• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
Hello guys.

It is a blast to come back to discussion boards after so many years "offline"

I've been tuning cars now for almost 2 decades, professionally for about 14 years and counting. We are behind many local tuning groups and at this point we've been tuning over 5000 cars every year worldwide.

Why the f*ck am I saying that? Well... It all started in early to mid 2000's on honda boards such as honda-tech, pgmfi, and many others. Those boards led me into buying an old honda, that didn't work very we'll, and that got everything in motion.

That being said I am very thankfull to the people who were, and are willing to share valuable informaton in order to grow as a comunity, and since we've been in the shadows for so long makes this a good oportunity to retribute. At least I hope it does.

For a couple months now I've been waiting on the delivery of my new Championship white FL5 type R. It is sitting at the dealer right now since Honda Brazil has a very stupid policy that the car must sit 30 days at the dealer prior to delivery. I have 17 more days to go lol.

11th Gen Honda Civic An in-depth talk about FL5 ECU tuning WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 10.35.36

But that didn't stop us. Ever since the anouncement of the launch of the Fl5 I've been chasing every possible source to get my hands on every possible document into this ecu and calibration, and as they say, hard work pays off, lol, we got a bunch of good stuff in hands.

And since a couple FL5 were already delivered, we got the chance to get a baseline of the 295bhp BRDM tune on a customer car, and start from there. We did get to a P700 tune, but lets start with the basics:

We ARE NOT Using HONDATA for this. We are tuning at almost OEM level so we can live tune, and have access to every one of the tens of thousands of tables in the MED17.9.3 ECU

I've seen people talk about how complicated of an ecu this is. But honestly, it is the other way around. Honda did a great job tuning the car so every aspect of the tune was very well addressed, mostly using BOSCH functions, that are similar in every car manufacturer, unlike BMW for example that creates tons of proprietary functions to resolve issues that they failed to fix with brains.

The FL5 is tuned like a supercar is. Plain and simple. As it should be.

This is the baseline for the BRDM tune:
11th Gen Honda Civic An in-depth talk about FL5 ECU tuning WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 10.56.49 (1)

First test was to flash the JDM tune and make some logs, then tweak just the basics and do some more logs and we got the following results:

11th Gen Honda Civic An in-depth talk about FL5 ECU tuning WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 10.56.49 (4)

270 was the baseline, 295 on the JDM tune, 332 on a first test.

I was REALLY impressed to be honest. The main reason is many cars when we start raising the boost, we fall into areas of load and boost that were never calibrated in the first place, so weird things happen. But not in this case. The basis of the software is properly tuned and everything was smooth all the way.

This was the first tuned type R in the country, so we did not wanted to push too far. We kept the boost at 22-23 psi peak and tapering to 17-18 at the top. (I can provide logs for those who are interested). Our fuel is very good so that helps too, we have E27 at the pump, at around 102 oct.

We pushed a little harder, tweaked the timing, a little bit of cam tuning, a couple more pulls and we finished the day like this:
11th Gen Honda Civic An in-depth talk about FL5 ECU tuning WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 10.56.49 (9)

That is 70whp over stock on a bone stock car with reasonable boost. I love it.

Now for the process:

Usually when you press on the throttle, the car checks what driving mode you are in, then the gear you are in, then how far you have pressed the throttle pedal, then your current RPM, and calls for a specific torque value:

11th Gen Honda Civic An in-depth talk about FL5 ECU tuning ctr1

This for exemple, is 2nd gear, R-mode. If you press full throttle at 3000rpm that means you are calling for 483NM of torque at that moment.

But the car does not have 483NM from the factory, why?

Well, there are a series of limiters in between what your foot calls and what de engine delivers. I will try to simplify but not too much.

IIRC Hondata kinds of max this out in their base tune. Im not a big fan of this strategy.

