Sponsored

Rhorn

Senior Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Mar 24, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
999
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
BRZ, Civic Type R
I wonder how much these new features will increase the weight.

The cosmetic changes aren't really significant and kind of a downgrade in some cases.

It seems like the new engine cover was done to cut costs, the new one looks lame af and I wouldnt be surprised if we see people trying to put on the old cover. For the front fascia, the previous grille design looks honestly better than the refreshed one imo. The car still has that weird beluga whale look and would benefit from being more squared off or angled like the Integra Type S. So the redesigned front doesn't do anything for me and is actually disappointing.

For the interior it seems weird and it seems like the FK8 refresh was better in that department (never had a FK8 so idk)

The heated seats and infotainment is definitely a plus although due to the material of the seats its not that bad for me (I do live in the Southeast). Never had a problem with the infotainment so hopefully the new one won't be glitchy

With the features like the new Honda Sensing, brake pedal feel I hope that it doesn't make the car more intrusive and more annoying to setup to go on the track. I dont do the pedal dance but it takes like a minute to turn everything off and put the car in +R mode before going on the track. I hope that +R mode doesn't lock you the +R suspension like how it is now and that you can fully turn off brake vectoring to prevent your rear brakes from being cooked. Super stupid having to do the pedal dance to turn it off completely even though you already hit the button. Just complete redundancy lol. I can see the tech changes making the car worse but I hope Im wrong.

Still waiting on that proposed HPD Catalog and the akrapovic exhaust that we might be getting.

Its honestly not enough to make me jump to get a new one right now. I do think I might buy the last model year just so I can get a 5 year powertrain warranty + the 3 year extended one. Hopefully Honda will have enough K20C1s to last into 2038 I will definitely ride this car out with max factory support untill the end 😅 It is nice to see Honda still making the CTR and not killing it off like what they have done in other countries. FK8 refresh seemed like it had a higher budget though so cant really complain. I still like it.

Really hoping that @savagegeese can get the details from Honda about what was actually changed with this refresh instead of these generic details from the press release.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
828
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
I wonder how much these new features will increase the weight.

The cosmetic changes aren't really significant and kind of a downgrade in some cases.

It seems like the new engine cover was done to cut costs. For the front fascia, the previous grille design looks honestly better than the refreshed one imo. The car still has that weird beluga whale look and would benefit from being more squared off or angled like the Integra Type S. So the redesigned front doesn't do anything for me.

For the interior it seems weird and it seems like the FK8 refresh was better in that department (never had a FK8 so idk)

The heated seats and infotainment is definitely a plus although due to the material of the seats its not that bad for me (I do live in the Southeast). Never had a problem with the infotainment so hopefully the new one won't be glitchy

With the features like the new Honda Sensing, brake pedal feel I hope that it doesn't make the car more intrusive and more annoying to setup to go on the track. I dont do the pedal dance but it takes like a minute to turn everything off and put the car in +R mode before going on the track. I hope that +R mode doesn't lock you the +R suspension like how it is now and that you can fully turn off brake vectoring to prevent your rear brakes from being cooked. Super stupid having to do the pedal dance to turn it off completely even though you already hit the button. Just complete redundancy lol.

Still waiting on that proposed HPD Catalog and the akrapovic exhaust that we might be getting.

Its honestly not enough to make me jump to get a new one right now. I do think I might buy the last model year just so I can get a 5 year powertrain warranty + the extended one. Hopefully Honda will have enough K20C1s to last into 2038. 😅

Really hoping that @savagegeese can get the details from Honda about what was actually changed with this refresh instead of these generic details from the press release.
Couldn't have said my thoughts better.

I would've been much happier if they released the HRC parts in a LE type of configuration. I keep looking back and forth between the front fascia and the new one genuinely looks worse, I was expecting something akin to the refresh that the 2025 non type R civics got, but instead we lost the air guides on the brake intake, get a weird glossy lip and what looks like the car hit a speed bump. Seems so incremental that I'm convinced it's because the HRC parts are gonna be more extreme (if they ever come out).

It's also a small change, but that engine cover change makes the car feel less special, since it's a design closer to the DE5. In fact those whole refresh just screams "let's make the DE5 less desirable".
 

