• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I suppose we are all entitled to our own opinion...

Camry nor the Passat is on the quality of the Accord. I'm not really sure it is even close either. I would say the same for any other items in the class. I would also consider Mazda having a nice interior quality that is better than its competing German make.
i donno, i recently rode in a new accord and a camry how cheap and shitty interior felt.
Sponsored

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
I don't think it's super fair to look at "number of blown engines" as a metric for build quality. No engine is indestructible. What are these guys doing with them? Do a lot of KDM owners tend to do the same things?

Similar thing happened to Abarth 500 owners, and thankfully it's happening less now, due to massive price spikes during the shortage. Cars trading for $8k suddenly started getting trade offers from CarMax and Carvana for $12k+. People seem to be taking better care of them now.

Before 2020, I'd see posts every other day about someone blowing their engine, turbo, shafts, etc. The 1.4L USDM Multi-air doesn't have a ton of safe headroom. Tons of people bought their cars really cheap, and want to go fast and be loud for basically no money. They throw bolt-ons at their cars and slam shift at redline on every gear change. What do you think happens?

I can pretty much guarantee no Abarth that blew up did so under responsible ownership. KDMs are certainly made to a higher standard, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for them. Someone who broke their Stinger might have had something silly to prove to a Charger or the like lol

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I don't think it's super fair to look at "number of blown engines" as a metric for build quality. No engine is indestructible. What are these guys doing with them? Do a lot of KDM owners tend to do the same things?

Similar thing happened to Abarth 500 owners, and thankfully it's happening less now, due to massive price spikes during the shortage. Cars trading for $8k suddenly started getting trade offers from CarMax and Carvana for $12k+. People seem to be taking better care of them now.

Before 2020, I'd see posts every other day about someone blowing their engine, turbo, shafts, etc. The 1.4L USDM Multi-air doesn't have a ton of safe headroom. Tons of people bought their cars really cheap, and want to go fast and be loud for basically no money. They throw bolt-ons at their cars and slam shift at redline on every gear change. What do you think happens?

I can pretty much guarantee no Abarth that blew up did so under responsible ownership. KDMs are certainly made to a higher standard, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for them. Someone who broke their Stinger might have had something silly to prove to a Charger or the like lol
The issue with the blown engines in the VEL N is these were on stock tune. Otherwise the dealerships wouldn't warranty them.

Using Fiat as a counter point is.... not the best Fiat is another level of trash. I don't think anyone considers Fiat quality in anyway shape or form. If BF8's were blowing stock then we have a good counter point. But the 2J etc are all just benchmarks of trash IMO.

Regarding the stinger ironically, its not the engine. Its everything else. Rattles, electonics, plastics, leathers, lighting those were what started to go slowly after 6 months. Engine was... fine lol.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
He just hates on anything unless he brings it up first. He feels nothing? something tells me he needs some enhancement pills for the problem...

Model 3 performance would be a late stage car, the speed and convenience can't be beat especially when you get older and crime keeps skyrocketing.
You’re funny. Sounds like you know a lot about ED pills, must be an expert… but let’s get off you area of expertise and back on topic.

I like plenty of cars, but Teslas all look the same, the interiors look very plain and boring to me, minus the mega screen they throw in them, and their build quality seems all over the place to me.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
On a different topic, found a dealer expecting 2 new Supra MTs by end of the month, and they want $10k over. This is Rockwall Toyota in DFW.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
You’re funny. Sounds like you know a lot about ED pills, must be an expert… but let’s get off you area of expertise and back on topic.

I like plenty of cars, but Teslas all look the same, the interiors look very plain and boring to me, minus the mega screen they throw in them, and their build quality seems all over the place to me.
I went into a tesla store at my local mall, noted some panel gaps and gaps in the fender lights etc. The rep got so mad at me, told me if I was such an expert why don't I go ahead and fix it for them. I laughed and asked for his tools. Guy got even more pissed.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue with the blown engines in the VEL N is these were on stock tune. Otherwise the dealerships wouldn't warranty them.

Using Fiat as a counter point is.... not the best Fiat is another level of trash. I don't think anyone considers Fiat quality in anyway shape or form. If BF8's were blowing stock then we have a good counter point. But the 2J etc are all just benchmarks of trash IMO.
My point was that interior crapness aside (which KDM and FCA products definitely have in common), bad owners contributed a lot to Abarth 500's notoriety for power/drivetrain failures. FCA dealer incompetency also didn't help things. The bad rep, at least in my observations, didn't stem from the cars themselves.

