• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I can't speak for Genesis but I've been in enough modern Accords and Camry ubers to know they're not peach either. If you want the best interior builds, you buy a German. They over engineer all gears and switches.
The JDM cars play to their strengths. The reason Honda/Toyota are so reliable and well made is because they refine their parts and materials over decades. As in, they use the same shit for 20 years + before they upgrade and change things (JDM cars are the LAST to innovate, they don't have to pay early adoptor tax). It may not FEEL the best, or LOOK the best. But for longer term use cases they will outlive a dinosaur.

The koreans and europoens like to be on the bleeding edge of tech and innovation. But if you do it cheaply (MSRP), you get the low quality execution and sacrifice long term realiblity (KDM). If you pay fo the good stuff and engineer it properly (ish) you get EDM.

The Koreans can offer all the new toys at a cheap price, because of what I stated above, the buyer pays for it somehow. There is no magic reason why the Koreans can offer so much for so little vs. the JDM/EDM offerings.

Statistically, I think the koreans update, revise and offer new models the quickest. This is what leads to QC/QA issues. By the time they figure out the issue and can solve for it, they move onto the next thing already to stay relevant and hip. Its not that they are shit at building cars, "haste makes waste".
Sponsored

Last edited:

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
The JDM cars play to their strengths. The reason Honda/Toyota are so reliable and well made is because they refine their parts and materials over decades. As in, they use the same shit for 20 years + before they upgrade and change things (JDM cars are the LAST to innovate, they don't have to pay early adoptor tax). It may not FEEL the best, or LOOK the best. But for longer term use cases they will outlive a dinosaur.

The koreans and europoens like to be on the bleeding edge of tech and innovation. But if you do it cheaply (MSRP), you get the low quality execution and sacrifice long term realiblity (KDM). If you pay fo the good stuff and engineer it properly (ish) you get EDM.

The Koreans can offer all the new toys at a cheap price, because of what I stated above, the buyer pays for it somehow. There is no magic reason why the Koreans can offer so much for so little vs. the JDM/EDM offerings.

Statistically, I think the koreans update, revise and offer new models the quickest. This is what leads to QC/QA issues. By the time they figure out the issue and can solve for it, they move onto the next thing already to stay relevant and hip. Its not that they are shit at building cars, "haste makes waste".
All my Samsung TVs and appliances are trash, yet anything I have manufactured by Sony is still going strong. Don't be fooled into thinking Korean bulit products are somehow on the same level as anything manufactured in Japan, because they are NOT.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
All my Samsung TVs and appliances are trash, yet anything I have manufactured by Sony is still going strong. Don't be fooled into thinking Korean bulit products are somehow on the same level as anything manufactured in Japan, because they are NOT.
Honestly, I've never actually had any issues with TV and appliances made by the Koreans. Maybe I'm just lucky. But I tend to only buy thr better reviewed SKU's not sure if that makes any difference.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
odd cause i had two ps3's that yellow lighted. All that stuff about Japanese being more reliable out the door, everyone else has caught up. Besides as more tech goes in to cars, it doesn't matter Honda or Merc, there will be issues in the long run. Only Toyotas that are truely reliable are 4runners that hasn't' been updated in over a couple decade.

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
LOL

y4ngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR
FL5 is my last attempt at ICE / manual. If I don't get the color I want at the price I'm comfortable with before spring 2023, I'm just going to order a Model 3 Performance.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
isn't the Civic SI, just a Civic? I mean the "Corolla" is a rally bred and inspired + built for WRC, how many cars can really say they have that linage nowadays? Living in a world where a Hyundai is ranked higher than EURO/JDM, never thought I would ever see the day TBH.

Personally, I would never be able to own a KDM car. Just cant do it lol. I don't like things that fall apart before my next birthday.
I’m pretty sure this is the 2nd time he said this… as you’ve said, the Corolla name has had as much racing pedigree if not more than the Civic, and the Civic has an equally quirky name…

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Have you driven one?
I have been in a 3 Performance and have taken a ride in a Plaid. I’m just one of those rare people that isn’t caught up in the hype of having a cellphone with wheels. More power to anyone that enjoys them though. I don’t care if it had 12,000hp and accelerated faster than a top fuel dragster, I feel nothing when driving one. It’s just a device designed to move people from one place to another, that happens to have a lot of power.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Have you driven one?
He just hates on anything unless he brings it up first. He feels nothing? something tells me he needs some enhancement pills for the problem...

Model 3 performance would be a late stage car, the speed and convenience can't be beat especially when you get older and crime keeps skyrocketing.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I have been in a 3 Performance and have taken a ride in a Plaid. I’m just one of those rare people that isn’t caught up in the hype of having a cellphone with wheels. More power to anyone that enjoys them though. I don’t care if it had 12,000hp and accelerated faster than a top fuel dragster, I feel nothing when driving one. It’s just a device designed to move people from one place to another, that happens to have a lot of power.
"I’m just one of those rare people that isn’t caught up in the hype of having a cellphone with wheels." LMAO!!! This actually made me giggle.

To your point, I think there is a time for the 3 perf, but its not yet that time yet (for me at least). The dynamics, weight and corning is still a few generations behind. Dont get my started on the fit, finish and materials an design.... That is another part that is a few generations behind.

There is 0 doubt in the 3 perf's straight line chops, hell in some cases it will do turns quite well. But I don't think you can compare the strengths of the 3 perf without discussing its obvious flaws. I seriously considered getting into a 3 perf also funny enough, but decided against it for various reasons mentioned above and below.

Lastly, IMO the current gen batteries in EVs are RIGHT at the edge of becoming irrelevant. The new crop of batteries will be lighter, more efficient, more powerful and more reliable (in cold weather). I'm def holding out on the new gen of EV's, the current gen is just about to make its exits. We are at the sunset of ICE powerplants, it wont get any better than what they are now, which is why I will die fighting trying to land one of the last great ICE cars, and holding on for dear life.

EV's time will come sooner than later, but its not ready yet.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I can't speak for Genesis but I've been in enough modern Accords and Camry ubers to know they're not peach either. If you want the best interior builds, you buy a German. They over engineer all gears and switches.
I suppose we are all entitled to our own opinion...

Camry nor the Passat is on the quality of the Accord. I'm not really sure it is even close either. I would say the same for any other items in the class. I would also consider Mazda having a nice interior quality that is better than its competing German make.

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Anyone have any experience with the 2013-14 Audi TTRS?
I had a TTRS 2010 that I modded for track driving. Had stiffer rear sways, upgraded Haldex controller, larger rear brakes, Brakes Collings, öhlins R&T coilovers (my car was the test car when öhlins modded the rs3 coils to fit TTRS). It has about 400hp and was really fast. I ran cup2’s and it was faster on track compared to my similar modded M3E46 and FK8. 100-200kmh was 9.7s.

The main issue for me what I did not like about it was steering feel. A FK8 just has so much better turn in response and feel from the front end.

BTW manual gearbox is taken from one of the vw vans and it is really strong. I got good feel from it also with updated shift bushings.
Sponsored