Sporky McGeuschky

Senior Member
First Name
Sporky
Joined
Feb 21, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
615
Reaction score
605
Location
Central Texas
Vehicle(s)
'25 Civic Type R, Dory Blue and Satin White
Build Thread
Link
You know it’s a great update when we have six pages questioning what’s changed in the front design and complaining about potential surveillance.
My fellow Houstonian. Exactly.

See, y'all? This guy gets it.
 

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
828
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
You know it’s a great update when we have six pages questioning what’s changed in the front design and complaining about potential surveillance.
Lol, it's more substantial than I expected and less than what would make me upgrade
 
  • Like
Reactions: jcb


APEXRaceParts

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Joined
Apr 26, 2018
Threads
23
Messages
103
Reaction score
80
Location
California
Vehicle(s)
BMW
The Meteorite Gray is cool...

Everything else feels... uninspired.

Maybe this is one of those weird years like when Ford first switched body styles on the Mustangs back in 2010 but didn't put the new engine in until 2011. So maybe the 2028 will be more exciting.
 

CTR

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Joined
Dec 3, 2015
Threads
17
Messages
871
Reaction score
1,015
Location
WA
Website
strixauto.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2020 GX460
I've looked at quite a few photos and that front lower grille area appears to be the only thing that was changed and not the outer bumper skin. I bet that part can be purchased from Honda and retrofitted to older Type R's if someone wanted to as it just snaps in.

I almost prefer styling of the existing lower grille that doesn't stick out as much.
 

CG13

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
147
Reaction score
169
Location
Houston
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5 Civic Type R
Motor Trend’s sub headline: “Honda has made minor updates that should make its legendary hot hatch even easier to live with.”

I can’t say it enough how disappointing it is when everything continues to get heavier and softer and less direct.

Imagine you’re looking to spend up to $60k, you want a manual transmission and four doors and sport car performance. You have very limited options.

Honda offers two:

Integra Type S
Civic Type R

The differentiation is the ITS is softer, heavier, and more focused on comfort with leather, power seats that are less sporty, better stereo, etc. The Civic is sharper, more direct, lighter and more focused on driving engagement and offers some track oriented features (seats, LogR, rear tow hook, etc).

They’re extremely similar in that they share chassis, drivetrain, and powertrain.

Your choice comes down to styling, brand, and what I mentioned above, if not a few other small things.

Enter the 2027 model year and Honda decides to do a minor refresh to the Type R. What do they do? Lean in on Integra’s differentiators.

How does the Type R forum respond? OMG heated seats!!! I wish it had cooled seats too! Wow, more wiring and weight for the mirror! Yes!!!!

I just don’t get it. Few manufacturers give you a comfort and a sport version of a car that are this clearly differentiated. I can’t understand wanting them to move toward the middle. Honda should have made the Type R more extreme, with some of those HPD aero parts to make it obvious what you’re seeing from the outside. Improved cooling (OIL COOLER, hood vent, etc) to make it more track ready, and reduce some weight on top of that.
 

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
828
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
How does the Type R forum respond? OMG heated seats!!! I wish it had cooled seats too! Wow, more wiring and weight for the mirror! Yes!!!!
I think the overwhelming majority are disappointed as well, but view the changes as a net positive. The seat stuff is stupid and I agree, never understood putting heating or cooling elements in a chair. I kinda bought this car to scratch my boy racer itch, so it does disappoint me that theyre toning it down.

Again, really hopeful that the HRC stuff is the foil to this
 

Rhorn

Senior Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Mar 24, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
999
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
BRZ, Civic Type R
Motor Trend’s sub headline: “Honda has made minor updates that should make its legendary hot hatch even easier to live with.”

I can’t say it enough how disappointing it is when everything continues to get heavier and softer and less direct.

Imagine you’re looking to spend up to $60k, you want a manual transmission and four doors and sport car performance. You have very limited options.

Honda offers two:

Integra Type S
Civic Type R

The differentiation is the ITS is softer, heavier, and more focused on comfort with leather, power seats that are less sporty, better stereo, etc. The Civic is sharper, more direct, lighter and more focused on driving engagement and offers some track oriented features (seats, LogR, rear tow hook, etc).