And it's not an irredeemably bad car, considering that no one has sold a better sounding stock 4cyl in the US in the decade since it launched, and it still turns pretty decent MPG. If there was a "celebrity" engineer behind the Abarth 500, it'd be nearly the same story as the Veloster N, beat for beat.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
My point was that interior crapness aside (which KDM and FCA products definitely have in common), bad owners contributed a lot to Abarth 500's notoriety for power/drivetrain failures. FCA dealer incompetency also didn't help things. The bad rep, at least in my observations, didn't stem from the cars themselves.

And it's not an irredeemably bad car, considering that no one has sold a better sounding stock 4cyl in the US in the decade since it launched, and it still turns pretty decent MPG. If there was a "celebrity" engineer behind the Abarth 500, it'd be nearly the same story as the Veloster N, beat for beat.
I always liked the Arbath tbh, but I don't think it can ever outlive the Fiat legacy. Similar to Alfa, great cars in terms if design. Can't outlive the mountain of potential issues.

I don't know too much about the 500 to say one way or another regarding its legacy, but I think the little I know is that buying a FCA car is asking for a bad time.

I like to stick to my EDM bubble lol, first time venturing outside of my comfort zone with the GRC and FL5.

I think I've come to the conclusion I will grab a low milage CPO RS3 if I can't get either. Too bad I can't buy a new one :'(.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always liked the Arbath tbh, but I don't think it can ever outlive the Fiat legacy. Similar to Alfa, great cars in terms if design. Can't outlive the mountain of potential issues.

I don't know too much about the 500 to say one way or another regarding its legacy, but I think the little I know is that buying a FCA car is asking for a bad time.

I like to stick to my EDM bubble lol, first time venturing outside of my comfort zone with the GRC and FL5.

I think I've come to the conclusion I will grab a low milage CPO RS3 if I can't get either. Too bad I can't buy a new one :'(.
All of that is very true. FCA really shot itself in the foot on multiple occasions. I genuinely don't think anyone likes working on them, because the packaging is just so tight. Even routine stuff like changing spark plugs requires taking off the whole intake, pretty much. Dealer support is non-existent and parts aren't the easiest to find anymore, even though it wasn't even discontinued that long ago.

It is a great, fun, reliable little car if you can live with its... Quirks. But if we land an FL5, we're moving on too. Back to JDM the world for us.

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
odd cause i had two ps3's that yellow lighted. All that stuff about Japanese being more reliable out the door, everyone else has caught up. Besides as more tech goes in to cars, it doesn't matter Honda or Merc, there will be issues in the long run. Only Toyotas that are truely reliable are 4runners that hasn't' been updated in over a couple decade.
Tell that to my "hig
All of that is very true. FCA really shot itself in the foot on multiple occasions. I genuinely don't think anyone likes working on them, because the packaging is just so tight. Even routine stuff like changing spark plugs requires taking off the whole intake, pretty much. Dealer support is non-existent and parts aren't the easiest to find anymore, even though it wasn't even discontinued that long ago.

It is a great, fun, reliable little car if you can live with its... Quirks. But if we land an FL5, we're moving on too. Back to JDM the world for us.
This is my dream Fiat 500. Old one with bike engine swap.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my dream Fiat 500. Old one with bike engine swap.
That is wild. Even the current one, with its tiny wheelbase, is incredibly fun to toss around. Definitely not a precision machine like FK8, but very exciting in its own way.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
VERY Surprised it did so well on pretty MEH tires, also it looks like there is a great opp to get significant better times with better suspension + wider better tires.

Stock suspension seems kinda lack luster on twin tubes (eww).

Also I didn't know the rear space was that decent, I was expecting WAYYY worse LOL. I think GRC is moving up in my placement of things.

" Unique to Canada, the GR Corolla Core will come standard with heated front seats and front and rear Torsen® Limited Slip Differentials (LSD)."

LOL, sorry my American friends.

Last edited:

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
54k Canadian for the GRC, I’m guessing that is where the Type R will slot in. Not gonna lie, a few thousand more than I was hoping. If that’s what it will actually cost…
Sponsored