• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

27WON Civic Si Time Attack Build

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
So I pulled a front wheel to access the front caliper and had intentions of pulling the pads to measure, but to my surprise the caliper had a large retaining clip holding the body of the caliper to the knuckle/caliper bracket. Of all of my many Honda cars I've owned and serviced, I've never seen a design like this. Where the caliper bolts holding the piston and body part of the caliper there were the plastic cylindrical coverings of some sort. I didn't want to dismantle the caliper to find I needed a special tool to put it all back together. :) Anyone service a caliper like this?
Hmm, I think I understand the Unity Performance picture now. I guess the Unity picture really is comparing a 10th gen Si stock pad (top, EBC yellow) to a stock 11th gen Si pad (bottom).

I can tell from the pad ears poking out of the caliper in your 3rd picture that the 11th gen stock pad is definitely different from the 10th. And the ears look the same as the bottom pad in the Unity picture. And then in my picture, the rear pad is much smaller than the stock 10th front.

So unfortunately, no dice, looks like the 11th gen Si pad really is different from the 10th gen pad. As a 10th gen owner I'm pretty bummed, too--was hoping Honda would re-use the same caliper which would hope pad availability for both gens (like the 8th/9th crew). Wasn't meant to be, I guess!

That retaining clip you found looks to me like it is just a basic spring. So some sort of flathead and/or pliers should be all that you need. I wouldn't be too worries about it when the time comes.

Having someone send a stock pad backing plate to Carbotech or G-Loc is probably the best way to get access to decent performance pads.wothout going to a BBK.

I'm going to be moving to a carbotech XP-8 for my next track day later this year with my 10th gen. Carbotech already has the 10th gen Si stock backing plate info in their system. I did a powerstop "track day" pad for my first outing and they held up fine-ish. No brown trousers moments, but they were pretty much used up after one outing and the braking confidence was never really there.

Hopefully a good Carbotech/G-Loc pad will do well for track days with stock power on the stock caliper. Otherwise, the 27won BBK is definitely a favorite for the 10th gen platform... I expect the 11th gen community will find the same!
Sponsored

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Hmm, I think I understand the Unity Performance picture now. I guess the Unity picture really is comparing a 10th gen Si stock pad (top, EBC yellow) to a stock 11th gen Si pad (bottom).

I can tell from the pad ears poking out of the caliper in your 3rd picture that the 11th gen stock pad is definitely different from the 10th. And the ears look the same as the bottom pad in the Unity picture. And then in my picture, the rear pad is much smaller than the stock 10th front.

So unfortunately, no dice, looks like the 11th gen Si pad really is different from the 10th gen pad. As a 10th gen owner I'm pretty bummed, too--was hoping Honda would re-use the same caliper which would hope pad availability for both gens (like the 8th/9th crew). Wasn't meant to be, I guess!

That retaining clip you found looks to me like it is just a basic spring. So some sort of flathead and/or pliers should be all that you need. I wouldn't be too worries about it when the time comes.

Having someone send a stock pad backing plate to Carbotech or G-Loc is probably the best way to get access to decent performance pads.wothout going to a BBK.

I'm going to be moving to a carbotech XP-8 for my next track day later this year with my 10th gen. Carbotech already has the 10th gen Si stock backing plate info in their system. I did a powerstop "track day" pad for my first outing and they held up fine-ish. No brown trousers moments, but they were pretty much used up after one outing and the braking confidence was never really there.

Hopefully a good Carbotech/G-Loc pad will do well for track days with stock power on the stock caliper. Otherwise, the 27won BBK is definitely a favorite for the 10th gen platform... I expect the 11th gen community will find the same!
Yeah kind of a bummer there aren't any readily available pads for this car yet. I watched a youtube video of an Si owner doing a track day with his car and the biggest issue was the lack of braking and a soft pedal after the event. Car and Driver also measured something like a 300 foot stop from 100 mph. When I had my old GSR, I put Accord Wagon/ITR calipers with VW Corrado rotors and Porterfield R4S pads. Great street/light track day setup.

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
So I pulled a front wheel to access the front caliper and had intentions of pulling the pads to measure, but to my surprise the caliper had a large retaining clip holding the body of the caliper to the knuckle/caliper bracket. Of all of my many Honda cars I've owned and serviced, I've never seen a design like this. Where the caliper bolts holding the piston and body part of the caliper there were the plastic cylindrical coverings of some sort. I didn't want to dismantle the caliper to find I needed a special tool to put it all back together. :) Anyone service a caliper like this?
IMG_1940.jpeg
IMG_1938.jpeg
IMG_1937.jpeg
This looks very similar to the new accord. It seems Honda brought over a lot of parts from the Accord for the new Civic.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR, 14 Ridgeline
IMG_1940.jpeg
IMG_1938.jpeg
IMG_1937.jpeg
no special tools needed. That spring literally just pops on and off. Use a flat head.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS, C8 Z06; great pairing
thanks for sharing your experiences with the car! i'm coming form a camaro SS1LE most recently as my track car (track days with Chin, HOD etc) ... waiting on a C8 ZO6 or GT4 allocation but i'm thinking of running the Si for a couple of events ... looking to do brake pads and tires to have something reliable but not necessarily blazingly fast. i'll definitely be following this thread while also looking around for an adequate pad and tire (or wheel/tire) option.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Yeah kind of a bummer there aren't any readily available pads for this car yet. I watched a youtube video of an Si owner doing a track day with his car and the biggest issue was the lack of braking and a soft pedal after the event. Car and Driver also measured something like a 300 foot stop from 100 mph. When I had my old GSR, I put Accord Wagon/ITR calipers with VW Corrado rotors and Porterfield R4S pads. Great street/light track day setup.
Honda uses DOT3, so switching to something like Motul RBF660 or Castrol SRF would probably help the mushy pedal. I plan on flushing my fluid with the Motul stuff once it gets warmer out.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda uses DOT3, so switching to something like Motul RBF660 or Castrol SRF would probably help the mushy pedal. I plan on flushing my fluid with the Motul stuff once it gets warmer out.
For those more price sensitive the Motul RBF 600 and Hawk HP 600 fluid are ones we have both used that work well for time attack sprints.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)

DYI01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2019 Nissan Titan, 2017 Yamaha FZ10
@Vincent@27WON Since you have experience with both the 10th and 11th gen civic brake systems. Do you know if 10th gen stainless steel brake lines will fit the 11th gens? I'm looking to upgrade the brake lines on my 11th gen Si.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
@Vincent@27WON Since you have experience with both the 10th and 11th gen civic brake systems. Do you know if 10th gen stainless steel brake lines will fit the 11th gens? I'm looking to upgrade the brake lines on my 11th gen Si.
Yesh they would work.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Anyone know how much brake fluid I need for a full flush? I have an HPDE session Friday and don't know how much to get.
I used just under 1 bottle of the Motul RBF600. I would get 2 just to be safe though. Have you swapped pads yet? As far as I'm aware the only option are the Carbotech ones. Hawk wont have pads until December at the earliest.

StickShiftRoy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 SGP Sport (sold), 22 BOP Si
I used just under 1 bottle of the Motul RBF600. I would get 2 just to be safe though. Have you swapped pads yet? As far as I'm aware the only option are the Carbotech ones. Hawk wont have pads until December at the earliest.
Good to know! I'm on stock pads at the moment, those will have to wait till next month unfortunately.
Sponsored