• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cheap Wheels Thread

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Apparently since the FL5, a few aftermarket like Volk, Titan, Enkei and BBS make OEM wheels for certain models
Enkei, Volk, BBS, OZ have been around the block for years but Titan, had no clue abt them.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, I know Enkei has made stock wheels for quite awhiiiiiile now. I didnā€™t know about the other manufacturers. Itā€™s interesting and makes sense nonetheless. The big names wouldnā€™t be able to financially survive by only catering to the aftermarket customersā€¦even though they may have started out that way.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Yeah, I know Enkei has made stock wheels for quite awhiiiiiile now. I didnā€™t know about the other manufacturers. Itā€™s interesting and makes sense nonetheless. The big names wouldnā€™t be able to financially survive by only catering to the aftermarket customersā€¦even though they may have started out that way.
That goes for the others as well. OZ, BBS, and RAYS have in the past or currently developed partnerships with auto manufacturers to provide wheels en masse for certain models.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Being made in China does not inherently mean that it is lower quality.

Also, I saw that you're interested in Apex wheels. Surprise, they're made in China.
Titan 7 have always been marketed as a forged alternative to Rays/Volk at a lower price. While they donā€™t hide that their product is made in China itā€™s definitely not emphasized.

I am interested in Apex for winter wheels as they are one of the few companies currently offering wheels in proper sizes and offsets for this purpose. They get the job done and they are safe for street use.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
BBS and BBS Japan are separate entities btw, same as Recaro and Recaro Japan. Thankfully all 4 still make good products although BBS has struggled quite a bit financially.

I thought we were talking cheap wheels? Where's my garbage $100 "rims" at?!

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
Titan 7 have always been marketed as a forged alternative to Rays/Volk at a lower price. While they donā€™t hide that their product is made in China itā€™s definitely not emphasized.

I am interested in Apex for winter wheels as they are one of the few companies currently offering wheels in proper sizes and offsets for this purpose. They get the job done and they are safe for street use.
The point of my post was to encourage you to not to discount a product merely from its country of origin.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
BBS and BBS Japan are separate entities btw, same as Recaro and Recaro Japan. Thankfully all 4 still make good products although BBS has struggled quite a bit financially.

I thought we were talking cheap wheels? Where's my garbage $100 "rims" at?!
I legit did not know about the BBS/Recaro thing, thanks for providing that insight.

The folks that run the FRS/BRZ/GT86/GR86 praise the Enkei RPF1ā€™s for their value, although Iā€™m not sure if they make a size that works for the FL5.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
The point of my post was to encourage you to not to discount a product merely from its country of origin.
Wheels are a statement mod for many enthusiasts. Iā€™m just saying I personally lost interest in them when I found out they were manufactured there. I prefer Rays or OEM - which could be manufactured by Titan 7 apparently!

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
man,
for some reason I thought Titan 7 were made in Taiwan...

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
man,
for some reason I thought Titan 7 were made in Taiwan...
If they are, Iā€™d give it a try. But not from China. Pass.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I'd be interested in hearing some of the reasoning behind all the China = low quality viewpoints that people seem to be having.

If a product has good reviews, performs as expected (or exceeds expectations) and has a proven track record, why does the country of origin matter? If people are unable to decouple quality from where it's manufactured, then there's some inherent bias that's honestly irrational IMO.

There's more to a product than where it's manufactured: design, engineering, QC, etc.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, China has become quite competent at manufacturing high quality things. Unfortunately it can be a mixed bag as there are certainly garbage manufacturers too. The really good manufacturers who know what theyā€™re doing often have engineering and QC based out of EU and other countries (in addition to their on-site resources). Just be very careful of knock-offs and buy from reputable sellers and youā€™ll be fine. If you refuse to buy things from China due to political reasons, well, thatā€™s fine tooā€¦but note that our cars are certainly filled with parts made in China.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Speaking of how difficult (impossible?) it is to find aftermarket 18ā€ or 19ā€ wheels with a +60 offset, it kinda made me realize that taking care of my stock 19ā€™s needs to be a top priority. I plan on keeping this car for a looooong time. I love the stock wheels too. Maybe I should just get a 2nd set and put larger tires on (for long road trips and such). I know at least one or two others here who have gone the route of larger tires on their stock set for daily use.šŸ¤”

After considering all the options and the stats, i am trying larger DWS 06s on the OEM 19s. I do like the wheels, so i am trying a slightly larger size for the winter in Illinois. I gain some sidewall and lose a bit of tread (which seems to be an okay trade-off in snow). I also gain a little bit of height off the ground for snow driving as well. So, i will see how i like it (or not)...or how much i notice it. 255/35R19
Will let y'all know.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Yeah, China has become quite competent at manufacturing high quality things. Unfortunately it can be a mixed bag as there are certainly garbage manufacturers too. The really good manufacturers who know what theyā€™re doing often have engineering and QC based out of EU and other countries (in addition to their on-site resources). Just be very careful of knock-offs and buy from reputable sellers and youā€™ll be fine. If you refuse to buy things from China due to political reasons, well, thatā€™s fine tooā€¦but note that our cars are certainly filled with parts made in China.
The China gray market is so extreme that you cannot trust any brand -- even USA. One of my clients was constantly playing wack-a-mole trying to stop all the fake products with their name on them...coming out of China.
Sponsored