• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Exactly how much does an intake improve the engine tone?

I used to vtec

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic SI
I was very fortunate to be able to get a ride in a local guy's fl5 yesterday (shout-out Chris in Tampa if you're on here). Amazing car and really helped me feel comfortable commiting a down payment on one.

Other than a somewhat firmer ride than I expected, which I'm okay with, my only real criticism of the car is the engine noise is probably the worst I have ever heard from a performance -oriented car. I watched the YouTube videos and read the reviews and it still didn't prepare me for how wimpy it sounded in person. I come from the k-series motor days of my 07 civic SI, and the FL5 was definitely a disappointment there.

I'm curious, other than making the engine louder, do intakes improve the tone much? I was less disappointed with the how quiet it was and more disappointed that it did sound like a small kitchen appliance.
Sponsored

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Unfortunately, most turbocharged 4-cylinder does not have a great soundtrack on its own without pumped-in engine noise/soundaktor. An intake usually improve some sound, but people are still developing FL5-specific intake at this point. The temporary quick fix for now is to replace the stock air filter with a high-flow one so you can hear the turbo more.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
There are FL5 intakes. K&N which I have noticeably improved sound. In the other thread about this word is the Sprint (makes the Spoon filter) sounds even better. Sprint also has a $300 one that is supposed to be 3x better than the regular $110 one!

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/drop-in-k-n-filter-available-for-fl5.51414/page-4#post-854764

Enjoy!

Edit: I guess you may be asking about the exhaust sound after re-reading this? It won't help with that but the whoosh whooshes are real cool.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
No Forced induction 4cyl with integrated exhaust manifolds sound great in my opinion. All very bland.. drop in filter might help and is very cost effective though.
Sponsored