• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43027
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 43027

My '23 Touring hatchback was tinted today—ceramic all around, including full windshield. I immediately noticed some damage to the car and other issues with the install. I don't want to overreact, so I'm wondering how others would try to address these things, if at all.

First, the body damage—a deep cut in the driver door pillar (probably from cutting the film) and gnarled trim on both rear doors (probably from a heat gun):

11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2866
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2863
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2864

Second, debris under / creases in the film, including two spots on the windshield directly in front of the driver:

11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2874
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2878
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2879
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2883

Finally, visible gaps and some jagged cuts around edges of the film:

11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2868
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2870
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2872
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2873
11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? IMG_2882

I think the tint shop should eliminate the debris/creases free of charge, then pay for replacing the damaged trim pieces. But is that too far? Not far enough?
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Damn. That sucks. Here’s how I approach these situations. I simply call the place and let them know there’s a problem. Calling them establishes a sense of urgency. From there, agree to a time you can bring the car back to the shop to show the manager. Go over the car together and point out all the issues. Let them know that it seems they did a rushed job and weren’t as careful with your car as you expected. The goal is to make them feel their guilt and say things like “I brought my car here based on the great reviews and I expected an amazing job. At minimum, my car shouldn’t have left your shop in worse condition than when I brought it in.” If they’re a reputable shop they’ll agree, understand your position, and ask “What can we do to make this right for you?” If you want them to redo everything and replace your damaged trim, then tell them that. Just be prepared to negotiate. Let them know the major things they should definitely fix and hold your ground. Obviously you have to be diplomatic. You don’t want them fixing anything on your car if they feel like you’re being an unreasonable a-hole.

Last edited:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
These things rarely go well if you don't have documented proof of the condition immediately before (at the shop) and immediately after (at the shop). It nearly always turns into a he said, he said. The proper resolution is for them to replace the panels they damaged, redo the unacceptable film areas, and apply a discount to the service for your troubles. Approach it calm, even, and with facts. Tell them what happened, show examples of each issue, and how you want it resolved.

Also, a note on the reputation of a shop. Checking reviews and seeing their work in person is one thing, but it's also good to know how they resolve disputes. I would venture to say 95% of ratings and reviews are predicated on happy path. You need to know how they react to exceptions, or when things go wrong. That will tell you much more than a rack of 5 star reviews or the permutations of "I won't let anyone touch my car but these guys!" Good luck and let us know how it goes.

AshSerigala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11-Gen Honda Civic Hatchback Sport-Touring
You honestly never really know what to expect with ANY shop. There's not one shop I've found that isnt a mix bag of mostly 5-star reviews, but a handful of ( with proof ) really horrible jobs or claims of damages. It just depends on the day, who was put to work on the car, if they're experienced or not, if they feel passionate about their work that day or not, is it near lunch time, etc. Even the shop I went through, I saw some complaints. But most were good. The application of tint was 100% A+. Not a single flaw. The edges were cut flawlessly, nothing is pealing, no bubbles, love it. No signs of marks around the tint film or anything. But. I did notice a scratch mark on the top of the passenger side door frame. A mark that, 100% looks like someone wearing a ring, would create, if they were to put a hand up there to aid in getting out of a low-sitting car like a civic. I can easily say no one whos ever sat in my car, has/own such a thing. And even my friend day ONE of showing him, saw that scratch and went 'Woah that was never there before' and I had no proof it didn't exist before the tint-job, so I didn't even bother trying to dispute it. Lost cause/claim if I have no photos before. Leasson learned I guess.

At this rate I shrugged it off and went Eh. I drive 10K miles of highway yearly. The amount of debris picked up from vehicles driving around me, its not gona be flawless forever.

But..you case? Yeah I'd be a bit livid about the literal chizzle marks in the plastic. I had like 50+ small bubbles/white-lines I could count when I left. But I was told give it 2 weeks and they'll go away -- If not, They will fully redo it for free. Sure enough. 2 weeks passed. Not a single bubble. Looked factory tinted glass. Was kinda impressed as I was extremely concerned with all the soap bubbles I saw day 1.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Computer cut helps alot of these places, but it costs some more most of the time. I watched mine cut on computer and install like a hawk and recorded them for IG.

Call them for sure, bad Google review if they don't work out something with you.

11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? 20231202_094526

11th Gen Honda Civic Damage and other issues with tint install, how would you react? 20231202_101920

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
Shocking lack of care(and talent). Sorry about your car

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
the most reputable shop in my town costs about double what some of the other shops charge. i'm sure experienced tint techs are hard to come by. i'm going to go with the expensive shop with all the good reviews when i tint my car.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Hope you get it resolved/corrected with the shop's help and understanding.
Sponsored