• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

spyderdrifter

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Kia Forte Koup
Might end up going with a GR86. Prefer coupe over sedan or hatch anyway, plus manual and rwd. Should be fun to drive and way cheaper for sure (and no massive dealer mark ups).
Sponsored

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone have any experience with the 2013-14 Audi TTRS?

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
What would you like to know? VW/Audi guy here.
Just seems like a pretty unique and fun car. 360hp 5 cylinder and manual. If this Type R thing doesn’t work out, just looking around for something different.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Just seems like a pretty unique and fun car. 360hp 5 cylinder and manual. If this Type R thing doesn’t work out, just looking around for something different.
Get the later-gen ones. The older ones weren't as reliable (older DSG's were known to have mechatronics issues etc). Given you are in the US, I would try for the current gen's TBH. Those things will be worth a boatload and are friggen amazing. Those will almost certainly be the last 5cyls Audi/VW will make ever. the new RS3 has been confirmed to be hybrid only.

The 2018 - 2021 RS3's, TTRS's are where I would focus for the best bang for your buck in terms of performance + reliability. The 2022+ models focused heavily on driving feel, corning and dynamics. Not just outright pocket rocket monsters like the 2018-2021's were.

I wanted to try to import the 2022+ RS3's but no dice :'(.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
That’s why drew my attention to the 13-14 TTRS, has all the AWD, 5-Cyl awesomeness of a new RS3, but with a manual.
Becareful almost all audi/VW manuals don't hold power well. They are only rated for stock power. Any additional power mods blow through the stock clutch quite easily.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
With a fast audi, I'd go DSG all the way.
Agreed DSG or ZF are amazing options. VW groups manuals are very meh, outside of Porche. They can be made to be quite good with the aftermarket, but hands down I would opt for the auto. Just not the early gen DSG's though.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
RS cars are great for launching and DSG is great at it. Mid 3's everytime. GTI manual isn't bad, its got a decent feel and fairly short. Rev hang is pretty awful and rev matching at lower speeds suck because it just doesn't respond.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
RS cars are great for launching and DSG is great at it. Mid 3's everytime. GTI manual isn't bad, its got a decent feel and fairly short. Rev hang is pretty awful and rev matching at lower speeds suck because it just doesn't respond.
The throws are too long IMO, and the feel is very meh. I always had to get the DG SIGMA 6 shifter for it to feel good. Had it on MK5/Mk6/MK7.5.
Still, nothing is as bad as the WRX garbage lol.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
The throws are too long IMO, and the feel is very meh. I always had to get the DG SIGMA 6 shifter for it to feel good. Had it on MK5/Mk6/MK7.5.
Still, nothing is as bad as the WRX garbage lol.
No clue if mine has a euro shifter. Its no way long and had a decent feel. Zero clutch feel though.

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If Toyota releases the GR86 with the GR Corolla engine, that'll probably be in the running (there're apparently some testbeds our there already, from Toyota)
I saw that news article and was super excited. If consumer demand can push Toyota into releasing a GR Supra in a manual, maybe we can get them to release a GR86 with more power.

With that said, which of the two would be subjectively better? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
  • GR86 with the GR Corolla engine
  • GR86 with the current boxer engine + HKS supercharger kit
Sponsored