• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First gear completely blocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
We shouldn't have to shift gears in sequence to prevent the gears from freezing. That's ludicrous. I've been skipping gears in my M cars for two decades and have never had transmission issues.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Interesting info I found online to the question: Is it bad to skip gears in a manual transmission?

ā€œFrom an ex-manual transmission engineer - it dependsā€¦

If you are upshifting it wonā€™t hurt the transmission at all. (OK, maybe infinitesimally but not enough to matter over the next 500,000 or so miles.) However, you may get to a gear thatā€™s too high for the speed you are going and either stall the engine or not have any power to accelerate. Youā€™ll figure that one out very quickly so it probably wonā€™t be an issue more than once.

Downshifting is another story. Downshifting is always harder on the synchronizers. (For anyone not aware, synchronizers are the things that make for smooth shifting.) Why? Because during an UPshift you need to slow down the clutch disc that is already trying to slow down whereas a DOWNshift is doing the opposite - itā€™s trying to speed up the clutch disc that wants to slow down. If you are downshifting at a relatively high speed for the gear you are shifting into, it can be *very* hard on the synchronizers. Of course, doing this a few times wonā€™t be an issue. Do it on a regular basis and your sychronizers wonā€™t last long.

Some possibilities ā€¦
- Shifting into 1st gear 0 miles per hour - no synchro wear at all.
- Shifting into 1st gear just before coming to a complete stop (probably less than 5 miles per hour in most cars) - no significant synchro wear. (I do this at most stops.)
- Shifting into 1st gear at a speed that will give you 4,000 RPM in 1st gear - not really a good idea due to increased synchro wear but it wonā€™t damage anything right away.
- Shifting into any gear at a speed that would result in more than maximum engine RPM if you let the clutch out - much harder on the synchro (and requires a lot more force on the shift lever) AND likely to remove the clutch friction material due to excessive centrifugal force. (If you know someone who says their engine was so strong that they pulled the friction material off the clutch disc when they popped the clutch in a racing start, they are wrong. The facing material canā€™t be removed that way unless it has already been damaged - such as by downshifting too soon to a low gear and spinning it off. I could go into more detail but it gets complicated. Just trust me.)
- Double clutching into a lower gear - If done properly, no damage at all because the clutch disc will be slowing down as you shift into the lower gear. I.e., the clutch and synchros think you are upshifting as you go into the lower gear.

Bottom lineā€¦
The harder you need to push on the shift lever or the more time it takes to complete the shift when downshifting, the more damage you are doing to the synchronizers.

Note also that a slow upshift can be almost as bad. If you take too long, the clutch disc will slow down so much that the synchros will need to speed it back up! So when you upshift, just do it. Itā€™s designed to work that way. Donā€™t power shift; just do it. Iā€™ve seen people try to be easy on their synchros by doing a step-by-step upshift (go to neutral, move the lever sideways, go into the next gear in 3 separate steps) and thatā€™s almost as hard on the synchros as a downshift.ā€

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
You said you ā€œbelieve 1st gear doesnā€™t have a sychro.ā€ I canā€™t verify this with absolute certainty, but Iā€™m pretty positive this isnā€™t correct. I havenā€™t heard or read about a modern manual trans that didnā€™t have sychros for all gears. I think your first gear sychro is damaged, man.ā˜¹

Last edited:
OP
OP

Biscuitpie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000, 2018 340i
You said you ā€œbelieve 1st gear doesnā€™t have a sychro.ā€ I canā€™t verify this with absolute certainty, but Iā€™m pretty positive this isnā€™t correct. I havenā€™t heard or read about a modern manual trans that didnā€™t have sychros for all gears. I think your first gear sychro is damaged, man.ā˜¹
You could be right, either way I don't think there's going to be good news...

As far as the gear skipping discussion above, I've never done any of that to first gear. I'll only shift to first at a stop or like 3 mph or less. Upshifting I usually don't skip either, but that's not relevant to damaging first. I'm getting flashbacks to my Corvettes making me skip from 1 to 4 at like 15 mph for fuel economy

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Ok I see operator error written all over this....no mods..but this guy know exactly how and where and what to check, regarding this shifting issue?????Very curious to see the dealership invoice after service....

OP
OP

Biscuitpie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000, 2018 340i
Ok I see operator error written all over this....no mods..but this guy know exactly how and where and what to check, regarding this shifting issue?????Very curious to see the dealership invoice after service....
I'd love for a technical explanation of what operator error could cause this issue. Every car forum always has a guy that thinks there are 0 issues with their favorite car. Here's a thread where I was the very first person to have an issue that turned out to be a factory defect which someone else ended up experiencing after: https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...-collision-braking-mitigation-problems.51817/

As far as knowing where to look, yeah I can use Google pretty well. It's like half my job

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, again, based on what youā€™re saying I donā€™t see how you couldā€™ve damaged the first gear sychroā€¦though it appears to have happened. Like you, I pretty much never use first gear except when going forward from a stop, or pulling slowly into my garage, or driving slowly in a parking lot, etc. It is extremely rare that I downshift to first, which is where operator induced issues are most likely to happen (per that quote info I posted earlier).

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Agreed. If itā€™s legit its trying to downshift into first when over 7mph which auto locks. I still call BS.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Agreed. If itā€™s legit its trying to downshift into first when over 7mph which auto locks. I still call BS.
Dudeā€¦.heā€™s locked out of first gear when sitting still. šŸ§

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Hoping dealership should be able to take care of this. Staying tuned to what they have to say.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
We shouldn't have to shift gears in sequence to prevent the gears from freezing. That's ludicrous. I've been skipping gears in my M cars for two decades and have never had transmission issues.
Me 2
Done it on my Honda cars for years and those transmission were working flawlessly.
Sponsored