• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Engine Coolant - Blue Low Temp Indicator

Cooper

First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI - Sonic Gray Pearl
So I noticed that the blue Low Temp Indicator turns off very quickly on my SI. Yes, it is summertime, but it is much sooner than my Fit used to register. I hooked up a Bluetooth OBD reader (OBDLink), and it appears to turn off around 45 degrees Celsius. When I tested my Fit, I think it was around 55 or 57C. Normal operating temp is around 84C with the stock thermostat.

Since we don't have a true temp gauge, this is the only way I know to avoid full throttle and high RPM. But is 45C really safe to start really stressing the engine? Seems like Honda is saying, "doesn't really matter once it's above 45, you're good to go all-out!" Maybe I worry too much about the engine heating up all the way. I've heard people say most engine wear happens in the first 30 seconds after startup. I've heard others say you want the engine oil to get hot first; but we don't have an oil temp gauge, and our oil is pretty thin to begin with.

What do others think about how soon it is "safe" to mash on the throttle and let it rev?
Sponsored

Cneumann320

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic sport touring 6 speed manual
I'd just wait for the bars to stop climbing before mashing it. Let the thermostat open fully and go from there. If you're really that concerned, start it up cold with the hood open, put your hand on the upper rad hose or use a temp gun and find out exactly when the thermostat opens according to your dash coolant temp gauge. Generally should be 185 degrees or so, give or take. Generally most thermostats open then.

But good on ya for being aware of that! Even more so in the winter! That's why it's important to plug cars in when it's cold. I've seen other people just jump in them after starting and go.. lol.. that will eventually cause long term damage.

I'm a nazi about warm ups and cool downs.
The auto stop start drives me bananas. I'd like to put a turbo timer In mine for that reason. Depending on the type of turbo, if you hot shut down a turbo, the oil can coke onto the shafts/bushings/bearings and actually cause premature turbo failure.
I have changed maaaaaaany cummins ISX turbos because of this - and they have coolant flowing through the vgt to help regulate temperatures.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
You shouldn't be smashing until the oil is at operating temp to be safe. That low temp light is just there for cold weather and really I don't understand why they would even put it in any vehicle. Until your temp gauge is in the middle you shouldn't be running your car hard regardless unless you have to.

kev2069667

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic EX Sedan
I usually keep it below 4k until the transmission heats up. It will feel smoother engaging gears. Especially 1-2 shift. Once the transmission feels warmed up I assume the engine oil is hot enough and can floor it.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
45 degs C in summer is okay, the oil is thicker at that temp compared to full operating temp but not too thick. On a 0w20 full synthetic oil flow will be pretty quick at that temp, not much to worry about.
Sponsored