• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

๐Ÿš€ tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Hi all,

This thread will serve as the build journal for my FL5. The car will be moderately modified with the aim to upset higher hp cars on track (namely BMW's) however also serve as a road registered vehicle that I can drive daily. The build philosophy is OEM+, I generally try to maintain the use of OEM parts as much as possible with most of my builds.

Currently, the modifications are as listed (*updated* April 2024)

Engine:
Stock
Motul 0W30 8100 Eco-Clean

Transmission:
Stock
Honda MTFIII

Brakes:
Stock
Motul RBF700 Fluid (was running RBF600 but still suffered fade - perhaps more a brake pad thing than the fluid itself, yet to test the 700)
Update: 13th Nov 2023 - RBF700 tested on track, along with Titanium brake shims for the front pads - very impressed. Pedal was solid the entire time. Brakes suffered no fade consistently pulling over 1G at the main braking zone going into T2 - SMSP (~190km/h down to ~70km/h) At this stage I am very impressed with the capability of the stock pads. They've been through 4 full track days now with plenty of mode push laps and still have over 50% thickness remaining. Friendly on the rotors too.
*Update April 2024
Now on Paragon Front Rotors and Project Mu HC-CS (yet to be track tested - will update with findings soon)

Exhaust:
Stock with centre (larger) resonator deleted
Fuse mod (flap always open)

Suspension:
FL5 Spoon Springs with Custom TLR shim positioned on the rear between the upper spring insulator and the body to level out the ride height
Hardrace FK8 Front Camber Balljoint w/ custom made camber shims, strut pin removed and strut top positioned to max negative.
Eibach Rear Upper Camber Arm

*Update April 2024
Now on Tein Mono Racing Coilovers
9kg Front Springs
10kg Rear Springs
-25mm ride height from factory

Alignment:
Camber FR -3.5ยฐ, RR -2.5ยฐ (was -2.7ยฐ, -2ยฐ)
Combined Toe FR 0mm, RR +1.5mm (was 0, +2mm)

*Update April 2024
CAMBER
FR: -3.7ยฐ
RR: -2.6ยฐ
TOE (Combined)
FR: 0mm
RR: +1mm (0.5mm each side)

Wheels and Tyres:
TE37SL PG 18x9.5 ET45
CE28SL BR 18x9.5 ET42
TE37 SAGA S-Plus 18x10 ET40
275/35R18 RE71RS

Body:
Rear Wiper Deleted

My fastest lap times currently at various circuits are:
Sydney Motorsport Park GP 1:46.01 (LogR) (Note: Completely stock car only with wheels and tyres)
Winton Motor Raceway Full Circuit 1:34.88 (Natsoft) (Note: Stock springs, FK8 Ball Joint)
Luddenham Raceway 51.9 (LogR)

Update April 2024
Sydney Motorsport Park GP 1:44.44

I will keep this thread updated as best as possible with modifications and speed secrets that I discover along the way. The aim is to knock those pesky BMW's off the top of the time sheets.

11th Gen Honda Civic ๐Ÿš€ tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal 346032127_757148959298523_2789873774489061218_n

11th Gen Honda Civic ๐Ÿš€ tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal 2024-03-31__00.16.28

11th Gen Honda Civic ๐Ÿš€ tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal IMG-20240331-WA0009
Sponsored

Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I'm excited to follow your build. You seem super knowledgeable about setting up a track car that's still practical. Thanks for sharing so much already!

Last edited:

Midori Garage

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG4, AP2, FL5
Im curious about the rear spring shim. I havenโ€™t seen a reverse rake before with Spoon springs.

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm excited to follow your build. You seem super knowledgeable about setting up a track car that's still practical. Thanks for sharing so much already!
Thanks for your kind words. Gone are the days where I would turn a car into something so extreme that I can't enjoy driving normally. I want the speed, and I want the practicality. ๐Ÿ˜…

Im curious about the rear spring shim. I havenโ€™t seen a reverse rake before with Spoon springs.
I would say every FL5 fitted with Spoon springs are exhibiting around an 8-10mm reverse rake (rear being lower) if it were to be measured on a perfectly level surface. I'm still currently working with a fabrication shop to make them sit perfect in the body recess, as the surface is not perfectly flat.

11th Gen Honda Civic ๐Ÿš€ tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal 20230627_174558

11th Gen Honda Civic ๐Ÿš€ tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal 20230627_174451

Last edited:

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Have you calibrated your ride height sensors after lowering the car? Most FK8 people didn't bother doing it, but our suspension is not that overdampened from factory.

BTW, can you post onboard videos of your track outings? I could bet I'm not the only one that enjoy watching those =)

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Have you calibrated your ride height sensors after lowering the car? Most FK8 people didn't bother doing it, but our suspension is not that overdampened from factory.

BTW, can you post onboard videos of your track outings? I could bet I'm not the only one that enjoy watching those =)
I have not, but it would be a good thing to do for sure!

Here's some videos on my youtube channel :)

-
A good one making an NA K series sing

Last edited:

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
Do you have a rear camber kit installed? I have a set of Spoon springs but haven't installed them yet and was wondering what kind of camber the rears would be at after the drop. Ideally I'd like to have both front and rear around the same as I don't track the car as of yet.

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2017 Civic SI x2
sik! Australia has some nice tracks!!!

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Do you have a rear camber kit installed? I have a set of Spoon springs but haven't installed them yet and was wondering what kind of camber the rears would be at after the drop. Ideally I'd like to have both front and rear around the same as I don't track the car as of yet.
Running stock arms. Rear camber went from -1.3ยฐ to around -2ยฐ after installing the Spoon springs (depends on fuel load).

If you pull the front strut pins out you'll be at around -1.8ยฐ which should bring front to rear reasonably close. However I always prefer to run more front camber so I'd recommend getting the camber adjustable front ball joint regardless.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Have you tracked your car with the stock wheels? Have you noticed any difference in handling when you increased both track widths by 30mm due to the different wheel offsets?

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Have you tracked your car with the stock wheels? Have you noticed any difference in handling when you increased both track widths by 30mm due to the different wheel offsets?
I haven't - as I intend on keeping the stock tyres in ideal condition for normal street driving. But I am running 20mm spacers under the stock wheels at the moment on the road and I can't say there is a huge difference in handling between ET60 and effectively ET40. Perhaps a tiny bit extra torque steer but nothing too significant.

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Body: Rear Wiper Deleted
What kit did you use for the rear wiper delete? I did not notice it in the pics or vids but may have overlooked it.
Sponsored

Last edited: