is the ever so tight gaps between the panels. They are at a luxury car level! Odd no one mentioned this. They must be getting all new more precise robots to assemble this. People who particularly appreciate narrow openings will be orgasmic. But otherwise, particularly the front looks bland and unsexy to me.

I hope it will look better in person.

I'm OK with "mature", but "mature civic"? That's called an Accord.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
EVs are the only thing that get the Headlines. No one ever talks about the huge advances in Gasoline technologies that are bigger advances than what is made in the EV sector.
Interesting, I'm honestly unfamiliar with this research. However, most automakers have already committed to EVs...even Honda is shooting for an all-electric lineup by 2025. Currently, that's the direction in which the entire industry is moving. But maybe these fossil-free biofuels are in our future as well. I'll look into it, thanks for the link/info.