• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Summary: The Civic wins but they conclude the GR is probably the "better" dedicated weekend car as it feels more raucous and "special." Quotes used to denote subjectivity, not snark!

https://www.autoblog.com/article/honda-civic-type-r-vs-toyota-gr-corolla-comparison-review/
you do realize that this is NOT going to help people's search for one of these cars at MSRP? Right now, the manager of our local Toyota has the GR at 20k ADM... i will be curious to see how that plays out.

what i didn't understand (and maybe someone can help me here) was when i looked at the actual numbers they posted, it looked like the CTR didn't do as well on any of the track times... but they made it sound like the CTR won some...what am i missing??

the good news is that this proved what i had thought from the beginning... that all 3 were great cars and that the decision would have to be personal. they did say that, but they also made a big deal of who came in 1st.

personally... the reason i wanted a hot hatch is because i wanted...
1) manufacturer reputation for quality
2) manual drive
3) performance
4) cargo and passenger space
5) all-wheel drive
6) a car that would hold its resale value
7) fit in my garage
...in that order.
all other amenities were optional for me... (or so i thought... until i saw the red seats and the interior of the CTR. Unlike some of you, that was a BFD for me. lol)

If any of the other performance cars had enough internal space, i would have definitely considered them... and if another had enough space, they may have even topped my list. In fact, i had a REALLY hard time deciding between the GR and the CTR based on my personal list (cargo and passenger space vs. AWD since those were mutually exclusive with those 2 cars).

but that's me... y'all need to decide YOUR order.

If you are lucky enough to be able to afford 2 or all 3 of these, please let us know your experience with them. :)
Sponsored

Cooler2442

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT4
That makes sense. The GR is more of a wild animal at the expense of being a little less daily-able. Though I have an FL5, would I like the option to drive a small, crazy, AWD, turbo, hatchback, with a proper parking brake around a track on weekends? Heck yes! Sounds like a lot of fun!
Except the GR has massive track over heating issues apparently with the AWD system that no fix has been found for(diff cover/heat shielding exhaust hasn't helped some).

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
Except the GR has massive track over heating issues apparently with the AWD system that no fix has been found for(diff cover/heat shielding exhaust hasn't helped some).
Interesting considering the relative cold temps in most areas of the country. Source?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Massive overheating may be a mild consideration to some, yes. Others might quite enjoy this feature.🤣

Cooler2442

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT4
Interesting considering the relative cold temps in most areas of the country. Source?
Join the GR groups on Facebook, I see multiple posts about it. Granted these are experienced track drivers pushing the car hard but they are seeing AWD overheating messages. Some believed wrapping the exhaust and a larger Cusco diff cover would fix the problem but I saw a post saying someone had both of those and it still overheated. Basically sounds like what the FK8 went through on overheating when it just came out and will take time for Toyota to update.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I think this issue is in the Yaris as well as the Corolla. Some google actions can surely help you out.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
I think I call BS on this...
GR better weekend car until someone with and FL5 with 2-baby seats passing them...
yea, very "special"...just my take.

pretty some magazines "spins" their review to accommodate certain sponsor's?
(of course I could be wrong).

EDIT: "one can't really say that is better, but I'll take that"...doesn't work that way.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
i saw it too... it's been a known track issue for years with the Yaris -- and apparently carried over to the Corolla version. Seems there are fixes, and there is a great discussion about it on the GR forum here...

GR Corolla AWD Overheating | Page 3 | Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion

Just hoping nothing weird pops up with the CTR. So far...so good. :)

p.s. - i have my rev-matching turned off, so if anyone has any more info on that issue, please post.

Last edited:

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
I wouldn't really consider either for a 'weekend' car. To me a weekend car is more like an impractical coupe/convertible with little to no utility and sporty looks like a Cayman or Vette. If I got a second car for weekends it certainly wouldn't be a dorky looking corolla...

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
I wouldn't really consider either for a 'weekend' car. To me a weekend car is more like an impractical coupe/convertible with little to no utility and sporty looks like a Cayman or Vette. If I got a second car for weekends it certainly wouldn't be a dorky looking corolla...
I’m sure as hell not buying either as a daily, so for me, they’re weekend cars.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
that’s my issue with the GRC, it’s a 4 door hatch but practicality is more like a Mustang thanks to the tiny 30” rear legroom and gimped trunk.

so maybe the engine sounds a little better and it’s a bit more raucous, but it’s impracticality puts it more in the weekend sporty car category where there’s a lot of competition.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I was thinking the same thing. Like GR has other offerings I would consider more weekend car than a CTR.

Honestly, I don't care if someone thinks one is better than the other. The Type R is what I wanted. I never wanted a Corolla and I prefer the CTR to the Golf R.

Last edited:

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
wouldnt be able to stomach sitting inside the Corolla, absolutely horrible Interior . Exterior styling is not Something I would ever look back at when walking away from the car. Would much rather save a bunch of cash and get the GR86 if you are intent on getting a Toyota

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
If I got a second car for weekends it certainly wouldn't be a dorky looking corolla...
Truest words in this thread
Sponsored