Next one in line would be this one:

11th Gen Honda Civic An in-depth talk about FL5 ECU tuning ctr2

this % is based on a value of 600NM, so when we see 71.4442% torque limit, that means around 428NM of torque.
Hondata translates this into torque already for a better understanding, but they also max this table out on their base tune. I would never do that but whatever.

If you raise this value, the ECU will call for more torque, so more boost. This works for some time before you find boost limits.

Bosch ECUs have lots of single byte boost limiters, but most of them are set high enough for most of us, so I will not talk about them now.

But compaction ratio limits are very well modeled. There are 8 of them
11th Gen Honda Civic An in-depth talk about FL5 ECU tuning ctr4

They all look similar, and are all there to limit boost for various reasons. The keep the turbocharger from surging, overspeeding and etc. This are very important because if you only call for torque, imagine the struggle if you drive up into 10.000ft elevation and the car keeps trying to deliver the same torque.

I WOULD NOT max this out, in fact usually we raise all tables toghether bit by bit untill we get the car on spot. That helps keeping everything safe in various situations. This is specially good when you tune a car that will see different atmosferic conditions and you don't want any surprise.

Keep in mind Y axis is this case is atmosferic pressure, and the tabe values are not boost, but compaction ratio, which is roughly the relation between the pressure on the inlet tube and the turbo outlet.

I'll end the post here and get back to work. I have no Idea if this is of anyones interest. But if it is, we can go on and on.
Sponsored

Starchland

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Congrats on the new ride. Totally off topic, but what city are you in?
I was asking the salesman in 2022 about the new Type R but he didn’t have a clue. This was in Goiânia, Goias

OP
OP
Vito.FL5

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the car in Sao Paulo, but I live in Brasilia-DF

Goiania should receive a red one tomorrow, not sure if already sold.

For as little as 100K USD lol

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Congrats on the car and glad to see the aftermarket for the FL5 liven up. Competition is good.

OP
OP
Vito.FL5

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the car and glad to see the aftermarket for the FL5 liven up. Competition is good.
At this point I´m waiting for my car, lol, and for a ton of parts. As soon as they arive I will keep the topic updated.

I will be testing fueling limits on the MHI turbo, before I update to xdi parts + aem lpfp

will do 4P camshafts sometime soon also and FK8td ported manifold at some point too

plus a bunch of other parts, the goal is 420whp while keeping torque under 480nm since it is a track car.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
At this point I´m waiting for my car, lol, and for a ton of parts. As soon as they arive I will keep the topic updated.

I will be testing fueling limits on the MHI turbo, before I update to xdi parts + aem lpfp

will do 4P camshafts sometime soon also and FK8td ported manifold at some point too

plus a bunch of other parts, the goal is 420whp while keeping torque under 480nm since it is a track car.
Should be easily doable with the new turbo. Even with the stock one 360-380 is achievable with good torque without putting unnecessary strain for track duty. I will be doing a custom map for track duty once I get the Hondata.

OP
OP
Vito.FL5

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should be easily doable with the new turbo. Even with the stock one 360-380 is achievable with good torque without putting unnecessary strain for track duty. I will be doing a custom map for track duty once I get the Hondata.
Yes, I´m sure it will be easy to get to that power level. But on heavily tracked cars I like to keep the system as efficient as possible, hence airflow mods, high ethanol content and work to get there while keeping boost as low as possible.

i have a very bad habit of not leaving the track until I run out of fuel

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes, I´m sure it will be easy to get to that power level. But on heavily tracked cars I like to keep the system as efficient as possible, hence airflow mods, high ethanol content and work to get there while keeping boost as low as possible.

i have a very bad habit of not leaving the track until I run out of fuel
On the type R don’t try it, fuel starvation issues from the pickup at low fuel levels. And I understand from a efficiency standpoint. I would approach it a little more conservative even. Most of the gains you will find for making power won’t be with boost. But with timing added in the higher rev range. Increased timing at higher RPM’s also help with EGT’s. On that note I don’t know how technical the track is or if it has areas where you can stretch its legs. I recently went to sebring and the car could use more power on the straightaways. But also went to an auto x and even noticed that on the stock turbo its a bit laggy when coming out of tight corners on second gear. So a bigger turbo will make that even worse.

