• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Engine Coolants

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Interested in opinions (+&-) about radiator additives designed to lower engine temperatures. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Sponsored

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Like for track use, or just street driving?

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I run factory coolant without additives in the winter. For the warmer months since I'll be tracking during those months I use 1 bottle of water wetter, 1 gallon of distilled water, and fill the remaining capacity with factory coolant.

OP
OP
Rad Ray

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Any opinion on Mishimoto Liquid Chill for general use? It’s advertised to mix with any coolant and one bottle for our (FL5) engines. I’ve used Water Weter too and had zero problems, but only minimal cooling.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Any opinion on Mishimoto Liquid Chill for general use? It’s advertised to mix with any coolant and one bottle for our (FL5) engines. I’ve used Water Weter too and had zero problems, but only minimal cooling.
It's really not necessary for any climate in the U.S. to stray away from the factory coolant. I run the factory coolant in the off season. So no need for additives, the engine simply isn't going to get hot enough to cause damage.

If you attend several track events during the spring/summer/fall then I'd swap out the factory coolant for something that can handle more thermal capacity, and then at the end of the season you would drain it out and refill with regular old factory coolant. I tested my go-to coolant mixture for track use and it is only good down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit without freezing. The factory coolant is good for temperatures that drop into the negatives.
Sponsored