• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mechanic Newbie: What do I need to get started?

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
Hey guys. I’m planning to track my car. I’m guessing it’ll be important to be able to rotate tires, change brake fluid, and change pads myself. I literally don’t have anything at this point to do that.

Looking for recommendations on tools, and how to’s, to include how to even jack up the CTR. I appreciate any help you can give me!
Sponsored

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Hey guys. I’m planning to track my car. I’m guessing it’ll be important to be able to rotate tires, change brake fluid, and change pads myself. I literally don’t have anything at this point to do that.

Looking for recommendations on tools, and how to’s, to include how to even jack up the CTR. I appreciate any help you can give me!
This is my situation currently. Its been expensive but I think it'll be worth the investment.

I bought alot if these during fathers day sale. I got the DeWalt 100 piece mechanics tool set at Costco. I then bought a 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch digital torque wrench. I got an electronic impact gun, and an electronic tire inflator. From seeing videos of more experienced guys it seems like they are using the Milwaukee impact gun, so I might have messed up on that.

I bought the brake bleeder kit from Speedi-bleed.

The only left up on my list is to get a set of quickjacks, the Daytona low profile jack and the OBD tool to deal with the E-brake. I think you'll also need to buy some sort of brembo pins for the brakes to swap out the pads.

Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link

First thing welcome to the wonderful and horrible world of working on your car. You will have a sense of pride and accomplishment when you get a job done. Cursing and beers in between are mandatory. First thing to buy is a good Quality car Jack. Then you can get a basic tool kit like @Rhorn said from home depot or Lowes. Anything else will come with time. I might start doing some youtube videos to help out newer people do this.

Last edited:

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Opinions or thoughts on getting a cordless ratchet? Seems so much useful (as a general too not just for cars) being able to just quick loosen tight bolts without having to go hulk mode. I've seen some people use them on DIY jobs and it seems like it would be great.

I've noticed a lot of guys are using Milwaukee, idk if thats because of sponsors or what but it seems like thats the gold standard when it comes to power tools since its the most commonly used ones and its not super cheap.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Opinions or thoughts on getting a cordless ratchet? Seems so much useful (as a general too not just for cars) being able to just quick loosen tight bolts without having to go hulk mode. I've seen some people use them on DIY jobs and it seems like it would be great.

I've noticed a lot of guys are using Milwaukee, idk if thats because of sponsors or what but it seems like thats the gold standard when it comes to power tools since its the most commonly used ones and its not super cheap.
No need to get a fancy one, one from amazon will work for most people. Don’t use to it to torque stuff just for quick tightening.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Just a heads up, tons of stuff are on sale so its a good time to look around. Just bought the Daytona Jack stands for $27 (54% off) and there are a lot of cordless ratchets and other tools on sale over on amazon if you want one.

I've been eyeing the quick jacks for almost half a year now and they still haven't been on sale lol.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Thoughts on this addition?
Seems like it would be useful

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Thoughts on this addition?
Seems like it would be useful
Not keen on leaving the car up for extended periods of time with a floor jack. But could be an extra layer of insurance if you're just lifting it up for a short period of time and paranoid about catastrophic failure, to swap out a wheel or plug up a tire, etc. Unfortunately, won't work on my narrow 1.5-ton unless I trim the bracket.

OP
OP
spectre186

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
Where are the recommended jacking points and jack stand points on the CTR?

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Not keen on leaving the car up for extended periods of time with a floor jack. But could be an extra layer of insurance if you're just lifting it up for a short period of time and paranoid about catastrophic failure, to swap out a wheel or plug up a tire, etc. Unfortunately, won't work on my narrow 1.5-ton unless I trim the bracket.
Yes, it would only be to change wheels for the season. Additional assurance. I guess I need to check how this would fit my floor jack.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Where are the recommended jacking points and jack stand points on the CTR?
You can place the stands on the standard four corners (look for the pinch welds). Jacking points are that, plus center front (should be an obvious cutout in the underbody shroud and somewhere near the rear diffuser. Don't have an FL5 but someone can chime in.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes, it would only be to change wheels for the season. Additional assurance. I guess I need to check how this would fit my floor jack.
Yea, I say it wouldn't hurt. As long as both ends of the jack rod can clamp on to the floor jack, and the jack is wide enough to accept the jack rod bracket, should be good.