• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Let's talk about oil filters and what might be the best filtering for the type R

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
I found this (older) oil filter study to be interesting (link at the bottom) and settled for the Purolator Pure one filter for the car that I was driving at the time; an Acura RSX type S... K20A2. I found the oil was still fairly clean looking after running about 7K miles. In other words it was a dark gold color (certainly good enough for my crappy lawnmower or an oil can). My comparison was in using Fram filters (which I thought was good) for my Toyota 4x4 pickup and that oil came out much darker after only 3-4K miles. I tried NAPA and Wix filters over time and they were certainly better than the Fram but probably not as good as the Purolator.

Oil used for reference was Mobil 1 pure synthetic.

I realize to keep the warranty intact, we may have to use a Honda filter, which is probably the best idea since they designed the car.
All that being said, which filters are you guys using and what do you think is the best for the FL5 type R?

https://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm
Sponsored

Last edited:

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
The OEM Honda filter has always served us well.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Zone47 Warranty won’t boil down to an oil filter as long as you’re using one that is specified to perform as good or better than OEM. But running the OEM filter should be entirely sufficient for most folks and is one less thing Honda could scrutinize if an engine warranty issue were to come up. Don’t overthink it unless maybe you’re going to track the car hard
but even then, I think you’re just looking at more oil change intervals and not necessarily a “special” filter. Perhaps @PointByPatrol has a tried and true filter he prefers for tracking.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
@Zone47 Warranty won’t boil down to an oil filter as long as you’re using one that is specified to perform as good or better than OEM. But running the OEM filter should be entirely sufficient for most folks and is one less thing Honda could scrutinize if an engine warranty issue were to come up. Don’t overthink it unless maybe you’re going to track the car hard
but even then, I think you’re just looking at more oil change intervals and not necessarily a “special” filter. Perhaps @PointByPatrol has a tried and true filter he prefers for tracking.
Factory filter only! I don't buy in to the "better filter" BS.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Factory filter only! I don't buy in to the "better filter" BS.
I know you recently scoped your cylinders too and they are still in beautiful condition with no signs of early/excessive wear. Case closed!

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Doesn't matter if you change regularly based on your use case. This one is not worth overthinking on.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
There are videos out there comparing OEM to aftermarket and OEM is always better.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I know you recently scoped your cylinders too and they are still in beautiful condition with no signs of early/excessive wear. Case closed!
This is true, though I did see sticky carbon deposits on my intake valves. Catch Can is a must!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
This is true, though I did see sticky carbon deposits on my intake valves. Catch Can is a must!
Right! Oil filter can’t do anything for carbon build up tho (other than the particles the oil grabs). Catch can is a must for HARD driving (i.e. tracking), but shouldn’t be needed for street driving
unless you’re a total maniac, yeah?😂
Sponsored