• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Extended Range Fuel Tank?

HeroicDeath

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 991.2 C4GTS, GLE350d
I was wondering if there's been any effort to increase the volume of the fuel tank - would be very interested in the product since it's such a pain point for a number of owners.

It would be nice if something like Porsche's extended range fuel tank that's included in the 911s.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen
My best guess is that you'd have to find a larger honda tank that would potentially fit in the same space. I guess someone could make an aftermarket one, but adding a larger tank without somehow changing some of the ECU code would render the mileage and range calculations wholly inaccurate.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
The simple answer is no, and I wouldn't expect there to ever be anything substantial to "resolve" this "problem".

Porsche gets away with it in a 911 because it's a rear-engined car. Honda/Acura have their reasons. It's annoying but in the broad scheme of things it's not that big of a deal.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I guess someone could make an aftermarket one, but adding a larger tank without somehow changing some of the ECU code would render the mileage and range calculations wholly inaccurate.
I don't think one would care about Distance-to-Empty (DTE) calculation at that point. Gas mileage calculation can be based on fuel flow rate, which may not be affected.

Race version of FL5 do have fuel cell of a much larger capacity as the stock gas tank is way too small.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
If there was room for a larger tank without sacrificing interior space, exhaust flow routing, and underbody aero, I’m sure Honda would’ve provided a larger tank to begin with.

If you want to give up those things you might be able to wedge the fuel tank from a normal Civic hatch in there somehow.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Race version of FL5 do have fuel cell as the stock gas tank is way too small.
Exactly. One can easily remove the rear interior and put in a fuel cell…but I’m guessing this would not be acceptable to most, including the OP.🤣

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I used to tote around a VP racing fuel jug in the backseat of my STI when I was getting ~20 MPG and needed to go longer distances.

Do you drive often enough to warrant a gas tank that provides over 300 miles of range?

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I tend to be more conservative and fill up right when the light comes on.

If you're getting 300 miles consistently out of your CTR, good for you, but honestly you're not enjoying it enough imho...

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
There's no effort or product I am aware of to increase the size of the fuel tank. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze on this one. This car is imperfect, like every other car. I don't see the value in looking to solve for every perceived misstep by Honda.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
300?! You must have an Si

With the type R, avg range I'm getting from DD usage is around 200-220.
You must have an extremely heavy foot. Shifting at redline all the time.

Fuelly.com filtered by TypeR.
15 vehicles averaged 25.4.
25mpg x 12gallons = 300

11th Gen Honda Civic Extended Range Fuel Tank? Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 11.37.53 AM

I don't drive my ITS conservatively or like it was stolen and get 25mpgs

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
12 gallons !?! Lmao yeah.....no. Most people here are filling up around the 10 gallon mark. Put it up to a vote if you'd like, but it sounds like you're extrapolating your real world range a bit.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
12 gallons !?! Lmao yeah.....no. Most people here are filling up around the 10 gallon mark. Put it up to a vote if you'd like, but it sounds like you're extrapolating your real world range a bit.

This !
Completely depends on your driving habits and there's roughly another ~2 gallons left after the low fuel notification comes on.
Official manufacturer specifications
11th Gen Honda Civic Extended Range Fuel Tank? Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 1.18.11 PM
Sponsored