They’re extremely similar in that they share chassis, drivetrain, and powertrain.

Your choice comes down to styling, brand, and what I mentioned above, if not a few other small things.

Enter the 2027 model year and Honda decides to do a minor refresh to the Type R. What do they do? Lean in on Integra’s differentiators.

How does the Type R forum respond? OMG heated seats!!! I wish it had cooled seats too! Wow, more wiring and weight for the mirror! Yes!!!!

I just don’t get it. Few manufacturers give you a comfort and a sport version of a car that are this clearly differentiated. I can’t understand wanting them to move toward the middle. Honda should have made the Type R more extreme, with some of those HPD aero parts to make it obvious what you’re seeing from the outside. Improved cooling (OIL COOLER, hood vent, etc) to make it more track ready, and reduce some weight on top of that.
The product planners for these cars should be fired honestly.

I remember when the ITS came out everyone was lushing over the exhuast and how it gad larger diameter exhuast valves and a deleted resonater pipe for the exhuast. But then they dialed it back giving it more create comforts and regular seats.

I agee with you and it is very weird. I do know that internally there Is a disconnect between JP Honda and Acura, thats partly how we ended up getting the NSX and it kind of being botched.

Also HPD started developing the Integra Type S TC car instead of just making the Honda one. Maybe thats a marketing thing to help get Acuras name out there but they also have the TCR Car which is the FL5 (TC is the next class above TCR). It is weird, especially with them showing off the ITS HPD Concept. Imo it should have been the CTR.

But this just shows you that behind close doors there is a lack of communication between the two companies.
 


Nikw91

Senior Member
First Name
Nik 772typr
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
551
Reaction score
560
Location
WPB, FL
Vehicle(s)
2025 CW FL5
The insert is the only piece to change
the bumper cover is still the same bumper as the 23-26 same part#
the insert is a different part# from the 2026
What is the new inserts part number?

Someone needs to order the new insert and post comparison pictures of the two inserts side by side.

I’ve already done two different side by side comparisons for the community in the (PRL filter vs AEM filter and PRL intercooler vs HKS intercooler!) So now it is someone else’s turn to be the guinea pig lol
 

CG13

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
147
Reaction score
169
Location
Houston
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5 Civic Type R
The product planners for these cars should be fired honestly.

I remember when the ITS came out everyone was lushing over the exhuast and how it gad larger diameter exhuast valves and a deleted resonater pipe for the exhuast. But then they dialed it back giving it more create comforts and regular seats.

I agee with you and it is very weird. I do know that internally there Is a disconnect between JP Honda and Acura, thats partly how we ended up getting the NSX and it kind of being botched.

Also HPD started developing the Integra Type S TC car instead of just making the Honda one. Maybe thats a marketing thing to help get Acuras name out there but they also have the TCR Car which is the FL5 (TC is the next class above TCR). It is weird, especially with them showing off the ITS HPD Concept. Imo it should have been the CTR.

But this just shows you that behind close doors there is a lack of communication between the two companies.
I agree with the sentiment but I think you have it backwards with the TC and TCR cars. TCR is the pricier and higher level car. HPD is involved with both.
 

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
828
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
What is the new inserts part number?

Someone needs to order the new insert and post comparison pictures of the two inserts side by side.

I’ve already done two different side by side comparisons for the community in the (PRL filter vs AEM filter and PRL intercooler vs HKS intercooler!) So now it is someone else’s turn to be the guinea pig lol
I'll do the insert, but you guys would have to wait until next year lol
 

superporpoise

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
114
Reaction score
198
Location
Portland, OR
Vehicle(s)
2024 RS3
Hey guys, just a reminder that my uncle who is VERY high up at Honda Japan and a native Japanese speaker has confirmed that Honda is only making the Civic Type R for three years, from 2023-2025.

My 2023 that I bought for $55K is only going to increase in value, if anyone is interested I might be willing to let it go for $68K with only 34,500 miles.

In conclusion, the 2023 FL5 Type R is Honda's best performance car of all time. Honda will never improve it in order to sell more cars and make more money, because my uncle works AT HONDA IN JAPAN and is a NATIVE JAPANESE SPEAKER
Sponsored

 
 







Top