• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Spoon Side Mirrors for USDM

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Not sure what the difference is between the JDM and USDM side mirrors, but the FL1 Spoon side mirrors did not work out for the USDM FL5. I have seen elsewhere that they worked on a JDM spec, and did not seem to have any issues with fitment.

Will they fit USDM? Yes, to a degree. Will they line up with the blind spot monitoring? Not even close. I am not the biggest fan of side mirror overlays, but Spoon has the rear view mirror which I like and I wanted to try and stay consistent with the rear view and side view mirrors.

When I first installed, I centered the mirrors on top of the OEM side mirrors and there was a slight gap all the way around. Something that I was not thrilled about, but may have been able to live with until Spoon comes out with their full side mirror assembly. However, I quickly noticed that the BSI was not even close to being aligned. When aligning the BSI, there was a significant overhang on the right side of the driver mirror and a large gap on the left side. Didn't even open the package for the passenger side to see how it compared after this.

I will be looking into Suma and/or Mugen side mirrors next. Both of those options are a full mirror glass replacement so hopefully will not have the same issues.

11th Gen Honda Civic Spoon Side Mirrors for USDM 20230525_201445

11th Gen Honda Civic Spoon Side Mirrors for USDM 20230525_195135

11th Gen Honda Civic Spoon Side Mirrors for USDM 20230525_195155
Sponsored

OP
OP
albi

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Suma. Full replacement. Not absurdly overpriced.
Yeah, I think that is the route I am going to go $179.95 including defroster and BSI. Was just trying to cheap out until I end up replacing the side mirror assembly all together lol

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R #21399 (sold). 2023 Type-R #912
Yeah, I think that is the route I am going to go $179.95 including defroster and BSI. Was just trying to cheap out until I end up replacing the side mirror assembly ass together lol
I had the Suma mirrors on my FK8 and loved them. Had them ready for the FL5 before I even picked up the car. My only complaint is they now put their logo on the mirrors. I prefer no logos.

OP
OP
albi

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I had the Suma mirrors on my FK8 and loved them. Had them ready for the FL5 before I even picked up the car. My only complaint is they now put their logo on the mirrors. I prefer no logos.
How is the fitment for the FL5? Pretty good? I have some buddies with FK8's who love them as well, but I agree on the logo. If it didn't have the SUMA logo on the mirror I would have bought them without even trying to Spoon side mirrors.

Wanted to stay consistent where I could but sometimes not possible.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R #21399 (sold). 2023 Type-R #912
How is the fitment for the FL5? Pretty good? I have some buddies with FK8's who love them as well, but I agree on the logo. If it didn't have the SUMA logo on the mirror I would have bought them without even trying to Spoon side mirrors.

Wanted to stay consistent where I could but sometimes not possible.
They're replacements. Fit is identical.

When I got them I spoke with Suma and they claim they added the logo to stand out from knock offs. BS answer. Their only solution was a return with no restocking fee

OP
OP
albi

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
They're replacements. Fit is identical.

When I got them I spoke with Suma and they claim they added the logo to stand out from knock offs. BS answer. Their only solution was a return with no restocking fee
Did you end up keeping them after all?

OP
OP
albi

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Yes. I'm so used to this convex mirror style now I can't go back lol.
100%. Thank you, this makes me feel more confident in ordering a set, just have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery :banghead:

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
SUMA here as well. It’s absurd the US doesn’t allow the curved side mirrors, they’re so much safer, no blind spots, ZERO. Improves driving enjoyment since a casual look to the mirror is needed instead of craning your neck to ensure lane is clear. It took about a day to reprogram my brain to adjust for relative distance of car from my rear bumper to the size of the car in the mirror.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Yes. I'm so used to this convex mirror style now I can't go back lol.
SUMA here as well. It’s absurd the US doesn’t allow the curved side mirrors, they’re so much safer, no blind spots, ZERO. Improves driving enjoyment since a casual look to the mirror is needed instead of craning your neck to ensure lane is clear. It took about a day to reprogram my brain to adjust for relative distance of car from my rear bumper to the size of the car in the mirror.
I just learned of Suma side view mirrors from this thread. I read both of your reviews, and I was wondering if the convexity of the mirrors is really necessary if I usually set my mirrors to view my blindspots instead of typical way where the mirrors are set to be able to see down the side of the car.

These Suma's seem tempting, but I don't know if I need to spend $185 on something that isn't a problem.

11th Gen Honda Civic Spoon Side Mirrors for USDM 1685111209397

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I just learned of Suma side view mirrors from this thread. I read both of your reviews, and I was wondering if the convexity of the mirrors is really necessary if I usually set my mirrors to view my blindspots instead of typical way where the mirrors are set to be able to see down the side of the car.

These Suma's seem tempting, but I don't know if I need to spend $185 on something that isn't a problem.

1685111209397.png
Convex mirrors are definitely not necessary.

Blind spots appear because, as you noted, people don't know how to set their side view mirrors properly.

The first thing I do with any car is set up the side view mirrors correctly, then go on the highway and see if there are any blind spots. I can confirm that the CTR does NOT have any blind spots if you set the mirrors correctly.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

1685111209397.png
I had convex mirrors on my other car and they were great. Really helps eliminate blind spots. I could see the side of my vehicle and two lanes on the left.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Convex mirrors are definitely not necessary.

Blind spots appear because, as you noted, people don't know how to set their side view mirrors properly.

The first thing I do with any car is set up the side view mirrors correctly, then go on the highway and see if there are any blind spots. I can confirm that the CTR does NOT have any blind spots if you set the mirrors correctly.
I agree, completely unnecessary. But then again, I've purchased several mods that are "unnecessary". As long as their are options people will exercise their right to consider and/or purchase parts irrespective of any real gain.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
I’ve read how to set mirrors properly. I tried a few days of different settings and in the NY metro area it’s good to not have any questions about what’s around you as you’re trying to spot potholes and such; sometimes a quick jink is necessary. The mirrors are quite helpful and although I’m not a huge fan of modifying the car I believe the curved mirrors help and make the daily commute that much more enjoyable. Again, the US should follow the Europeans and allow for curved side mirrors.
Sponsored