• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

🚀 tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
What kit did you use for the rear wiper delete? I did not notice it in the pics or vids but may have overlooked it.
I used a MK7.5 Golf R Kill All Wipers kit (from the UK). But I suspect the FK8 kit would work better as the Golf R plug is slightly too small for the hole in the rear windscreen.
Sponsored

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I used a MK7.5 Golf R Kill All Wipers kit (from the UK). But I suspect the FK8 kit would work better as the Golf R plug is slightly too small for the hole in the rear windscreen.
Preciate it, I've been looking at the kill all wipers FK8 kit but didn't want to pay the international shipping and it not work. But, they have the best wiper delete kits imo.

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Preciate it, I've been looking at the kill all wipers FK8 kit but didn't want to pay the international shipping and it not work. But, they have the best wiper delete kits imo.
I actually bought the FK8 kit afterwards but haven't installed it cause I think I stuck the Golf R kit on too well with Sikaflex - it wont budge! In fear of breaking the glass I think its there to stay now :D
They are indeed the best looking kit. I like the seemless/flush look over the PRL style plugs that sit proud of the screen.

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I actually bought the FK8 kit afterwards but haven't installed it cause I think I stuck the Golf R kit on too well with Sikaflex - it wont budge! In fear of breaking the glass I think its there to stay now :D
They are indeed the best looking kit. I like the seemless/flush look over the PRL style plugs that sit proud of the screen.
Agreed, and the white PRL logo turns me off. Kind of defeats the point of doing the delete imo.

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do sneakers count if I put wheels on them?
How are the RE71RS compared to PS4S? I have an ITS and I'll eventually look at new summers to replace stock. Would love to find some more traction before I add any meaningful power.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
How are the RE71RS compared to PS4S? I have an ITS and I'll eventually look at new summers to replace stock. Would love to find some more traction before I add any meaningful power.
I believe the RE71RS is even more extreme than the Cup 2 tire, so it should have more grip than the PS4S.

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the RE71RS is even more extreme than the Cup 2 tire, so it should have more grip than the PS4S.
Thanks! I couldn't get a straight answer searching around. I still lose traction in 3rd gear on the ITS occasionally but have to generally be very careful in first two gears with ps4s.

My old car was K20A so didn't have nearly as much torque or power but definitely was more fun in first two gears with 205/45r17 Dunlop Dirreza Z1 Star Spec because it just won't let go of the pavement unless it's wet. I actually managed to snap a driveshaft shop axle and a stock rsx axle in a couple turns in there, though I think first was a manufacturing defect (rated 500whp) and second had rust.

Getting out of a corner in 2nd right now requires a lot to care and doesn't pull as hard. Will definitely look at RE71RS on 18" rims once stock tires are done. Not sure what I'd do with the 19s though since tire choices are limited.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
I have the RE71RS on 18’s and recently put factory rims and tires back on while I get the rims cleaned up. Here is a direct comparison:
PS4S on factory 19” wheels:
- tire noise is minimal
- steering feel and responsive is immediate
- tire grip limit is finicky when going over changes in surface grip. Example, expansion strips filled with tar or whatever it is upsets the car

275 section width RE71RS on 18” wheels
- more tire noise
- feel and responsiveness on turn in is mushy
- grip limit is higher and the tire gives more warning before it breaks away. More stable

Final impressions. If u want a better performing tire and don’t mind giving up some comfort and can accept the mushy feel than the RE71RS is way easier to push hard in the corners and is confidence inspiring.
If you will not be pushing the limits of traction in a corner and want quieter and more lively handling than the factory tire is for you. Note, the PS4S is superior in heavy downpour rain as well.

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I would say they are comparable in terms of grip on the road - as the RS's wont ever get into the temperature range for them to work at their optimal level on the road. If you were to upgrade to them with the intent on being better able to put power down when you're street driving I think you'll be disappointed - unless you have a set of tyre warmers!
On track however, its a good 2 seconds faster on a 1:45 min track than the PS4's.
IMO the RE71RS are the best track and street tyre available on the market at the moment.
They perform well in the wet, and are very quiet compared to say A050, they also don't require quite as much camber as a yokohama A052, all good things for a road going vehicle.

