• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I forgot to mention this...
For those of you interested in car industry strategies, this info seems to give us some insight into how VW is positioning the new Golf R. This may not be news to the rest of you, but i found it fascinating...
Never had the pleasure of driving or sitting in a Golf R, so since the R was one of the 'big 3' being reviewed by the media, i wanted to find out if our local VW dealership had an R or expected to get any, so i called. The salesperson said that their first one sold out immediately, so they didn't have any atm...but they had 2 coming in, and *Happily* informed me that they would BOTH be Automatics! say, whaat?

So, my professional opinion is that VW is targeting those who have heard the hype about the new hot hatches and are very intrigued but cannot/don't want to drive a stick... so they can join the fun by getting a Golf R automatic. Plus, as i mentioned b4, the racetrack has removed the stigma of a sportscar with automatic xmission, so no image problems there either. sad, but true...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBO

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
Manual Golf R was discontinued in Australia before the Mk8 arrived. Sad days when you can't make the choice for yourself...

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I just think Golf R is awesome. You can get the car with a dual clutch or manual transmission. Options are great to have and let's be real... Dual clutch brings numbers and sales. It's all wheel drive and it's handsome. It really is just agreeable every where except... The infotainment/steering wheel controls and to be honest I've never lived with one so maybe it's a wee bit overblown or maybe it isn't.

Last edited:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
^This is nice but where is the official Nürburgring time (and not in the wet)?

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek