• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Its a dead conversation because nobody cares. All eyes on honda news, potential mods and keeping patience.
Sponsored

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
just saying, Honda didnt stated what tires they used for Suzuka record, and there is possibility they put Cup2C on it, have a look at this media photo. the sidewall is different from Honda Ver. ps4s and the aftermarket ver. ps4s. It looks really like Cup2c sidewall, just checkout Tirerack page, you will see the resemblance. the 2nd photo shown is besopke ps4s and aftermarket version.
1664054670102.png

1664055268146.jpeg

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/all-new-2023-civic-type-r-sets-new-suzuka-circuit-lap-record-šŸ.50631/
and when the record is released, media photo shows there are both red Recaro seats , but suddenly the passenger red seat is gone in some photo, you can download 4K photo on Honda press release website. it looks more like a pre production vehicle, we dont exactly know how stock it is, just like the fk8 nurburgring record, they later admitted they delete rear seat and put cup2 on it. OTOH the fk8 LE time seems more legit with proper cup2, lighter BBS wheel and more aggressive damper setting to support that extra grip
1664055706413.png
Just another example of why people shouldn't hold track records at face value. Every manufacturer bends the rules on what is "stock" when setting these records and its never the same build you will see at dealerships.

What I'm most excited for with the FL5 is the upgraded cooling and exterior/interior

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Just another example of why people shouldn't hold track records at face value. Every manufacturer bends the rules on what is "stock" when setting these records and its never the same build you will see at dealerships.

What I'm most excited for with the FL5 is the upgraded cooling and exterior/interior
That and digital gauge cluster! Interior is such a big improvement- the whole thing is upgraded really.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
He touches on how he feels like this might be the last one (ICE Type R). He mentions how it feels deliberate and made with purpose.
He also refers to electrification of new cars from 2035 a couple times and how he grew up in a good era.

I cant help but feel bad for the future of car enthusiasts. I'll be buying this car for my sons (both under 10) as much as myself.
agreed, definitely handing this down to my 5 year oldsā€¦

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
It's not an apples-to-apples comparison to compare different cars' spring rates like that, you have to account for motion ratios based on suspension geometry in the cars, which are different.
Motion ratios for MacPherson strut suspensions is all very close to 1. Motion ratio of the ITR is about 1.5:1. If you want to stick to MacPherson strut suspensions, that's fine but again the FK8 CTR spring rate is still quite low for a performance application. It's still the reason why the car bounces so severely during longer turns in addition to the 30 profile tires they decided to equip the FK8 with. The FL5 gets slightly taller sidewall 265/30/19 profile tires but we're not 100% sure here if this is the same problem or if the electronics also kicked in to exacerbate the bounce problem. First thing anyone should do for their track set of wheels though is downsize the wheels to 18" and get more sidewall.

Last edited:

DKwen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
Its a dead conversation because nobody cares. All eyes on honda news, potential mods and keeping patience.
just thought you interests in the track performance because you bringed up Suzuka. if you dont that's fine

yep Rhorn has put it in a better way, just try to say that very few record-attempted car, at least they look like, is totally a production-ready car. Behind the scene, no one can really tell if they switch the ecu, give it more camber or etc. But some manufactures just busted you know.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
just saying, Honda didnt stated what tires they used for Suzuka record, and there is possibility they put Cup2C on it, have a look at this media photo. the sidewall is different from Honda Ver. ps4s and the aftermarket ver. ps4s. It looks really like Cup2c sidewall, just checkout Tirerack page, you will see the resemblance. the 2nd photo shown is besopke ps4s and aftermarket version.
1664054670102.png

