• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Honestly I'm really considering a used black FK8 as my back up plan haha. Black hides enough of the wild shenanigans going on with the exterior design, although it'll be a pain to keep clean. We'll see how things turn out soon enough I'm sure.
Have you driven one yet?

I just took one out a couple weeks ago and it took all my willpower to not buy it. Patience, I must show patience! Hahahaha!

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
I don't know what your neighbor's up to, but oil changes shouldn't run more than $300 at the Porsche dealer. The 80k maintenance (or 75k or whatever it happens to be) will run just over $1200, but it shouldn't be $1600 on the regular...
This is in Canada. Not sure if that makes a difference but he said oil change and rotation was $1600. I’ll ask him again next time I talk to him though.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
1660251160401.png

they can ask all they want, are they gonna get it? who knows. This dealer had these cars for over a month and it started at 65k and lowering them.
That’s gross. Like I said I hope they all choke on these things.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
This is in Canada. Not sure if that makes a difference but he said oil change and rotation was $1600. I’ll ask him again next time I talk to him though.
That could be it. Even so, that's a bit of a hike...

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
Have you driven one yet?

I just took one out a couple weeks ago and it took all my willpower to not buy it. Patience, I must show patience! Hahahaha!
Not yet for that exact reason hahaha.

In 2015 or so I test drove the Si fully willing to waiting for the 2016s to come out but figuring it'd be fun to see what the "hated" 2.4L 9th gen Si was like...

Ended up loving it so much I bought it then and there lol. I won't make the same mistake! (Not that I regretted it one bit)

Vtextc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
We have a P-Car and yes, the "maintenance and Inspection package" which also consists of tire rotation, brake fluid flush and oil change is almost $2000 CAD. A tough pill for sure.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
1660249829028.png

dealers are basically scum.
I would like to shed some light here on this subject currently at hand. I want to bring it up because I sit on the other side of the table when you are sitting down buying a car.

I would like to get some things out of the way first.

1. There are scum dealers out there and there are good ones.
2. Different dealers have different business models
3. Dealers are there to make a profit and employ people
4. I don't know everything there is to know about the car business.

Dealer profits are up across the board overall. Supply and demand. You can attribute that front-end margins on the front increasing. You can also attribute it to costs going down on certain this such as floor plans for dealers that use them and advertising.

You basically are taking a business mod that works best for mega dealers who operate in volume and allowing it to work for all dealers.

Used car values have shot up. You can attribute that to a few things. Dealers in large part don't have enough new cars so they want to purchase used cars and may look to the auction to purchase that inventory (Without a new inventory, you are not getting the trades you would like to see). So the competition is high of course but it doesn't stop there. There are other very influential players in the market. Since a manufacturer may not be able to supply the volume to dealers they certainly can't do it for Hertz or Enterprise or other rental agencies that have a big impact on car values. These are the companies that go to the auction and pay way beyond retail for cars because they NEED them. The newer and lower milage the better. I watch purchases happen that blow my mind and would blow your mind too. This drives up the market also. You have other situations at large too. We all see what Carvana is going through. They can't buy cars at ta reasonable price. Automakers have also made it more difficult for them to get vehicles buy not allowing leases to be purchased unless you are the lease or a dealership of that make and model. This was a move done to protect the dealer's body.

I say all this because dealers ALSO deal with the market. So for example, let's say you get that VW Golf R that you paid for. Perhaps over MSRP or perhaps not. Then you decide that you want to get something else and you go to trade it in. Well, that vehicle currently goes for thousands over MSRP at the auction. Sure a dealer may get by an unwitting customer but in my experience, people are very well educated in this matter. At least Honda buyers tend to be. Dealers read and react to the market and we all have a different interpretation of what it is. This is why you may see dealers vary on trades by larger amounts than ever. To beat the point home. If you buy an FL5 and you paid 5k over the sticker. Then you decide you don't want it after a few months for whatever reason. When you trade it... If the market is 10k higher than the MSRP. You probably want to get all that money back. I've sold quite a fee preowned vehicles for more than MSRP new. It's that way because that's what the market says it should be. I babe traded cars where people getting more for their car than they laid for it in 2019.

The dealer puts this trade on their lot. You now have zero incentive to buy it unless the the dealer decides to ADM a new car to create a gap. Not every dealer will see it that way or care but I understand from those that do.

So when you see these cars for that price. It is in large part because the market said the trade was x amount and if you want to sell a car. Well, then you have to be in line with the market. It is a risk and it is a scary one but it is the role of the dealer. So when you see that dealer dropping the price rapidly on that trade it is very well because he doesn't want to be stuck with it and you try to get rid of it as soon as possible. Not because they have thousands upon thousands in markup. The last R to go through Manheim went through for 55,500.

nezumi

First Name
John Vilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux
high deman vs how many FL5 really to Aus , Aus Honda really have a bad rep. we only get 1 trim level of the current 11th gen civic, no base or middle trim which pisses people off . Yes and our allocation for fk8 got cut off in late 2020 with a short notice .

AUS got 20 LE fk8 out of the 1020 world wide . so who really know how many FL5 were getting lol .

for Color’s he said 80% people are picking white , hes not promising you’ll get the color but will do he’s best ( sales speech)

Thanks for the information. Yeah it's been tough couple of years buying a vehicle these days its ridiculous. Looks like I'll be driving my bomb for a while. Chasing games is no fun. Hope you get your allocation with your preferred colours.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Since we were talking about it earlier in the thread (post #1180 or so), I thought I'd share this SavageGeese video, where they talk potential power figures for the 3.0 Supra vs the new Nissan Z. Neither of these are seriously on my radar as I really want a roughly $40k fun car that's practical, and I still can't find a true alternative besides the sister Integra Type S. But I thought these were interesting, especially the tidbit that the B58 can do over 700hp all day, so maybe the mildly-tuned m340i really would last a while if it's so under-stressed.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
We have a P-Car and yes, the "maintenance and Inspection package" which also consists of tire rotation, brake fluid flush and oil change is almost $2000 CAD. A tough pill for sure.
Dang, it's probably the brake fluid flush and inspection that add so greatly to the cost? That's still pretty steep. I guess there are fewer certified techs there so the price is higher, or import costs/etc. Thanks for sharing

TomK

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Pilot
What do you think the likely hood is that every dealer in United States receives at least one type R on the first batch?

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
What do you think the likely hood is that every dealer in United States receives at least one type R on the first batch?
Probably not likely, and it also depends on how large the first "batch" is. There are 1,000 Honda dealerships in the U.S., but higher volume dealerships will likely get more than one Type R, while some lower volume dealers will likely get zero.

TomK

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Pilot
You’d think though it wouldn’t matter….they’re gonna sell. Spread the love with all dealers lol
Sponsored