I have the RE71RS on 18’s and recently put factory rims and tires back on while I get the rims cleaned up. Here is a direct comparison:
PS4S on factory 19” wheels:
- tire noise is minimal
- steering feel and responsive is immediate
- tire grip limit is finicky when going over changes in surface grip. Example, expansion strips filled with tar or whatever it is upsets the car

275 section width RE71RS on 18” wheels
- more tire noise
- feel and responsiveness on turn in is mushy
- grip limit is higher and the tire gives more warning before it breaks away. More stable

Final impressions. If u want a better performing tire and don’t mind giving up some comfort and can accept the mushy feel than the RE71RS is way easier to push hard in the corners and is confidence inspiring.
If you will not be pushing the limits of traction in a corner and want quieter and more lively handling than the factory tire is for you. Note, the PS4S is superior in heavy downpour rain as well.
I agree that the steering is a tad less responsive from the centre point - but this will nearly always be the case when increasing the aspect ratio of a given tyre. I would say if it were an apples to apples comparison (ie same tyre size on same rim dia/width) the RS's will be a step above PS4's in response, and several steps above in terms of outright grip on track. Where is loses out is road noise.

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this insight. Much appreciated.

Based on some reviews, it didn't seem like RE71RS needed much warming up for a lot of grip. Only tires I remember being able to do that were ones that can get greasy when hot and should be stored indoors in winter. So this is interesting first hand experience.

I may need to play with pressure and contact patch on what I have a bit more.

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for this insight. Much appreciated.

Based on some reviews, it didn't seem like RE71RS needed much warming up for a lot of grip. Only tires I remember being able to do that were ones that can get greasy when hot and should be stored indoors in winter. So this is interesting first hand experience.

I may need to play with pressure and contact patch on what I have a bit more.
The thing about tyre reviews is that they're only ever reviewing the tyres brand spanking new, and in their specific conditions and in the alignment set up of the vehicle they're testing it on. The issue with doing it this way is you often dont extract the maximum available performance out of the tyre, and thus results in an inaccurate comparison - certain tyres need more camber to work well.

The RS's do need a bit of heat to work well, unlike the PS4's which are within their peak operation window from the word go. To achieve this characteristic the PS4's are ultimately compromised in terms of outright grip and get "greasy" very quickly on track.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Progress has been a bit slow due to other commitments and life things.

But a small development I've worked with a local engineering shop to produce is custom offset flip chips for the Hardrace front camber ball joints.
The ball joints as they come from Hardrace offer full degree increments to camber adjustments ie. 0°, -1°, -2°.
The ones in the upper row are the 0/-2° pieces compared to the -1.5° custom made pieces on the bottom row.
This should allow me to run -3.2° front camber while keeping the strut positioned all the way in to maximise tyre to fender clearance.

11th Gen Honda Civic 🚀 tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal 20230901_194701

Additionally, the Spoon spring spacers have been officially developed.
Fitting them results in a perfectly level wheel arch gap on all FL5's with the Spoon springs.
Send me a DM if you wish to purchase a pair, thankfully they are very light weight so international shipping should be reasonably priced.

11th Gen Honda Civic 🚀 tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal IMG-20230902-WA0002

11th Gen Honda Civic 🚀 tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal IMG-20230902-WA0003

11th Gen Honda Civic 🚀 tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal received_676121867735630

11th Gen Honda Civic 🚀 tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal RevD

11th Gen Honda Civic 🚀 tezzasaurusrex - Build Journal 20230910_174605

Last edited:

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Progress has been a bit slow due to other commitments and life things.

But a small development I've worked with a local engineering shop to produce is custom offset flip chips for the Hardrace front camber ball joints.
The ball joints as they come from Hardrace offer full degree increments to camber adjustments ie. 0°, -1°, -2°.
The ones in the upper row are the 0/-2° pieces compared to the -1.5° custom made pieces on the bottom row.
This should allow me to run -3.2° front camber while keeping the strut positioned all the way in to maximise tyre to fender clearance.

20230901_194701.jpg
Wont that kind of camber eat up your fronts?

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
It does decrease tire life since it wears differently, but it helps so much with track duty since it prevents the tire from rolling over when cornering. Best practice is to find a balance.

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The key is the front toe needs to be accurately zero'd out (ie no toe in or out).
I've been running -2.7° and have not observed any excessive inner shoulder wear.

As jester04 pointed out, it is game of balance.
Sponsored