1664055268146.jpeg

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/all-new-2023-civic-type-r-sets-new-suzuka-circuit-lap-record-šŸ.50631/
and when the record is released, media photo shows there are both red Recaro seats , but suddenly the passenger red seat is gone in some photo, you can download 4K photo on Honda press release website. it looks more like a pre production vehicle, we dont exactly know how stock it is, just like the fk8 nurburgring record, they later admitted they delete rear seat and put cup2 on it. OTOH the fk8 LE time seems more legit with proper cup2, lighter BBS wheel and more aggressive damper setting to support that extra grip
1664055706413.png
Sidewalls look thicker on the FL5 with aftermarket wheels (265/35R18) because they are. OE FL5 tires are 265/30R19. Rarely do people swap wheels to the same size as OE on the CTR.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
1664054670102.png

1664055268146.jpeg

1664055706413.png
That seems like a slightly conspiratorial take on it. When you say they ā€œlater admittedā€ the weight adjustment, that makes it sound like they first tried to hide something and were later forced to say it. In actuality, the roll cage and Cup 2 tires were in the official press release. They were quite up front about how the roll cage added weight and they removed stuff to get the weight back to the stock range. Thatā€™s totally fair considering you need the roll cage for safety particular after some serious accidents in other Honda prototypes.

For the photo with no visible seat, how do you know the missing seat isnā€™t just reclined? Thatā€™s often done to give a better view for an onboard camera. Is there an actual photo showing a bare floor?

Last edited:

DKwen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
That seems like a slightly conspiratorial take on it. When you say they ā€œlater admittedā€ the weight adjustment, that makes it sound like they first tried to hide something and were later forced to say it. In actuality, the roll cage and Cup 2 tires were in the official press release. They were quite up front about how the roll cage added weight and they removed stuff to get the weight back to the stock range. Thatā€™s totally fair considering you need the roll cage for safety particular after some serious accidents in other Honda prototypes.

For the photo with no visible seat, how do you know the missing seat isnā€™t just reclined? Thatā€™s often done to give a better view for an onboard camera. Is there an actual photo showing a bare floor?
Yep it kinda sound like that way at first, let me elaborate what I mean. In the press release, Honda only said it's ā€œstreet legal, track-focused tiresā€, which can referring to many lower priced non-semi-slick performance tires, for example PS4s, a really good track day choice/excellent road used tire that release in 2017. iirc, Honda(not NA region account) had sent a tweet saying the tire is Cup2(180 semi slick), I really try to find that tweet. Anyway, various magzines had asked Honda, and it was comfirmed the tire is Cup2. For the roll cage part, yes, I forget to check original press release, Honda said there is roll cage with no rigidity added. it is 100% reasonable for track, but if that's weld-in cage, how can it not add rigidity? that's what I mean by Behind the scene, no one can really tell. Just for fun, can anyone find anything is off from this picļ¼Ÿ
11th Gen Honda Civic Drift King and the 2023 Civic Type R 1664132122908

For the FL5 record, I think I include a link above, or you can go to press release. Both high resolution downloaded from press kit. Just zoom in, even the seat is reclined, from the 2nd photo's angle, you should be able to see it a little bit since the recaro seat is red. well, it's also arguable because there is no actual photo showing a bare floor I guess
11th Gen Honda Civic Drift King and the 2023 Civic Type R 01 2023 Honda Civic Type R Sets New Suzuka Lap Record

11th Gen Honda Civic Drift King and the 2023 Civic Type R 05 2023 Honda Civic Type R Sets New Suzuka Lap Record

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VA WRX STI,
There is the Part.2 video

Suzuka Circuit, Driver Akihiko Nakaya, racing driver& famous ā€œBest Motoringā€ series presenter
The coolant/oil temp reaches 113Ā°C/145Ā°C at the end of 2nd flying lap (after the first partial cooldown lap), the ambient temperature is 28Ā°c
the 2nd flying lap time is 2:30.98. For pure initial comparison use, the official record is 2:23.12/ FK8 LE's 2:23.993

11th Gen Honda Civic Drift King and the 2023 Civic Type R 1664227697827

Last edited:

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Nice. There are other vis showing up on YouTube - looks like media drivers are paced drive lined by the LE. Really cool to watch. Honda is brilliant- just grade A gold standard (except giving cars to Japanese dealerships for fun).
Sponsored