• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Brake caliper future replacement

Archangel-764

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R, Corrola hatch
I just got the type r but this is my 1st performance type of vehicle with performance brakes. I know the calipers dont need replaced for a while but where do I find replacement calipers? Seems like normal brand stores dont have the FL5 listed in their system. Also are there cheaper replacement options? I know they are gonna cost more than normal and Im ok with that but is there another brand that a better bang for you buck than these stock brembos? Im not planning on doing track days with this just spirited driving.
Sponsored

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
If you are not doing track days you should basically never have to replace the calipers - especially if you keep your car clean and regularly use it.

OP
OP

Archangel-764

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are not doing track days you should basically never have to replace the calipers - especially if you keep your car clean and regularly use it.
Guess that's another question is how long do these things last.? Im a clean freak when it comes to cars. Garage stored as well. At some point the pistons will seize up.

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
I have over 320k miles on my stock Brembo calipers on my ISF daily driver. You won't be changing the calipers anytime soon. I would worry more about changing the rotors and pads when the time comes.

OP
OP

Archangel-764

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have over 320k miles on my stock Brembo calipers on my ISF daily driver. You won't be changing the calipers anytime soon. I would worry more about changing the rotors and pads when the time comes.
damn, ok wasnt expecting that.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
BRAKE Caliper Future Replacement. : )

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Calipers are rebuildable. If you're not planning to track the car regularly, then I wouldn't worry about it. The seals on the stock calipers are exposed, and will eventually fail if they see excessively high heat on a regular basis.

Imped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 Golf R, ND2 Miata
You will wear out pads and rotors, possibly caliper guides...not the calipers themselves.

How much brake experience do you have?

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I just got the type r but this is my 1st performance type of vehicle with performance brakes. I know the calipers dont need replaced for a while but where do I find replacement calipers? Seems like normal brand stores dont have the FL5 listed in their system. Also are there cheaper replacement options? I know they are gonna cost more than normal and Im ok with that but is there another brand that a better bang for you buck than these stock brembos? Im not planning on doing track days with this just spirited driving.
Hate to break the news to you, but there is no better-bang-for-the-buck options for the front 4-piston Brembo caliper.

You'll be fine with spirited driving. To give you a rough idea, replacement parts (pads, rotors) are similar to aftermarket 4-piston Big Brake kits out there.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Honda sells oem rebuilt kits for the seals and the dust boots for the pistons. It’s all you will need
Sponsored