• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FK8 LE or FL5 (Sonic Grey)

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Hi All!

I need some help and some opinion from FK8 & FL5 owners. I currently have a 2021 LE (FK8), I love it, Phoenix Yellow just looks perfect on the FK8. That said, I have the opportunity to trade in the LE for a FL5 (Sonic Grey). I'm torn and don't know what to do, my biggest questions are:

1. Which one will be worth more in the long run? LE being the Honda "halo" vehicle, but FL5 assembled in Japan.
2. Which one do you like more?

Thanks, appreciate the feedback and opinions.
Sponsored

holland1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
What is the FL5 going to cost and how much are they giving your for the LE?

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I would hold it until the last model year of the FL5, just wait and see if they ever do a FL5 refresh or a FL5 LE. There's absolutely no need to get a FL5 right now unless you really want one. You already paid the 'CTR Tax' so there's no need to rush. Its already been confirmed that the CTR is not going away after the FL5.

Imo trading in a FK8 LE for a FL5 is a scam deal anyways. That would be akin to trading in my GT350 for the new S650 Dark Horse. Horrible deal.

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
I haven't taken the car to the dealership yet for a valuation yet, I would want at least what I paid for the LE in trade in value. The FL5 would cost MRSP.

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
I would hold it until the last model year of the FL5, just wait and see if they ever do a FL5 refresh or a FL5 LE. There's absolutely no need to get a FL5 right now unless you really want one. You already paid the 'CTR Tax' so there's no need to rush. Its already been confirmed that the CTR is not going away after the FL5.

Imo trading in a FK8 LE for a FL5 is a scam deal anyways. That would be akin to trading in my GT350 for the new S650 Dark Horse. Horrible deal.

Thanks, luckily I was one of the lucky 100 in Canada that got their LE's for MSRP. All great points you mentioned, there will likely be a FL5 refresh with an LE option. I like the FL5, just not prepared to get scammed or "duped" value wise.

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
The FL5 will be MSRP, the trade in for LE would be very close to the FL5 MSRP. I guess the bigger question is do I like the FL5 enough to trade in my LE or wait for a FL5 refresh, but who knows what the supply chain will look like in a couple of years.

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
I'm in a similar situation. I currently own a LE that I barely drive, but really like the new FL5. I was never crazy about the FK8 styling. My currently daily driver a 2011 Camry has seen better days. I'm thinking about making the trade and daily driving the FL5 and using my Camry for winter. After its all said and done I'll probably get back $5k in my pocket by making the switch.

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
In 20 years, the LE will be worth a lot more than an FL5 (if you plan to keep the car for awhile).
This is true, case in point, 2001 Phoenix Yellow Integra Type R's range from $60K to $100K depending on condition.

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
I'm in a similar situation. I currently own a LE that I barely drive, but really like the new FL5. I was never crazy about the FK8 styling. My currently daily driver a 2011 Camry has seen better days. I'm thinking about making the trade and daily driving the FL5 and using my Camry for winter. After its all said and done I'll probably get back $5k in my pocket by making the switch.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there in the same conundrum. Initially, when the FK8 first came out, it was a bit much, but over time the styling has really grown on me. I love the FL5 interior, but the outside is almost to toned down and subdued. I might just flip a coin on this. Ideally, I'd love to have the FL5 as my daily and the LE as my garage queen, but that won't happen unless I win the lottery.

RickyJeezus

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Hi All!

I need some help and some opinion from FK8 & FL5 owners. I currently have a 2021 LE (FK8), I love it, Phoenix Yellow just looks perfect on the FK8. That said, I have the opportunity to trade in the LE for a FL5 (Sonic Grey). I'm torn and don't know what to do, my biggest questions are:

1. Which one will be worth more in the long run? LE being the Honda "halo" vehicle, but FL5 assembled in Japan.

I would say it depends on use case.

If I had an LE right now, and it was a 2nd or 3rd car along a daily driver and maybe a fun project car, then I would not look into the FL5 until maybe the final model year if they do come out with some sort of special edition.

If the LE is more of a daily for you, and you find that you are putting majority of your miles on it, then I would lean towards getting into the FL5. If someone we're to ask me what I wish was different from the factory on my FK8 I would say better build quality and a better infotainment/sound system. FL5 gives me all of that.

Looking 5-10 yrs into the future if you are planning on keeping it that long, I would agree with everyone here and say the LE is going to keep your money safer, unless they drop a 2025 Type R LE in Phoenix Yellow...then that would be the one to get because I'm sure Phoenix Yellow would look even better on the FL5 than it does on the FK8.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Hi All!

If you’re thinking of getting the one from Richmond or Abbotsford don’t. They are asking way to much and are trying to set the market by nabbing a guy like you. They are double fucking you because you have the way rarer car.

Be patient with your LE especially if you like the styling. Get the fomo out of your mind.

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
Hi All!

I own a LE FK8 (USA - 031) and a CW FL5. There is zero chance I would have parted with my LE if it was a requirement to obtain the FL5.

The only exception to that would be if you intended to daily drive either car. The interior improvements/ergonomics of the FL5 really do make it a better daily IMO.

I really love both but for different reasons. I personally believe the LE FK8 will end up being more valuable in the long run.

I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to profit off the resale of three LEs that I purchased for MSRP/just above MSRP, so the LE I kept was effectively “free”, other than my time invested to close said deals.

Best of luck in whatever you decide and for the record, I think the FL5 looks great in SGP.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Do you already have an allocation for an incoming FL5? I’m assuming you do since you mentioned it would be at MSRP.

As RickyJeezus said, it would depend on my usage case: As a garage queen/occasional drive to the car show, I would for sure rather keep the FK8 LE. As a daily driver I’m racking on miles with, I would rather have the nicer and newer interior of the FL5, and I prefer its looks - long term value wouldn’t matter to me if I’m driving it a ton. Also less worry on my mind about devaluation if I’m intending to drive it a ton.

Where it gets muddied is if it’s an in-between of those two usage scenarios. I like the look of the FL5 a lot more, but the FK8 LE is much more rare in the grand scheme of the Type R and automotive landscape.

FWIW, mine would be an in-betweeny usage case where it wouldn’t be my daily driver nor would I subject it to winter grime, but I would drive it a ton on nice evenings, weekends, occasional track days, car shows. I would 100% take a new FL5 over a used FK8 LE.

Hexcivic

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
USA-127
USA-127 here. Dealer called me with a SGP FL5. I was never big on the FK8 styling but I've grown to love it (especially in PY) It was going to be basically a wash as far as price (paid $50k for the LE). So I drove to the dealership in the LE. After seeing the 2 together it was a no brainer for me. The LE is still in the garage. I do have 5 other cars to drive and the LE just marinates. That all being said my god the FL5 interior is awesome.
Sponsored

Last edited: