• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What did you pay for your FL5?

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Maybe I’m in the minority but IMO PPF is a waste of money and time.

1. The glue begins to yellow after a few years even on the new, high tier PPF after roughly 3-5 years. That’s my experience.

2. It needs replacing.

3. The paint without PPF will fade differently if the car frequently experiences the elements. Yes, clear and PPF both have UV protection but there’s still a difference.

4. Cars get rock chips so it’s a losing battle regardless.
1. I've seen warranties 5+ years against it. So keep your paperwork.

2. I'm not sure anyone implied otherwise.

3. No one is debating that. Still simply trying to protect the paint as much as possible.

4. Yes the cars will get damaged. I think people are simply looking to keep their car looking as good as possible for as long as possible. I understand that isn't for everyone. For many a car is tool used to get from A to B. However if you're on this forum and discussing it as well as own one. You are likely doing it because the car means more to you than that. So you will do what you can to mitigate the effects to time and wear. We all live in various parts of the country and will experience different ways mother nature or daily driving will impact our cars.

I understand it is your opinion. You will place value on certain things differently than other. Calling it a waste of time feels a bit much.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
60k. marked up with 4k of accessories within the markup. They threw in gap insurance, least they can do. SGP, carbon fiber spoiler, red leather shift knob, illuminated door sills, door rain guards, protection paint, ppf coating spray. She sure is nice. Crazy how in the right like this thing looks light blue
Wow that color looks great.
Also, gap insurance is about $4 a year for one or two then it drops off. So maybe $8 in all they threw in.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R

1. The glue begins to yellow after a few years even on the new, high tier PPF after roughly 3-5 years. That’s my experience.

2. It needs replacing.

3. The paint without PPF will fade differently if the car frequently experiences the elements. Yes, clear and PPF both have UV protection but there’s still a difference.

I actually just talked to my neighbor who stopped me to talk about my CTR about this because I always see him cleaning his cars. He used to be a detailer and pretty much said the same thing about PPF and ceramic coating.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Price here in Australia is $72600 drive away. My FL5 will arrive mid February. Not long now.
Not sure what the cost of living is for you guys but direct conversation wise you are paying what we do in Canada, assuming you paid MSRP.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
The best is when they won't pay over msrp because that's rape but will drop thousands on 10 year guarantee ppf and 5 year ceramic just to sell the car 2-3 years later.

daazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Miata
Holy hater Batman!

Try saying congratulations. The old adage if you got nothing good to say then say nothing at all sometimes applies!😂
But saying congratulations doesn't make me feel better about myself!!!

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, JL 392XR, 981S, F430

2. It needs replacing.

couldn’t agree more. Have never put it on any of my vehicles and never will. It’s just a car I can get it repainted if it really bothers me.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
You want your friends to tell you the truth or lie to you? Personally I'd rather hear the hard truth than to be lied to. Paying 20k over is incredibly financially stupid.

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
I actually just talked to my neighbor who stopped me to talk about my CTR about this because I always see him cleaning his cars. He used to be a detailer and pretty much said the same thing about PPF and ceramic coating.
I totally agree about PPF, but I totally disagree regarding ceramic coating. If you do it yourself, with proper prep, I cannot overstate how much easier and efficient it is to keep your car clean if it has been properly coated. If you do it yourself, you can complete the job with high quality paint correction and coating for $200-$300. I will never own another car without it, as it significantly reduces the time spent on exterior maintenance. It is well worth the upfront financial/time investment IMO.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Xpel Ultimate Plus self healing comes with a 10 year warranty. Ceramic coat the ppf and it will last for ages. Did you see the recent keyed car photo? Not with ppf. Well worth the price to protect the future legend.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
The best is when they won't pay over msrp because that's rape but will drop thousands on 10 year guarantee ppf and 5 year ceramic just to sell the car 2-3 years later.
One you get something for, the other is dead money. The PPF adds to resale if you choose to go that route lol.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Holy hater Batman!

Try saying congratulations. The old adage if you got nothing good to say then say nothing at all sometimes applies!😂
Dude is literally the worst on this forum. He sure loves Hyundai and VW tho.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
One you get something for, the other is dead money. The PPF adds to resale if you choose to go that route lol.
I would disagree that it adds to resale. It may prevent chips in the front and lessen my reconditioning costs. However, you don't need PPF for me to not detract for that. The car is either bad or not.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
ppf I can't speak for, as I only had it on front of my FK8, prior to ceramic on top......

Proper Paint Correction and subsequent Ceramic Coating is absolute must for all (finance permitting). Especially my lazy a$$...

please allow me to endrudged myself;
I'd be first to tell y'all I'm lazy as FU$& and hates waxing!
well boys and girls;
if the car was properly paint corrected and ceramic coated, you'll never have to wax again!!!
as soon as you wash and dry, the properly corrected paint will POP RIGHT OUT!!!
please see below two of my previous rides:
both fresh from wash only! I swear to SCIENCE! :)

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you pay for your FL5? ABM

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you pay for your FL5? Y With Wheels 1 (2)

So if you lazy AF like me, than if funds permitting, should definitely consider paint correction and ceramic coating...

EDIT: per above @Tickle : the day I drove into the Honda dealer to work the deal for the FL5 and to show them my Model Y trade-in...obviously, they didn't have to look at my model Y for more than a minute, before they sat me down to work out all the numbers. Once they saw my trade, they didn't want to let me out the door, as much as I didn't want to leave without signing a contract for the the FL5. so yes, I think shiny cars should help with resale value. sorry, babbling on...
:spaz:
Sponsored

Last edited: