Sponsored

I hate seeing posts about Type R's getting stolen. Here are a few good/inexpensive products to keep your car safe!

zumbooruk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
672
Reaction score
623
Location
Ventura CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 FL5, 2014 Chevy Suburban (wife), previous 2007 FA5
I guess the question is if it is worth it to include in the multilayered approach. OBD port lock, kill switch, steering wheel lock, AirTag, wheel locks. All can be defeated. But taken together, maybe the potential thief would decide to pass because it’s too much time and effort? Or is it something they would laugh at and say “why even bother?”
I am not sure...

It seems bulky, not easy to store, not easy to put on and take off. fairly easily defeated.

I also decided against any system with GPS/Cellular service, as these are very easy to jam with a simple inexpensive jammer.

I am still looking for a satisfactory way to prevent flatbed or tow truck heist.
 

zumbooruk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
672
Reaction score
623
Location
Ventura CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 FL5, 2014 Chevy Suburban (wife), previous 2007 FA5

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
712
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
I wonder how clever some of these thieves are. Those relays would be easy to bypass with a simple jumper wire if they know which relay is preventing the car from running. It would certainly cost them time though.
 


zumbooruk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
672
Reaction score
623
Location
Ventura CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 FL5, 2014 Chevy Suburban (wife), previous 2007 FA5
I wonder how clever some of these thieves are. Those relays would be easy to bypass with a simple jumper wire if they know which relay is preventing the car from running. It would certainly cost them time though.
All they'll need to bring with them is a regular plain old relay.

Which is why I ended up with the Ravelco
 

Mangoal

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Chris
Joined
Aug 3, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
29
Reaction score
35
Location
North America
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R
Solid list! Another good add is a dashcam with parking mode.

Realistically, it won't physically stop someone from stealing or towing the car, but having footage if someone is checking out the car beforehand, plus catching hit-and-runs while street parked, can give you a little extra peace of mind.
 

chuckee98

New Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
8
Location
lawn gyland
Vehicle(s)
‘24 ITS
Decided to give the mobilistics immobilizer a shot. Easy plug and play, and pretty neat functionality wise. Passively self arms 30 sec after shutoff, one button disarm on remote before starting, with a valet mode when needed. Yes, I know it’s easy to defeat if you know it’s there, but do thieves always carry a spare relay? For me, it’s a secondary kill switch, and meant to slow them down. Get past the first one, then they have to spend time to find this one and disable it. It’s the time annoyance factor for me. I plan on fabricating a steel bracket to go over the side of the fuse box cover that attaches with an existing mounting bolt on the side. Is it foolproof? No. But do the thieves also carry 10mm sockets with an extension and rachet with them?

also FYI - in this application, it is not a true starter kill, but rather an ignition kill. The starter will still crank, but the car will not run. If the relay unexpectedly fails, the car will stop running. This would be the same as a fuel pump kill.

Pic of immobilizer remote and car remote for size reference.:
11th Gen Honda Civic I hate seeing posts about Type R's getting stolen.  Here are a few good/inexpensive products to keep your car safe! IMG_5413
 

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
712
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
Decided to give the mobilistics immobilizer a shot. Easy plug and play, and pretty neat functionality wise. Passively self arms 30 sec after shutoff, one button disarm on remote before starting, with a valet mode when needed. Yes, I know it’s easy to defeat if you know it’s there, but do thieves always carry a spare relay? For me, it’s a secondary kill switch, and meant to slow them down. Get past the first one, then they have to spend time to find this one and disable it. It’s the time annoyance factor for me. I plan on fabricating a steel bracket to go over the side of the fuse box cover that attaches with an existing mounting bolt on the side. Is it foolproof? No. But do the thieves also carry 10mm sockets with an extension and rachet with them?

also FYI - in this application, it is not a true starter kill, but rather an ignition kill. The starter will still crank, but the car will not run. If the relay unexpectedly fails, the car will stop running. This would be the same as a fuel pump kill.

Pic of immobilizer remote and car remote for size reference.:
IMG_5413.webp
I think the bracket covering the fuse box is a brilliant idea! To make that even more secure, you could buy some obscure security bolts that require a special driver.
 
 







Top