• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

DE5 HPD/JAS Motorsport TCR - What cooling modifications were done (comparison to the HPD FK8)?

OP
OP
Rhorn

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Now, regarding your last point. Jason Lewis has an ad hoc aux radiator solution that supposedly can handle the overheating issue even for tuned fk8s. A few guys have copied him with great results. Recently a Singaporean company started manufacturing a complete kit based on his design, but with a few (maybe critical) changes. Jason received a test unit that he's going to test on track next weekend. Meanwhile, I have also talked to an fk8 owner on ig that has this exact kit. He told me that at least now he can push for 1 full hot lap in Sepang Intl Circuit, but not 2 hahaha. And that's with all the cooling mods we can think of. So now I'm waiting for Jason's impressions before purchasing it because I'm worried their changes might have been for the worse.
Did you hear back from Jason Lewis?

OP
OP
Rhorn

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Yep. It worked!

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/alphadigitals-fk8-secondary-radiator-install.83468/post-1274831

He is running approximately 400whp and can do 20 min sessions without any cooldown laps. I'm getting one of those kits!
Wow thats great!

So it looks like he has an oil cooler on the drivers side and the radiator on the passenger side? Im guessing he already has the PW&R radiator and isn't using the stock one.

I've seen a few pictures of the FL5 with its bumper off and it doesn't look like you could install a secondary radiator in those areas. Even with the HEL oil cooler it mounts right onto the radiator instead of being in a similar area to the ones for the FK8. Maybe I'm wrong but its something I noticed.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Wow thats great!

So it looks like he has an oil cooler on the drivers side and the radiator on the passenger side? Im guessing he already has the PW&R radiator and isn't using the stock one.

I've seen a few pictures of the FL5 with its bumper off and it doesn't look like you could install a secondary radiator in those areas. Even with the HEL oil cooler it mounts right onto the radiator instead of being in a similar area to the ones for the FK8. Maybe I'm wrong but its something I noticed.
He has 2 oil coilers, one on each side. The aux radiator sits in front of the main radiator. He has another small aux radiator back in the hood scoop. His hood is similar to the stock hood and his main radiator is OEM (really!!). Oh and he's quite fast, holds a few records on the west coast tracks. I have seen so many people trying so many different setups, it's actually a relief we now have a solid solution.

All oil cooler kits for the fk8 that sit in front of the radiator (similar to the HEL kit for the FL5) are known to shift the problem back to hot coolant. A friend of mine is now mounting an aux radiator on the driver side of his FL5, using air from his brake ducts. I hope it works.

OP
OP
Rhorn

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
He has 2 oil coilers, one on each side. The aux radiator sits in front of the main radiator. He has another small aux radiator back in the hood scoop. His hood is similar to the stock hood and his main radiator is OEM (really!!). Oh and he's quite fast, holds a few records on the west coast tracks. I have seen so many people trying so many different setups, it's actually a relief we now have a solid solution.

All oil cooler kits for the fk8 that sit in front of the radiator (similar to the HEL kit for the FL5) are known to shift the problem back to hot coolant. A friend of mine is now mounting an aux radiator on the driver side of his FL5, using air from his brake ducts. I hope it works.
Wow thats great, I wonder how he has an aux radiator in the hood scoop lol. Thats a pretty rad design though, and yeah thats great news.

Oh I didn't know that. I wonder what aux radiator he is using, is it the Golf R one that you've been talking about? Hopefully it works.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Wow thats great, I wonder how he has an aux radiator in the hood scoop lol. Thats a pretty rad design though, and yeah thats great news.

Oh I didn't know that. I wonder what aux radiator he is using, is it the Golf R one that you've been talking about? Hopefully it works.
It's just the mishimoto secondary radiator mounted in a different location. Here you can see his setup with the small aux radiator behind the engine: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...time-modification-tracking.43196/post-1211635

My friend is using a VW Tiguan OEM aux radiator for his project. The Golf R is not sold here, so he chose a similar OEM part that he could source locally. He's installing it in series with the MTF heat exchanger (before it, actually), which is quite interesting for a few reasons. My concern is using the brake duct airflow for that. On the FK8 it's easier because you can just replace the fake vents garnish with real vents from ebay.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Not sure if this was posted

Attachments

OP
OP
Rhorn

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Not sure if this was posted
Its already been posted 😉

The ITS TCX is going debut next year at TC America, I went to an event this year and it was great. Next year the event at the local track here will be early in the season as opposed to it being late like this year. Definitely going to go and get a bunch of pictures I'm really interested in how this is setup since the last Civic TCX was really a Frankenstein car.

OP
OP
Rhorn

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Savaegesse just posted a new video about the GR Corolla. He interviewed a shop that is using it as a track car. Apparently the GRC in stock form also overheats and needs an oil cooler.

One thing thats interesting is that the shop owner claims that the oil temps reached 290F at Road America. With their oil cooler he claimed the oil is down to the 240 range. Interesting that a simple oil cooler seems to alleviate the issue whereas with the FK8 you need like 2 AUX radiators+ 2 oil coolers lol.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Savaegesse just posted a new video about the GR Corolla. He interviewed a shop that is using it as a track car. Apparently the GRC in stock form also overheats and needs an oil cooler.

One thing thats interesting is that the shop owner claims that the oil temps reached 290F at Road America. With their oil cooler he claimed the oil is down to the 240 range. Interesting that a simple oil cooler seems to alleviate the issue whereas with the FK8 you need like 2 AUX radiators+ 2 oil coolers lol.

Yup. That's the benefit of a traditional exhaust manifold instead of a headifold design.

OP
OP
Rhorn

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Yup. That's the benefit of a traditional exhaust manifold instead of a headifold design.
The GR Corolla has a similar headifold design just like all of the other turbo I4s. Its rare to see I4s with the traditional design nowadays.

Tbf it could just be a bit of marketing and I guess his statement isn't gospel. Hes just one driver compared to the many FK8 owners so its a bit wrong to assume that statement is solid as there is alot of ambiguity when it comes to these types of cars overheating.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
The GR Corolla has a similar headifold design just like all of the other turbo I4s. Its rare to see I4s with the traditional design nowadays.
Wait, I found many pictures of the turbo/exhaust manifold online, like this aftermarket one:

https://www.ichiban.engineering/product-page/gr-yaris-gr-corolla-g16e-gts-g25-turbo-manifold

This means it's not a headifold.

st be a bit of marketing and I guess his statement isn't gospel. Hes just one driver compared to the many FK8 owners so its a bit wrong to assume that statement is solid as there is alot of ambiguity when it comes to these types of cars overheating.
Yeah, absolutely.
Sponsored