I would try what I’m going to do first since its the more sensible approach. Use the stock turbo to build a track specific map. I’m going to shoot for 340-350whp on the track map while maintaining boost as low as possible to reach that. And see how it does on track.

Also the car needs a oil cooler, its a must. Oil temps climb too quick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vito.FL5

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the type R don’t try it, fuel starvation issues from the pickup at low fuel levels. And I understand from a efficiency standpoint. I would approach it a little more conservative even. Most of the gains you will find for making power won’t be with boost. But with timing added in the higher rev range. Increased timing at higher RPM’s also help with EGT’s. On that note I don’t know how technical the track is or if it has areas where you can stretch its legs. I recently went to sebring and the car could use more power on the straightaways. But also went to an auto x and even noticed that on the stock turbo its a bit laggy when coming out of tight corners on second gear. So a bigger turbo will make that even worse.

I would try what I’m going to do first since its the more sensible approach. Use the stock turbo to build a track specific map. I’m going to shoot for 340-350whp on the track map while maintaining boost as low as possible to reach that. And see how it does on track.

Also the car needs a oil cooler, its a must. Oil temps climb too quick.
Yes, this car loves timing, even on just a tune, with pump 102 (E25 premium) the car took +6 up top with zero knock. On higher ethanol content should take a little more. To be honest all this new turbo hondas love timing IDK why the stock tune is so conservative.

I run surge tanks in every track car so fuel starvation will not be a problem.

I have bought the HEL oil radiator as well as the PRL intercooler. Should arive in a couple weeks (hopefully the custom agent doesn´t have a friend who owns a fl5 lol). Will wait on an alternative from koyo or mishimoto for an upgraded radiator since I believe the PWR one is a little bit overpriced. Keep in mind I pay over double value with customs fees. f*cking commies.

My benchmark is Interlagos, it is very technical but also demands lots of power. There is a big uphill and 340-350whp will not be enough to ride with the big boys. From past experience with other MHI "OEM+" turbos, I don´t think I´ll lose a lot of bottom end, but we´ll see soon.

Also when I have some spare time I´ll try to work on a multi map solution for all out laps.

It´s all for fun and games but the boys are going all out in the bimmers and 718´s and I dont plan to be on the rear view mirror.

OP
OP
Vito.FL5

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About oil temps, I´ve been looking at the oil temp functions for some time now, and I THINK that with a little assembly work I can get it to show data from a sensor, instead of a modeled value. lets see

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes, this car loves timing, even on just a tune, with pump 102 (E25 premium) the car took +6 up top with zero knock. On higher ethanol content should take a little more. To be honest all this new turbo hondas love timing IDK why the stock tune is so conservative.

I run surge tanks in every track car so fuel starvation will not be a problem.

I have bought the HEL oil radiator as well as the PRL intercooler. Should arive in a couple weeks (hopefully the custom agent doesn´t have a friend who owns a fl5 lol). Will wait on an alternative from koyo or mishimoto for an upgraded radiator since I believe the PWR one is a little bit overpriced. Keep in mind I pay over double value with customs fees. f*cking commies.

My benchmark is Interlagos, it is very technical but also demands lots of power. There is a big uphill and 340-350whp will not be enough to ride with the big boys. From past experience with other MHI "OEM+" turbos, I don´t think I´ll lose a lot of bottom end, but we´ll see soon.

Also when I have some spare time I´ll try to work on a multi map solution for all out laps.

It´s all for fun and games but the boys are going all out in the bimmers and 718´s and I dont plan to be on the rear view mirror.
I was considering that same one for the spool characteristics. We do think alike my friend.
Sponsored