• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Extremely concerning data sharing by Honda and other makers about our driving with insurance/LexisNexis

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 CW CTR
They want us to sign up for the app so we can buy the add ons/subscription like packages

OP
OP
Gansan

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
They want us to sign up for the app so we can buy the add ons/subscription like packages
I thought it was as simple as that too, but using HondaLink means you have to say yes to data sharing. After that, if it's like what GM does, Honda is potentially sharing details of every drive you take with insurance compaies, like accelerometer data of how hard you accelerate and brake and that's a different level of detail. LexisNexis is paying for that data so it becomes an additional revenue stream.

I wanted to play with LogR, so I connected the car directly to my home wifi. That means it is able to upload my data to the cloud for their use. So I'm definitely not going to do that any more.

I mean, you bought a car from them. They already have a ton of your information, but if you're worried about the app, you can sign up and get it and then disable all the network data and locations like I did.
I'm not really worried as much about the HondaLink app. It requires OS-level permissions from the phone OS, so it's clear when it uses your location data or other features.

edit: I ordered my consumer risk report from LexisNexis so we'll see if there's any driving data in there. I've only had my new car a few weeks so I don't know if it would be in there in that short a time.

Last edited:

VT Skier

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 SGP
According to the Honda website, you have to "deactivate" the "Driver Feedback" on the "My Vehicles" page. Hopefully turning off data sharing in your phone works too.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It appears to me that this only matters if you use HondaLink (which is where the permissions are). If you don’t use HondaLink, then there’s no problem…unless I’m missing something?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
There’s no driver feedback for the FL5 on Honda Link in the US. So you can’t see trips or speeds. I think we’re okay. Accord, CRV owners, etc have to worry. Driver feedback would be a button on bottom of app- we don’t have it.
IMG_9302.png
That’s my understanding too. When I logged into mygarage online (after digging around and finally finding the Driver Feedback area), it appears that only a few select vehicle models and years are listed as part of this HondaLink thing. My guess is that these vehicles (vehicle owners) were auto-enrolled when they signed the paperwork when buying their cars. It makes me think that this happened prior to legislation that now prohibits stuff like this. I never enrolled in HondaLink, thankfully. I am always SUPER skeptical of anything that says “Agree to all this fine print (that no one reads), so that we can use your data. In return you will receive value-added promotions for products and services from our partners.” Yeah…no thanks!!! Be wary of this kind of stuff, folks!

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

Seelen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Hey all...I was concerned about this as well.

Others are saying this isn't a problem, but that's not what I'm reading from the available settings and services.

Depite not being supported for the standard Civic, or even being listed on the general HondaLink page, the FL5 Type-R does have a modem and suppprts full HondaLink Remote capabilities (as well as "Basic" and "Link" levels)

you have to pay $10/mo to access Remote level, which is where the "Driver Feedback" features are, but it's crucial to note that it doesn't mean the information isn't being collected anyway. It simply means they aren't giving you that access unless you pay

To disable the settings that allows for the sharing to occur:
Go into General Settings -> System -> "Data Sharing Setting", where you can disable.

As near as I can tell, system updates are the one important thing you'd lose here, so I'd recommend turning this back on for an hour at least every week or so.I'm planning on doing it when I clean the car.

At the very least, turn this off before you engage in any spirited driving, especially on the track (since it wouldn't know the difference)

I don't have any concrete data, and I don't think we will until we pull our Lexis reports, but this is the best workaround we have until we're sure!

11th Gen Honda Civic Extremely concerning data sharing by Honda and other makers about our driving with insurance/LexisNexis 20240322_164426

11th Gen Honda Civic Extremely concerning data sharing by Honda and other makers about our driving with insurance/LexisNexis 20240322_164502

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I pay for Honda link and there’s no driver feedback on the FL5. The data sharing and modem is for remote commands to know if door is open, hood popped, unlock, etc. I posted a screenshot earlier. I wish it had driver feedback option so I could see what my mechanic did with my car recently.
So you pay a subscription to check on your door locks? Just set it so they auto lock when you walk away

Seelen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
It’s a lot more than that. Can locate my car- used it when leaving a football game because I had no idea where I parked. Can see if there are any DTCs lit, check fuel, oil life/maintenance minder, mileage. Can set a geofence and get alerted if it exits (I do this when dropping off at my detailed), can set speed alerts (same as before), send locations to the nav from my phone, etc. The Honda Link page details everything. It’s only $120 a year. Only thing it lacks is driver feedback, which I wish it had. It does much more than the key fob functions.
The fact that you can set speed alerts means it is obviously collecting those metrics

Remember, LogR is Driver Feedback on steroids. Just because they don't offer it to *you* as a feature, doesn't mean they aren't pulling and storing the data

The one grace I might extend to Honda is, since this is made to be a track car, perhaps they won't sell to insurance because it's impossible to discern track use from daily and they'd want to avoid a possible suit over that. They'd also be aware that nobody would buy their performance cars if that became public (which it now has for others)

but the data is there for them to take, regardless of whether they've found a way to shoehorn it into the Feedback APIs
Sponsored

Last edited: