• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Oh well. Was a joke anyways. Car and Driver doesn't know that though. Fall back will be K20 Fit NA build if the Type R search goes to Hell. Or this beastly build. That sound.... 10:39 for the ballsy bits
That is nutty
Sponsored

GJPEN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru WRX STI
My only other option I ended up considering is the Mercedes CLA 45. It is at the high end of the budget but the most engaging car in the 4 door 45-65k bracket I could find outside of the GR Corolla and CTR. Was thinking about the GR Corolla but hard for me to get over the "Turd" shape even when dressed up. Second would be the RS3 but I have heard they just are not fun unless your pushing the hell out of the car. I want a car that still has engagement at 20 mph. That is very hard to find today.

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
My only other option I ended up considering is the Mercedes CLA 45. It is at the high end of the budget but the most engaging car in the 4 door 45-65k bracket I could find outside of the GR Corolla and CTR. Was thinking about the GR Corolla but hard for me to get over the "Turd" shape even when dressed up. Second would be the RS3 but I have heard they just are not fun unless your pushing the hell out of the car. I want a car that still has engagement at 20 mph. That is very hard to find today.
Sounds like a lighter car, like an MX-5, would be a winner for you.
RWD car with decent power:weight ratio will be fun and zippy at lower speeds. đź‘Ť

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want a car that still has engagement at 20 mph. That is very hard to find today.
I'm not sure you'd find that even in a CLA 45.

Sounds like a lighter car, like an MX-5, would be a winner for you.
RWD car with decent power:weight ratio will be fun and zippy at lower speeds. đź‘Ť
The only drawback is the how little space there is in one. We have to do a bit of Tetris in the trunk even for groceries for two. It's basically about 4 medium shopping totes across.

GJPEN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru WRX STI

The only drawback is the how little space there is in one. We have to do a bit of Tetris in the trunk even for groceries for two. It's basically about 4 medium shopping totes across.

This car has to be 4 doors or there would be some other options. In Chicago proper and this is my only car, I commute from City to Suburbs where my Business is. Would love a second car some day, but have a small child and not in the cards right now.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This car has to be 4 doors or there would be some other options. In Chicago proper and this is my only car, I commute from City to Suburbs where my Business is. Would love a second car some day, but have a small child and not in the cards right now.
If I were you, I'd look for a good Evo X tbh. The aluminum helps against the rust too. Or maybe a Ralliart Sportback, if you're willing to give up some bits of the drivetrain for more cargo room.

As for a new car, I wouldn't really know where to look in this segment anymore. :(

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
I think if the CTR can’t be attained, I would just get an ND Miata. Think it would be fun to put some coilovers and some nice wheels on it.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
I think if the CTR can’t be attained, I would just get an ND Miata. Think it would be fun to put some coilovers and some nice wheels on it.
It’s a good plan for a second car. Any weight reduction is magnified on the ND and coilovers tighten the car up nicely.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
It’s a good plan for a second car. Any weight reduction is magnified on the ND and coilovers tighten the car up nicely.
Luckily for me, this will be a garage toy, more than a dd, so if I was to get it, wouldn’t hurt losing space. Wonder how full headers/exhaust sound…

OP
OP
Toprarnen

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I've been looking at used 911s. The market has not been kind to used car prices, even on the 15+ year old luxury sports coupe side of things :(

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Luckily for me, this will be a garage toy, more than a dd, so if I was to get it, wouldn’t hurt losing space. Wonder how full headers/exhaust sound…
You'll certainly have plenty to choose from:

Our ND2 is the quiet one in the family, so stock it is for us.

I've been looking at used 911s. The market has not been kind to used car prices, even on the 15+ year old luxury sports coupe side of things :(
Especially with new Porsches being so hard to land, used prices will probably stay high for a while.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
It’s a great weekend toy! Goodwin Racing has good selection of headers and exhausts. People usually just change the muffler (axle back) at a minimum. Their headers can be paired with any non-Race muffler for power gain and more sound. The Race muffler by itself is loud enough (without adding header, midpipe).

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)

Miatas are the best, I daily drove mine for 5 years, and my parents daily drive their 2015. If you don't need back seats and can fit they're the best driver's car for under $50K

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miatas are the best, I daily drove mine for 5 years, and my parents daily drive their 2015. If you don't need back seats and can fit they're the best driver's car for under $50K
Oh yeah, absolutely agree. My wife and I are both pretty small too, so the interior feels very cozy.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
My backup plan currently is to keep driving my Si. Potential replacements are
Chevy Bolt (Cheap EV and I have free charging at work)
GR Corolla Core with Performance Pack
FK8
Focus RS (I almost bought one before my Si, but the market on them followed the FK8 and got outrageous.)
Sponsored